What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly-in/Drop-Off Engine Overhaul Shops

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
Folks,

Anyone know of a good/reputable engine overhaul shop in the southeast, basically the southeastern quadrant of the country, where you can take your plane and they do all of the work on-site: removal, overhaul, reinstall?
...basically a one-stop shop, rather than pulling/crating/shipping the engine.

Thanks!

Drop Off for overhaul

Check Out jbaircraftengines.com Jimmy Brod has an excellent reputation! Although he may be a little busy cleaning up this week thanks to IAN. :eek:

You could also try Twin Aircraft Engines in Newnan, GA. I used them for something on my engine and they drove to me to repair at my airport. Good dudes.

+2 for JB Aircraft Engine Service in Sebring, FL. (Jimmy Brod) Drop it off, come and get it when’s it’s done.

Curious about this:

Supply chain issues being what they are: Where do they put your airplane if the overhaul takes four months?

- mark

You could also try Twin Aircraft Engines in Newnan, GA. I used them for something on my engine and they drove to me to repair at my airport. Good dudes.
I'm assuming they're at CCO?

That would be VERY convenient for getting back home, back for pickup. Easy Uber to/from Hartsfield.

I'm assuming they're at CCO?

That would be VERY convenient for getting back home, back for pickup. Easy Uber to/from Hartsfield.

They are. And Synergy Air South is a couple hangars down. They might be able to help with the engine removal and reinstall.

Looks like a nice, quality shop, but....don't see how I'd get to/from an airport for airline travel to/from home. Sebring is in the middle there, all by itself.

Looks like you need to find a engine overhaul shop at an airport with airline service. That makes it a little more challenging. There is Signature Engines at KLUK (Cincinnati). KCVG (airline) is a quick Uber ride away. It is a reputable shop - not as good as Jimmy of course, and a little more pricey - but might be what you’re looking for logistically.

Looks like you need to find a engine overhaul shop at an airport with airline service.
Not necessarily, just one that's a reasonable Uber ride to an airline airport. And is in a city that is likely to have an Uber available! That's what moves the shop at Newnan/Coweta County (CCO) to the top of the list for me.

The shop in Sebring comes highly recommended, and getting an Uber would likely be easy, but it's a HIKE to an airline airport, looks like either SRQ or PBI. That shop near Chattanooga is not tooooo far from Chatanooga, but the town looks like it might have a population of 20 :)

I’ll add a recommendation for Twin Aircraft Engines at KCCO (Newnan, GA). I’m based at CCO so I’m biased but the guys there gave me exceptional service this week.

I broke a starter adapter on my 182 last Saturday at Triple Tree, stranding the plane. Monday morning, I gave them the starter adapter and by noon on Tuesday, it was overhauled and I was able to get my plane back. Exceptional service!

Last edited:
I am in the process of overhauling my motor. I called all of the local shops and they were 3-4 months backlogged. The machine shops (Divco) that does crank and case work are similarly backed up so it may take some time.

As to how to get home, a one way rental car is likely your best bet. If you need to airline, Uber or Lyft can get you to a major airport.

Sebring Fl just took a big hit from Ian an much of it is without power as this is typed.

Priorities?

I would be more concerned about the shop that removes, overhauls and replaces my engine than ground transportation. You will be paying for and flying that airplane around a lot longer than the inconvenience of getting there and back.

Do you have any friends with airplanes that could pick you up and drop you off?

+++ What was just written

That my friends is a very astute observation of the situation!:D

Back