What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Help identifying and placing value on engine

GyroRon

I have a friend who owns an experiemental aircraft that is powered by a Lycoming O-320, and he wants to part out the aircraft. Trying to determine what model exactly this engine is, and what type of value it may have.

It is a Lycoming 0-320. The data plate just shows 0-320, serial number L 5592-27

It has 288 hours since overhaul. And for what it's worth, its super clean and looks brand new.

The data plate is currently not riveted to the engine, it was removed when the engine was installed on the experimental 288 hours ago and stuck into the engines log book.

Not sure if the engine can be put back on a certified aircraft or not? Or if it can, what the process is to put it back on.

Not really enough data to provide an estimate. Need to know the letters after the O-320-. It cannot easily be installed on a certified aircraft - will need re-certifying, the cost of that depends on who does it, up to a full overhaul.

Any reasonable core engine is probably worth $5K. As this is running with around 300 hours could be significantly more, but all depends on,
- How many hours in the last 12 months / 3 months?
- Any periods of significant inactivity?
- Exactly what spec engine and what accessories included.
- Who carried out the last overhaul to what standard
- How many hours on the core (seems like an early s/n).

Teardown likely

As an AP/IA, I would have difficulty making that certified again. There is likely not a trail of what's going on "inside" and without a full teardown, parts compatibility and trace that the data plate mentioned is from that particular engine, it would be a hard sell in my opinion. There is no reason the data plate needed removed in the first place, though it is not needed on an experimental. I rebuilt an O320H2AD for my RV-4 as per Lyco with all yellow tag and new matching components ,and left the data plate on, so I have traceability for everything. Also, AD's if applicable would have to be accomplished and recorded to have an engine log worthy of continued certification. My 2 cents.

Not really enough data to provide an estimate. Need to know the letters after the O-320-. It cannot easily be installed on a certified aircraft - will need re-certifying, the cost of that depends on who does it, up to a full overhaul.

Any reasonable core engine is probably worth $5K. As this is running with around 300 hours could be significantly more, but all depends on,
- How many hours in the last 12 months / 3 months?
- Any periods of significant inactivity?
- Exactly what spec engine and what accessories included.
- Who carried out the last overhaul to what standard
- How many hours on the core (seems like an early s/n).

I figured someone would ask those kinds of questions.

The data plate just simply shows O-320 with nothing behind that.

The serial number shows L-5592-27

The log book shows the same numbers.

the log book shows the engine was installed in N2319P, and before that, N5920D

I would need to go to the airport and look through the logs, as I am pretty sure it was installed on a different plane after 2319P, before being pulled and overhauled, and put on the airframe its on now.

As an AP/IA, I would have difficulty making that certified again. There is likely not a trail of what's going on "inside" and without a full teardown, parts compatibility and trace that the data plate mentioned is from that particular engine, it would be a hard sell in my opinion. There is no reason the data plate needed removed in the first place, though it is not needed on an experimental. I rebuilt an O320H2AD for my RV-4 as per Lyco with all yellow tag and new matching components ,and left the data plate on, so I have traceability for everything. Also, AD's if applicable would have to be accomplished and recorded to have an engine log worthy of continued certification. My 2 cents.

I totally understand. Being in and around experimental aviation for over 20 years I have seen and heard a lot of stuff, including stuff that was more fiction than fact. I know there are some folks that believe if a engine goes onto a experimental aircraft, the data plate has to come off.

Obviously the most value this engine would have is if it is able to go back on the nose of a certified airplane, without having to spend much money to do so. Otherwise, the value becomes lower and lower, depending on condition and what types of airframes it is suitable for.

I think the main jist of what I wanted to know beside the value, is what airframes this engine would be suitable for. It is not a dynafocal style mounting, and I do not believe it is set up for constant speed. Looks like its a run of a mill Tri pacer engine...

Engine

Likely a narrow deck 150 horsepower. On the top of the crankcase near the rear you will find a serial number ending in -27 or 27A. This will confirm narrow deck by lack of the A. Least desirable of the 0 320's except for the H series.

If you want to know exactly what you’ve got, give Lycoming a call - explain that you have a serial number, and they’ll be able to look up the build records. I did that with the factory Lyc on Louise’s -6 a couple years ago, and they were able to identify the configuration right down to the specific rods that were installed. They’ve got good records, and respond surprisingly quickly!

Looks like it started life on a 1956 PA22-150 as a 150-HP Lycoming O-320-A1A. But you need to confirm it.

I rebuilt one of these as an experimental engine for my replica super cub. Replaced everything but the cases and connecting rods. New cylinders, cam, and lifters. Used crank at .006 under. I did my own labor and all-in it cost me $13,000. Runs smooth and strong and doesn’t make any metal.

The crank is the biggest variable. When I did mine 4years ago new cranks were over 6k. The more paperwork on parts the better off you are. If it’s been run recently and consistently with no issues I wouldn’t be afraid to ask at least 10k for it. More if you have paperwork on the crank. As stated above, only good for experimentals or airboats.

Last edited:
Obviously the most value this engine would have is if it is able to go back on the nose of a certified airplane, without having to spend much money to do so. Otherwise…...

And, you got your answer, from an AP/IA. To go back onto a normally certified airplane, the AI has to certify that the engine conforms to its type certificate, and it’s near impossible to do that without a tear down, which won’t be cheap.

Value

I purchase a mid-time narrow deck O-360 for my RV-7 for 9500. I think the only original part was the data plate. Check the prices at Wentworth’s and Texas Air Salvage.

Buying a mid-time engine can be a savings if someone is building on a budget. You do have to be very aware of what you are buying and be willing to risk the overhaul costs. On the other hand you can get several hundred hours out of the engine. For some that might be 7 - 10 years of service.

Back