What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Identify this recess inside of top cowling

KiloFoxtrot

Well Known Member
Happy Memorial Day!

I would like to know what the small recess is for on the Right inside of the top cowling. (RV7A). In the picture you will see the recess for the oil door bottom left, and above that near front of cowl there is a small rectangular recess.

I'm finishing up the baffles and they are directly below this recess. I'm thinking I should fill it in with micro and contour to shape. The reason is that the baffle seal would seal better if all was smooth.

What is it for?

Can I, Should I fill it in?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_151952630.jpg
    IMG_20220530_151952630.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 203
Don’t forget to bond in the upper inlet ramps as they are needed for proper cooling. These ramps will most likely cover part of that recess; and yes fill in what needs filled once you get the upper inlet ramps installed and have the baffling installed. As for what the recess is for to begin with I can not help you there.

God Bless
Bill

Thank you all for the information.

I'll have to test fit the ramps and see how much of the recess gets covered. Then I'll see how close the spark plug wire is. There is no mention of it in my instructions.

The 200hp angle valve IO-360 needs more clearance for the #1 cylinder from my understanding. It’s not necessary for the IO-360-M1B. Once the ramps are installed, you can fill as desired.

Back