What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib Rivet Callout Page 14-5 "4 Places"?

steve murray

Well Known Member
RV10 Wing section - Page 14-5 (bottom left corner) calls out AN470AD4-5 "4 places" for the next to last outboard and 3rd from last outboard ribs.

There are 8 holes in these ribs mounting them to the spar. Is this just a typo, should it read "8 places" instead of "4 places"?

Steve

I vaguely remember this, yes there are 8 rivets and not 4. Nothing else attaches or sandwiches here, and if I remember correctly we did install all 8 for each of the outer ribs (except of course the outermost one which is only supposed to be cleco'ed) at this time.

A word of caution, I posted something about it here a while back, but on the very next page when you start to install bolts, pay extra-special attention to the hardware callouts. Some of the places call for 2 washers instead of just one (even though only one is depicted). If you only install one, the bolts may appear to snug up just fine but actually bottom out on the threads.

Revision 1 of the drawings (PDF files from Van's) call out 8 rivets for these ribs.

We may have a doc control issue... my page 14-5 Rev 1 shows 4 rivets???

AF1QipPmYJUWse8WwlF0VvlekCULyXmIgRMC3ym-Bvcc

Doc control issues - warning about Ailerons

My paper plans drawing 14-5 is dated 7/24/14 and marked as Revision 1. It incorrectly calls out 4 rivets in those locations, as pointed out by the OP. The PDF plans, also labelled as revision 1, have a date of 12/31/03 marked on them, but correctly call out 8 rivets.

An even more amusing documentation control issue may be waiting for you in section 21 - Ailerons. Here, the entire section is a problem. My paper plans are marked "Revision 0" and dated 24 July '14. The parts I have (kit #41581) do not match the drawings. There is no steel bracket, for instance. The PDF plans for section 21 are marked "Revision 1" but the date is, interestingly, 24 Jul '12 - so according to the dates, the revision levels are counting backwards! However, the parts I have in the kit do indeed match the PDF plans.

I concluded that the date on my print set drawings is wrong, and that around 2012 after changing the Aileron design for the RV-14, Van's decided to update the RV-10 kit with the same design (since the 10/14 Ailerons are identical) but in so doing made a mess of the documentation control.

Last edited:
Yep I talk to this in one of my videos. The drawing shows more holes than the text says.

Do them all.. =) I did.. (I did this last month)

As I start to build my -10

I'm going to be picking up where the original builder left off several years ago, with kits and printed plans of varying vintages. I intend to walk-through all of his already-completed steps to familiarize myself with the build and double check for errors (as well as documenting this part of my efforts to help pave the way for repairman's cert eligibility).

I can tell this is going to be very interesting, kinda like an A&P searching years of AD files to complete an annual. I take it that the PDF's available somewhere from the mothership are preferred to the printed plans that conveyed with the kit itself. But that there may be no way to ensure that even these have resolved all previous known discrepancies :mad:

One bite at a time; the first is always the hardest.

-Stormy

I just came across this error as well. My plans (both on paper and on the CD) are marked with the date "07/24/2014", "REVISION: 1", and call out only four rivets for each rib even though 8 holes are depicted on the plans and present in the spar/ribs here.

I made a post on my build log for reference.

I went thru this in June... from the "horse's mouth":

I guess it must be a mistake ? use the same number of rivets as there are holes in the spar web/rib flange.

Gus Funnell
Van's Aircraft, Inc.
14401 Keil Rd NE
Aurora, Oregon 97002

Four years later.. still an issue!

Adding W-1012-L and W-1012-R rivets to help the SEO for this thread. I almost didn't find it.

Back