Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2021, 07:18 PM

Default Newbie looking for RV12 info

Hi folks, first time poster here.

I've seen an RV12 on display at a local fly in before (EAA SW Ohio Regional Fly In) and the wife especially liked the looks of them. At the time I was more interested in 4 seaters though. Life and medical conditions change and now I'm probably in the LSA world and back looking at RV12's. Now I'd probably be buying a factory build one, definitely not building my own because I wouldn't trust flying in anything I built lol.

What can you folks tell me about real world payload, equipment, performance in the factory builds? With the fuel tank in the back is there even enough room for a bag for maybe a weekend trip? Do they perform well off grass?

While I've always loved the looks of the RV line I just am not mechanical enough to take on Experimentals, but this may be my way in. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:35 PM

Thumbs up

The 912iS provides very good performance at gross. That would be two adults, 50 lbs of luggage and 14 gallons of gas which will get you 2 hours of flying with a 5 gallon reserve. Yes there is plenty of room for luggage behind the gas tank.

I think the premium SLSA is the way to go with autopilot and two screens. The avionics are quite nice and the amount of data available with ADS-B in is impressive.

If you PM me with your email, I can send you a weight & balance spreadsheet that you can play with.
12iS SLSA #5
Salt Lake Int'l
Old 01-12-2021, 09:06 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd82 View Post
Hi folks, first time poster here.
Todd, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-12-2021, 10:39 PM

Default RV12 Performance

You can download the owners manual from Vans. Performance numbers are there. Mine is the classic, not fuel injected. Climb at gross weight is over 600FPM in mine. Over 1000 with just me aboard. 750 pounds empty weight - I can have 2 big guys, full baggage and fuel (20 gal) and still be under gross.
122 knots cruise with wheel pants. Prop is pitched for best cruise but the climb numbers are still just fine.

I have a single Skyview screen with autopilot, Full interior. Full paint.

Easy to get 2 standard size airline carry-on wheel bags in it in the baggage area with room for soft stuff left over.

Operated off a 1200 ft grass strip for 4 years, does fine.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:42 AM

Todd82
I had my RV-12 at SWORFI last year and there are a number of -12's in the area. I'd be happy to give rides. Mine is a classic build with the 912ULS and works great for weekend trips and occasionally more...In 2019 with my wife, our beagle and some luggage flew from Cincinnati to Delaware for Thanksgiving and still had an hour left in the tank...with a little help from the prevailing winds
Good luck,
MJ

Flying RV-12 (180+ hrs and Oshkosh 2019)
N418MJ
Warren County, OH (I68)
mwjohn63@gmail.com
http://www.mykitlog.com/mwjohn63
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJdXcjckN6M
Old 01-13-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtens View Post
The 912iS provides very good performance at gross. That would be two adults, 50 lbs of luggage and 14 gallons of gas which will get you 2 hours of flying with a 5 gallon reserve. Yes there is plenty of room for luggage behind the gas tank.

I think the premium SLSA is the way to go with autopilot and two screens. The avionics are quite nice and the amount of data available with ADS-B in is impressive.

If you PM me with your email, I can send you a weight & balance spreadsheet that you can play with.
QUESTION: Give the factors above, and yes everyone's mileage may vary, what is a ballpark flyaway price for a factory built SLSA RV-12iS? Somewhere north of $160K?
Old 01-13-2021, 12:07 PM

Factory fly-away SLSA RV-12iS currently range from $125,500 to ~$160,000 depending on avionics, paint and a few other factors.

You can always call me at Van's if you have questions - X305 from Van's switchboard or ask for Eric. EEEEEEEric if you want a laugh from the salesperson
Looks like an airplane!
Molalla, OR
Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM

The 12 is great but not a two people with baggage cross country machine. Flew LSA in mine for 5 years but pilgrimages to Oshkosh and SNF each year had to be solo with camping gear as my passenger to keep gross weight and W&B in check. Spares, tie down etc. would total close to 20# so only 30 was left for the luggage area. Great for solo cross country but not for dual.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjohn63 View Post
Todd82
I had my RV-12 at SWORFI last year and there are a number of -12's in the area. I'd be happy to give rides. Mine is a classic build with the 912ULS and works great for weekend trips and occasionally more...In 2019 with my wife, our beagle and some luggage flew from Cincinnati to Delaware for Thanksgiving and still had an hour left in the tank...with a little help from the prevailing winds
Good luck,
MJ

Flying RV-12 (180+ hrs and Oshkosh 2019)
N418MJ
Warren County, OH (I68)
mwjohn63@gmail.com
http://www.mykitlog.com/mwjohn63
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJdXcjckN6M
I see we are basically neighbors I'm a few miles south of I66/west of ILN. Yours was evidently the one we saw there that day, small world. Once the weather breaks I may take you up on the offer for a ride and a closer look, looks like the weekend goes sloppy again though.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Todd, welcome aboard the good ship VAF
Thanks. Happy to be here this is the most helpful aviation group I've ever been part of. As a newbie the response I got here and numerous PM's too are great.