What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low oil temps.

Infidel

Well Known Member
I have an 0320-D3G/160 in my -4 and since purchasing it this past November, the oil temps are always below 180*. In the colder months, I had the oil cooler covered 2/3's with aluminum duct tape and the temp would average 140-150*.

I recently installed the oil cooler shudder provided by Vans and with it closed on an +80*f day, the gauge is showing 170-180*f. Oh, my cooler is mounted on rear baffle, vertical, behind #4.

Curious if the Westach oil temp gauge was accurate, I pulled the "new" oil temp sending unit and placed it in a heating pan of water. I monitored the water temp with a handheld laser thermometer along with a digital thermometer from my grilling accessories while checking the corresponding readout on the Westach. From 100*-190*f, the gauge was right on the money.

So my question is; Is the low oil temps normal? Of anyone has some suggestions or input, I'm anxious to hear. Meanwhile, I'll be here chasing that elusive 180*f.

Low oil temp

Mine is the same as yours...... And has been for 1,000 hours and 24 years.
I chance oil often.

I read in G-IKON Steve Sampson's website that low temp arte typical in a -4. He regretted he did non install a smaller setrab oil cooler. And now me too.

I have an 0320-D3G/160 in my -4 and since purchasing it this past November, the oil temps are always below 180*. In the colder months, I had the oil cooler covered 2/3's with aluminum duct tape and the temp would average 140-150*.

I recently installed the oil cooler shudder provided by Vans and with it closed on an +80*f day, the gauge is showing 170-180*f. Oh, my cooler is mounted on rear baffle, vertical, behind #4.

Curious if the Westach oil temp gauge was accurate, I pulled the "new" oil temp sending unit and placed it in a heating pan of water. I monitored the water temp with a handheld laser thermometer along with a digital thermometer from my grilling accessories while checking the corresponding readout on the Westach. From 100*-190*f, the gauge was right on the money.

So my question is; Is the low oil temps normal? Of anyone has some suggestions or input, I'm anxious to hear. Meanwhile, I'll be here chasing that elusive 180*f.

I have same issue. Recently installed an air shut off butterfly valve on the aft side of cooler, it helps. You may not have room on the 4.

Yesterday OT with OAT 80F was 167 with valve open, with it closed the temp does increase so it works.

Its easier to deal with than constant OT over 200 or higher. :)

My IO-320 is similar

This last winter I used a larger block-off plate that covered 90% of the cooler area. I still never saw anything north of 165F .. Even as I got into spring weather. I know guys who block off the entire oil cooler for the winter, with no problems.

Its easier to deal with than constant OT over 200 or higher. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree and glad I'm not chasing the gremlin in the other direction. As mentioned earlier, I too do oil changes more frequently.

Mine are the same

I have about the same readings you do, and I'd rather be cooler than have to battle high temps. I did a bit of flying this past week where we were in the upper 90s, and I usually hang at about 195-200 degrees, with 205 in climb.

As mentioned, I closed with aluminium tape all the back portion and the visible/accessible front portion of the cooler. Now oil temperature is 160... (with OAT of 70/75. It may work that way.

Back