What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel upgrade to G3x Touch

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
So I finally decided to upgrade my non touch G3X Panel to a touch system. The current panel has served me well for 9 years and it's time for a new project. I am going to be installing 3 displays and using all of the existing current LRUs. In order to fit all three displays in the Aerosport 310 panel, I now have to use a Garmin G5 instead of the Dynon D6 backup display due to size constraints.

So in drawing up the new interconnect I have come across some decisions that need to be made with regard to the G5, which will replace the Dynon D6. The Dynon unit has always be stand-alone with it's own remote magnetometer. It does not use a GPS and is not connected in any way to any other part of the system.

So now the dilemma. Keep the G5 totally independent, or connect up to the G3X system. The advantage of connecting it on the CAN bus is the redundancy of an additional ADAHARS source from the G5, magnetometer data, etc. and navigation data provided to the G5. This disadvantage is of course the fact that it is connected to the other LRUs and is no longer an totally independent backup source.

I am just looking for opinions on how those before me have done this and what influenced the decision process.

So now the dilemma. Keep the G5 totally independent, or connect up to the G3X system. The advantage of connecting it on the CAN bus is the redundancy of an additional ADAHARS source from the G5, magnetometer data, etc. and navigation data provided to the G5. This disadvantage is of course the fact that it is connected to the other LRUs and is no longer an totally independent backup source.

I am just looking for opinions on how those before me have done this and what influenced the decision process.

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear you are upgrading to G3X Touch. You will love the faster, easier to use displays.

There is no question that you should connect the G5 to the CAN bus and enjoy the many backup benefits of having the G5 on the CAN bus including being the backup autopilot capable of flying instrument approaches without the big displays.

Attaching the G5 to the CAN bus does not jeopardize the independence and dissimilarity it provides as a backup ADAHRS.

Steve

Hi Bill,

I just put a G5 in my panel along with an IFR upgrade. My thinking was to integrate it with the G3X to gain the benefits you listed, but add a battery backup and dedicated GPS antenna, so it can function fully independently of the rest of the system if it goes down.

For the magnetometer, I was going to add a GMU-11 as a backup magnetometer for the G5, but Garmin says that I can't have multiple magnetometers on the bus; my main one in the GMU-22 connected to the GSU-25. However, the G5 GPS will provide ground track in lieu of a magnetic heading, so this seems sufficient as a backup (just remember your local magnetic deviation!)

One more advantage of integration is that software upgrades will get automatically done along with the G3X Touch upgrades.

Also, the G5 software is totally a separate new implementation, not partially ported from the G3X, at least that is what I've gotten from some discussions with Garmin developers.

Bill, definitely tie into the CAN bus. The G5 operates with a different software so if the G3X software somehow became corrupted it would not affect the G5. There are no negatives integrating it with the rest of the system.

From a flying perspective, I am still getting used to the quadrant in its new position. The actual installation was straight forward. The cables specified were all the correct length. The hardest part was getting the old cables out and new cables into the firewall pass throughs. It's just a tough spot to reach into! The center console was marked perfectly for the quad cutout. I did have to order an extension shaft for the Andaire fuel selector to accommodate the higher surface of the front of the console.

Back