What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery isolator for dual P mags purpose

togaflyer

Well Known Member
The plane was configured for a single battery. But you want to go to dual Electronic mags. I saw this on line. A dual battery isolator the allows both batteries to be charged by one alternator. Isolates the main start battery from the second. Has an emergency override ability in case the main/start battery dies. So you still have a backup battery for the P mags. Except for the emergency switch it is all wired at the battery. Seems like it would work well for our application with dual P Mags.

250 AMP Intelligent Dual Battery Isolator Universal 12V 24V VSR Voltage Sensitive Relay for Car, Truck, ATV, Emergency Battery Starter

Many opt for P-Mags (114 model) because they generate their own power above ~800 RPM. Sounds like a great option for other systems that require power to operate 100% of the time.

There are many different options for building your electrical system. Some may be more complicated than required and possibly as a result actually inducing the possibility of failure where previously there is none. If you aren't familiar with Bob Nuckolls book The AeroElectric Connection you should pick up a copy. He covers backup power busses and etc.

I have a dual PMAG system with dual alternators and both alternators can charge my single battery. I only have a single battery since I believe as others that the chance of a well maintained battery (frequently replaced) is low. However I have dual PMAGs and as RAYMO said they will continue to be self powered if above a minimum RPM of around 800 or so. My setup is very similar to Bob's Z-13/20 schematic. Take a look its pretty simple yet I believe still provides some backups.

Back