What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small error in RV12is KAI Canopy Section

bkc3921

Well Known Member
FYI..12is, Section 39, Canopy, Page U13, Dated 02/04/19, Revision 2, Attaching the canopy guides to the roll bar:

Step 1 in the KAI says to "Final drill to #19 the holes..." and then "tap to 8/32"..(to receive a #8 screw)....Van's confirms the #19 hole size is an error, and will be corrected when engineering gets to it.

A #19 hole is far too big for an 8/32 tap. If you drill them, you will have to tap for a #10 screw, slightly enlarge the holes in the guide block, and come up with 4 #10 screws on your own. Probably should have said "Final drill to #30 (or so)"

Don't ask me how I know this.

Sorry if this has already been addressed on this forum, but I could not find anywhere it is mentioned. Proceed as you see best.

KAI Canopy Error

FYI..12is, Section 39, Canopy, Page U13, Dated 02/04/19, Revision 2, Attaching the canopy guides to the roll bar:

Step 1 in the KAI says to "Final drill to #19 the holes..." and then "tap to 8/32"..(to receive a #8 screw)....Van's confirms the #19 hole size is an error, and will be corrected when engineering gets to it.

A #19 hole is far too big for an 8/32 tap. If you drill them, you will have to tap for a #10 screw, slightly enlarge the holes in the guide block, and come up with 4 #10 screws on your own. Probably should have said "Final drill to #30 (or so)"

Don't ask me how I know this.

Sorry if this has already been addressed on this forum, but I could not find anywhere it is mentioned. Proceed as you see best.

Thank you so much for your timely post, as I am on page U-11 of Section 39 and will shortly be on page 13, at which time I shall use a #30 drill bit instead of #19.

Brian, thanks for the tip. I made a copy of your post, took it to my airplane factory and final drilled with a #30 this weekend. All went well!

Van's Response

Has Van's posted any form of correction to the KAI? I've been on their email list for over two years and, unless I have forgotten (which is quite possible), I do not think I ever received any notice of changes. I've only learned of such things via this forum (AND THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT!).

Last edited:
Back