What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Electric Prop

redhawk

Well Known Member
Just trying to decide on the best prop for converting my fixed pitch RV8.
Looking for opinions on the MT Electric prop - seems like a good compromise between light weight and expense vs the blended Hartzell or the more expensive Whirlwind, and it has no RPM restrictions.

Pitch response is noticeably slower than hydraulic props. Many users have found on rapid throttle opening, rpms will overshoot substantially. Fine in cruise and you can takeoff in manual mode to avoid the overshoot problem but operation is not as seamless as with hydraulic prop setups. Aerobatics not as fun either with fast changes in airspeed.

Voltage for MT electric prop

I have an MT electric on my 8A with a subie. Prop will not adjust. I'm getting 3.8 volts to the prop and that doesnt sound correct. Calls to MT have been less that useful when trying to determine the correct voltage at the prop. Is there anyone flying an MT electric who could measure the voltage at the slip ring of the prop? Any help would be appreciated.

Caution

One thing to be aware of is that not all MT props are compatible with Lycoming 4-cyl engines.

(Note that the one comment so far is from a Subaru engine guy.)

Big bore 4-bangers provide large "pulses" to the prop during each revolution, and most of the MT electric props are not designed to handle the resultant torsional vibration.

Make sure any prop you buy is compatible with the engine you will bolt it to!!!

Back