What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 Flap Trailing edge riveting

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm working on RV-9 flaps and it's time to rivet the trailing edge.

The written assy manual I have, says to:
-Insert rivets, tape in place, flip the flap over, partially set the rivets, then flip back to top and final set with mushroom set.

- On the ailerons, I tried gluing the trailing edge together with pro-seal (scuffed the surfaces beforehand), cleco'd the trailing edge to a flat surface to cure, then did all the above. Didn't really work out all that great, the Pro-seal didn't stay stuck. Trailing edge was acceptable to specs in the end, but not as good as I had wanted.

I see something about tape that holds a trailing edge together to rivet.

What's the best current method being used to rivet the flap trailing edge?

K1Aeu8c.jpg
[/IMG]

Andy C.

Proseal

Andy,
I did my trailing edges of the ailerons and flaps just like the rudder using proseal. It came out really good. I am not sure why your proseal didnt stick, unless the primer was underneath and was not adhering. I wasnt clear with the instructions whether or not to proseal the trailing edge, but i couldnt see how to keep the edge straight without the proseal, so that is what I did. Good luck.

I just followed the manual directions exactly and was very happy with how they turned out. No pro seal or tape necessary. The pro seal did work well for the rudder and elevators i believe, after letting it cure for several days.

Chris

Last edited:
I had better luck if I waited three days on the Proseal the dry. On one I tried the next day it it was less than solid.
I think the newer RV-14 plans show using tape.

If you take your time and go slow, you can use a little "craftsmanship" and massage the trailing edge to be as straight as you please if you pay attention to how it moves with every touch.

Apply force, observe, apply force, observe. "Use the Force"

Back