What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagle's Nest Projects - Declan Steinke 1st Solo (Central HS WI)

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
If it's a VFR day in Wisconsin, chances are you'll find one or more of the Eagle's Nest Projects build-students at Westosha Central High School in their student-built RV-12 receiving flight instruction under the watchful eye of certified flight instructor, John Putra. Mr. Putra volunteers is time and together with a dedicated team of mentors and community support, Central High School is quickly building their very own Air Force of high school private pilots; some receiving their ticket before they even have a drivers license!

Eagle's Nest builder Declan Steinke is the latest addition to Central's growing number of teen pilots, having successfully completed his first solo flight today, Tuesday 11/15/16. Please welcome Declan to the VAF community of RV enthusiasts, builders, and pilots.

EN-04%20Declan%20Steinke%20SOLO_zps5hgjoy2o.jpg

Aside: When Declan was asked if he had his Eagle's Nest T-shirt, he said he remembered it half way to the airport and didn't have time to go back. Quote from Jim Senft; "Oh well, what are you going to do?".

Last edited:
Declan is also the youngest independent Rotax Maintenance Technician (iRMT)
3329oye.jpg

Not bad for only being a Junior in High School. The whole Eagle’s Nest program is making a difference in many students’ lives.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Congrats to Declan and all Involved! What a great program. I too would have loved to do this in high school, instead I was stuck working on my rusty old pickup truck in the parking lot. I was lucky to be involved with air cadets, and like some of these folks, had my pilots license before I had my drivers license! Dad had to drive me to the airport a few times...

Great work everyone, keep it up!

Alex

Back