What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Project Finished

acam37

Well Known Member
Our project has finally made it to the finish line. She is signed off and ready to fly. But no plane is ever really "finished" is it? Our paint scheme is a warbird that is shedding it's skin to reveal it's inner racer. I think it turned out great.
IMG_5783_zpsdeipd65a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5782_zpsqrshuilk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5781_zpslicdthkp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5780_zps10vi7tzf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5768_zpsacloifbr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow love it! Amazing transformation you have done on this 4. Congratulations.

Was graphics done with vinyl?

All paint except for the small lettering and the N-number. It took us 3 solid weeks to get it painted. We did the taping and masking and a friend shot the color in his paint booth.

Outstanding

Arlie:

That is an exceptional looking 4. Congratulations, and enjoy. Can't wait for the first flight report.

By the way, what is the empty weight after paint?

Regards,

Fernando

Man, you guys went full on with this -4 and from what you've shared with us, outstanding! I'll make a wild guess....976 pounds?

Once again, outstanding!!

It really turned out fantastic! Love the paint scheme! The fastback makes it look at least 10 knots faster just sitting on the ramp. Good luck on the first flight, I'm sure you'll be wearing that classic RV grin for days.

The big question

Who gets first flight rights you or your partner? Fantastic job guys you have done a great rebuild/restore. You have proven to me that my restoration project will be done eventually too!

First Flight

Justin, funny you may ask. My build partner who also happens to be named Justin, did the honors and made the first "post build" flight today. As you can see, you can add yet another RV Grin to the list. The flight went great with just a few minor glitches to iron out. As for the plane, he said it flew like it was on rails. No major trim adjustments were needed.
D3526D34-AD6B-4B00-8856-3684E0B9A578_zpsjr1kzvu9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just took the wayback machine for a little trip into the VAF forgotten files.

Found these......

Kinda makes the finished product a little bit more impressive, IMHO.

cb2ee3cd-6a7f-43a8-a241-d19136d68d94_zpsd3761d4d.jpg

e40a13bd-07fc-4249-8616-30d74fce6d95_zps09958ea5.jpg

5789876C-C059-45B1-B8CF-F0972309B0E9_zpsmfnytq3v.jpg

Wow...

Absolutely exceptional..

I'm curious...did the inspector have any qualms about the "N" number placement?

Best,

Looks great.

It is ironic to see the plane on here today. I heard you guys yesterday on the radio during your test flight while I was North bound from the Huntsville area back to Gainesville. Your N number caught my attention, as mine is 246TT. It looks great.

Outstanding result! You and Justin can be rightly proud of this result! Thanks for sharing your journey back to flight, it certainly did not seem to be an easy one.

That was not just a grin, Justin was beaming! Let's see yours too.

Beautiful -4

Congratulations! The paint is impressive!.. I thought this level of detail was only available with vinyl wraps.

Is this a short gear fastback -4?!

Stan

Way to stick with it. What a fantastic turn around and fabulous end result. You should be more than proud. Your airplane stands out in so many ways, the final result is just one more, and a very good one.

We repaired or replaced almost everything on this plane. Everything except the Mags. And guess what? They got pulled yesterday and new ones on order. After the test flight the engine started running terrible during the taxi back to the hangar. We pulled the cowl and checked that everything was tight. It acted like you pulled a couple of plug wires. The right mag check was worse than the left so I pulled it off and opened it up. The rotor was burnt on the tip and looked like it was arcing inside the cap. I hope that this was the problem? Funny thing is that it ran perfect in the air.

I assume that is a Todd's rocket canopy? How much modification do you have to do to the frame to get that to work? My canoe doesn't have a top on it so this would be the time to go FB if I'm going to do it. It sure looks great.

Scott, if you decide to use a Todds canopy and go fastback, it's a very easy mod. In my experience though, all you need from Harmon is the front angled former and the skin. The other ones don't fit well and you wind up butchering them to make them fit. It's best to make your own. If you have access to large sheet aluminum then all you need is the one former. As for the canopy frame, it will need to be completely fabricated. I followed Axels thread on building the frame.

Back