What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fixed pitch to constant speed

tc4l19

I'm New Here
Looking at purchasing a 6-a. was a quick build kit. engine o-360 is set up for constant speed but builder put fixed pitch on it. if I want to convert back, would any cowl modifications be needed or would spinner backing plate be in same location? builder says was a 98-99 purchase with the newer cowl. think he said S type cowl. probably been answered before. Know I would need gov. and cable, but would hate to have to mess up a finished cowl.

Looking at purchasing a 6-a. was a quick build kit. engine o-360 is set up for constant speed but builder put fixed pitch on it. if I want to convert back, would any cowl modifications be needed or would spinner backing plate be in same location? builder says was a 98-99 purchase with the newer cowl. think he said S type cowl. probably been answered before. Know I would need gov. and cable, but would hate to have to mess up a finished cowl.

I know of one conversion that was flying with a Fixed Pitch and converted to Constant Speed that needed a washer placed between the engine mount and firewall at each through bolt so that the cowl and spinner had enough clearance. One cannot tell that it was not made with the CS.

In other words the answer to your question is maybe.

Back