What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backup Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges?

alexe

Well Known Member
After an in flight freeze up and reboot of my Skyview Touch yesterday, I am seriously considering backing up the oil temperature and pressure gauges with something like the MGL Avionics TP-2. It is a combined oil temp/pressure gauge that can be mounted in a 3 1/8" panel hole.

I already have a Garmin 696 in the panel for a nav backup in case the Skyview goes belly up on a cross country trip. I am not too concerned with flying the airplane by the seat of the pants, and the Garmin 696 does provide some GPS based flight instruments. What does concern me is the complete loss of engine instrumentation, mainly oil pressure and oil temperature indications.

So here is my question.....has anyone tried backing up the Skyview with external gauges without installing additional pressure and temperature transducers? In other words, tie them in parallel with the Skyview inputs.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Alex

After an in flight freeze up and reboot of my Skyview Touch yesterday, I am seriously considering backing up the oil temperature and pressure gauges with something like the MGL Avionics TP-2. It is a combined oil temp/pressure gauge that can be mounted in a 3 1/8" panel hole.

I already have a Garmin 696 in the panel for a nav backup in case the Skyview goes belly up on a cross country trip. I am not too concerned with flying the airplane by the seat of the pants, and the Garmin 696 does provide some GPS based flight instruments. What does concern me is the complete loss of engine instrumentation, mainly oil pressure and oil temperature indications.

So here is my question.....has anyone tried backing up the Skyview with external gauges without installing additional pressure and temperature transducers? In other words, tie them in parallel with the Skyview inputs.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Alex

A back-up rpm gauge would be great too....as that correlates to airspeed.

Did similar

Alex, I did something similar with MGL's E3 EMS gage. It allows for an oil temp, oil or fuel pressure and 4 CHT or EHT inputs. The problem I found is the oil temp probe. I don't think you can connect two instruments to one probe and I don't know an easy way to install a second oil temp probe. It's easy to install secondary CHT probes under your spark plugs though, and that gives you a pretty good substitute for oil temp in a pinch. If I lose my Trutrak engine management data on a xcountry I plan to land, connect my oil temp and fuel pressure sensors to the MGL device and fly home. (I have an idiot light as backup for low oil pressure.) John

Last edited:
I had the same issue, lost my EFIS and therefore all my engine monitoring. I was grounded far from home. Had my IPad mini with Foreflight and my steam gauges for airspeed and altitude but not feeling it without at least an oil pressure and oil temployees gauge.

Really hoping GRT adds engine monitoring to the Mini X. That would be an awesome fully redundant option if it happens again. So far it hasnt.

A couple of gauges would certainly work. Simple too.

Thanks to all that responded. I called MGL this morning and asked about sharing the existing oil pressure and temp sensors. As suspected, the answer was no. Duplicate pressure and temperature sensors would be required.

I think I will give up on the backup oil temperature gauge since there is no practical way that I can see to add a second sender. I think I will remote mount (move) the oil pressure sender to the firewall and add a manifold to accomodate a mechanical 2 1/2" panel mounted oil pressure gauge from the same line.

While I'm at it, I might add a backup 2 1/2" airspeed and altimiter in the panel. Between my existing Garmin 696 and the three new steam gauges, I should have more than ample instrumentation to keep going should the Skyview roll over on a crosss country trip.

Alex

Back ups

I have a 10 inch Dynon Skyview planned.

I have a Vans oil temp and oil pressure gauge 2.5 inch on the left side of panel.

I am night rated now and understand the incredible use of the turn coordinator and so will find one of those in front of me next to an airspeed gauge, all seperate from the Dynon.

Vans supplied a seperate manifold with three opportunities for senders.

I am placing the 10 inch Dynon in the center of the panel and there will only be one as my back up EFIS will come from my AV8OR hand held.

For what it's worth, I have an MGL TP-2 as my primary gauges (no skyview or others) and like it. It is running on its own sensors.

T

Alex, not sure which john you mean, but Vans manifold for sensors works well and allows for two OP sensors. John

Back