What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheated Death Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

omrsramsay

Here I am on the ground in Mulino after my canopy blew off in flight. I have a video. It took 1/2 second for the canopy to pop open and separate from the airframe. It hit me on the forehead and cheek as it left, which is why my shirt is all bloody. The video shows the latch in the locked position. I was going about 140kts, maybe faster. My skydiving experience probably saved me, skydivers have a higher threshold for excitement. I just kept flying. I could see OK once I got the airspeed below about 90. I lost my glasses, and my right eye wasn't working up to full capacity, but I still landed better than my previous landing of the day at Estacada. My pattern and approach weren't so good, however. Most of the dents are from the headset. Other scratches are from the shattered canopy. The frame and most of the plexiglass flew away over the left stabilizer. I hope I find it, it had another video camera attached to it.

http://tinyurl.com/mulino-RV3

https://youtu.be/-ctEPGzuXtg

I added the video. I want to point out how useful video is for analysis of flying and events like this, which is why I always have at least 2 or 3 video cameras going, at least for takeoff, landing and any unusual maneuvering. You can see that the latch is in the locked position as the canopy flies away. You can also see where the canopy departed, which gives me a better chance of finding it.

Last edited:
Congrats on keeping your cool and flying the airplane.

...you have video of the canopy departing in flight?

Wow.. this sounds terrible! Good job! Glad you're still with us.

No video link and that might be for the best..heh that video might scare me..

Rule One

Glad you remembered rule one----------fly the plane.

Good that you got it on the ground safe-----------very good.

Interesting video-------lots of small pieces of plastic before the main canopy went away------bird strike maybe??

Hi John

Well done on dealing with that one!

Just completing an RV-3 so interested in what might have lead to it?

In the video, do you know what the black objects were going down the RHS, prior the plexi there, before the canopy passed down LHS??

Thanks for any info
Andy

Hi John

Well done on dealing with that one!

Just completing an RV-3 so interested in what might have lead to it?

In the video, do you know what the black objects were going down the RHS, prior the plexi there, before the canopy passed down LHS??

Thanks for any info
Andy

Wow, great job keepin cool! Paused at 0:03 it appears to be the earphone earpieces departing the headset but there may be some other debris, I'm guessing it was loose items in the cockpit. I did see pieces of plexiglass too though. Any adverse handling without a canopy? Did you have any kind of strap or brace on the canopy for when it's parked to keep the canopy open?

Hmm, looks familiar

Hey, I remember that airplane! I had it in my shop a few years ago for an auto pilot install! Very fast airplane. Glad you're ok. Good job flying!
Lucky it didn't hit the tail!

Last edited:
Yikes, headset testimonial

If that headset still works you can probably sell the video to the manufacturer as a testimonial. Good job flying the plane.

WOW!

Superb piloting! Excellent focus. Hope you are ok. Thanks for the video, and good luck in finding the parts and root cause.

The handle on the canopy is in the aft position and by the placement of the locking pins attached to the handle it appears to still be in the "locked" position as the OP stated. So if the canopy was locked when it came off, maybe the pop-rivets on the hinge side broke off. Plus that would explain why it went to the left side of the vertical stab.

Last edited:
Glad you were able to get down on the ground safely. I hope you find the canopy (let me know if you want some help, I am over at Twin Oaks and glad to go out and help look), and in turn that you get to retrieve the video from the camera that looks like it was attached to the canopy. Looks like that camera could provide some good info assuming it was running.

EDIT: Watched the video again frame by frame. The canopy looks like it was intact as it crossed over to pilot's right, then broken as it crossed back and aft, so can't see how it's likely a bird strike - as CATPart points out, too.

In the video, the canopy glass appears to be broken from the center several inches up from the canopy frame and intact along the front sides, gone on top and at the back. And the glass departed the aircraft in fragments before the canopy frame appeared, so.... Bird strike maybe? Certainly plenty of geese and raptors and whatnot out-and-about around here right now. I've had a couple relatively close calls with birds the past several weeks in my spam can. In two cases they were raptors in talons-barred, wings-spread, don't-go-near-my-nest mode.

Last edited:
Great Job!

Great job FLYING THE AIRPLANE!

From the ultra-clear video, it seems like it will be rather simple to pinpoint the field where the canopy ended up landing. Looks like some unique topography which will help you locate the area again from the air. Then maybe make a note of the coordinates in a GPS and go find the farmer that owns the place!?

Glad you are OK!

I say no bird strike and not a hinge failure. This has to be a lock failure. You can clearly see the canopy opens from left to right (from the pilots perspective), indicating the hinge is intact. As it opens, you can see the silhouette of the canopy on the turtle deck and it looks perfect, no cracks (for the portion that can be seen). After it fully opens I assume violent deflection and forces cracked the plastic and you see pieces depart. Then the entire canopy passes from the right side to the left as it departs the aircraft. Possibly, a bird hit the canopy and pushed it back enough to dislodge the locking pin, but where is this bird in the video? Whatever happened, seriously lucky guy.

John,
Glad you are hear to show us and talk about it.
I'm currently looking for a helmet for that very reason (with face shield).
Daddyman

John,

Now, in your reflection you have probably thought about it, but the camera would have an absolute time for each frame. That time could be correlated with a gps track and time record, if you are so equipped. This should narrow down the location of your canopy.

Again, some luck involved, but your steady nerves and focus was exemplary.

1. Maintain aircraft control.
2. Analyze the situation and take the proper action.
3. Land as soon as conditions permit.

WELL DONE, SIR!! I'll buy you the first one (as soon as conditions permit).:cool:

similar incident in an RV-4

Back in the late 90's I had a similar incident in an RV-4. Mine was do to bumping the canopy latch handle with my forearm in the process of driving the stick into my right leg for maximum control deflection while "shaking the bugs off". I remember thinking "I better make sure the latch is still secure". In less than a blink of an eye and almost 90 deg into the roll the canopy left the plane. At nearly 200mph w/o the benefit of a windscreen your eyes cannot focus due to the wind deforming your eyeballs. I remember waggling the rudder thinking "thank god the tail is still around" then I crouched down to get out of the wind and used the AI to level the wings and arrest the decent.

It did not hit my head. It did not significantly hit the tail either but must have been close. The lanyard that holds the canopy whipped across the right horizontal and left some scratches across the leading edge. My david clarks were flailing in the wind similar to this as well.

The registration was secured to the canopy so the dearly departed was returned to us from a farmer via the local PD the next morning. The lanyard bent the canopy frame in before it broke from the fuselage. Not sure if the plexi broke at that point or on impact.

The plane flies exceptionally well w/o the canopy btw. The worst part would definitely be the small raindrops hitting your face at speed which feels like thumb tacks. I flew 8-10 miles back to Troutdale (TTD) at about 90mph afraid to slow up any more not knowing if the extra drag would cause issues. I carried a lot more speed on final and thus my landing was not quite as good as John's in this video. First and only time I've been cleared to land with the light gun! This was my first "open cockpit" experience as well :)

Great job John on your safe return btw!! It's a wonderful feeling to be back on the ground after this I can surely attest to that.

Last edited:
in-flight recording

The Garmin VIRB has geo-referenced videos: http://virb.garmin.com/en-US. If both cameras were VIRBs, you'd be able to use the remaining one to pinpoint where the canopy came loose. I think there's also a feature that helps you find a lost camera using a smart phone (although I'm not sure Garmin thought about canopies coming off in flight for that feature!!)

Well done landing after that IFE!

Sequence of Events

John's excellent video made it possible to stop the motion and take these snapshots of it.

John did a wonderful job flying the plane and I'm very glad that he and the plane are down safely.

The canopy is hinged on the right side, left side in the photo. I'll note right or left as it applies to the aircraft, not the photos. I included the time hack at the bottom.

In this photo, the canopy has just lifted up. The right-hand canopy frame's shadow is visible.

2cy1kxz.png

In this next photo, the canopy shadow covers the fuselage and appears intact.

t9fims.png

The next photo shows the shadow of the left-hand canopy frame. At this point, the canopy is open.

4j2tz8.png

Here, something has departed the aircraft. This is the first indication that things are leaving. It might be a ball cap but that's not clear. The shadow of it is on the right stabilizer.

4tljif.png

The object is in the air now, and a shadow of what might be the headset is visible on the fuselage.

24xnh4i.png

It looks a lot like a cap in this next image. There's a shadow of something on the side of the fuselage, too.

nlu49x.png

Now the headset is starting to flail around.

15u6b5.png

The next photo shows the shadow of the cracked canopy and the first shards of canopy plastic.

vh3zad.png

There are more shards of canopy and the shadow on the left stabilizer shows that the canopy frame
has separated from the aircraft.

2rgyvzm.png

There are still canopy pieces on the right side of the aircraft and the canopy frame is visible. We can see that the latch is extended out of the frame - hard to see but it's there. You can see the latch handle. Remember that the canopy and frame has been violently buffeted and that the latch might not be in the same position as it was when the canopy first opened.

vy9vyf.png

Dave
RV-3B, still on the slow-build wings

Happy your safe John!
Incredible still shots!
Maybe you can recognize some landmarks from the video/still shots and
check out Google Earth to pinpoint your canopy.
Lorne

Holy ****, good job on that landing.

After all the work I've put into my RV-3B canopy and frame and skirt... this is my worst nightmare right now!! :eek: I really hope you figure out what caused its departure and can report it to the rest of us.

Thanks for the comments and good wishes. I'm posting about this event to learn from you, and to provide information that others might find useful.

This is the field where I looked for my canopy:

This is the field from Google Earth:

This was the actual location of the canopy. While I was searching, I kept re-watching the video and comparing it to the Google Earth image.

Camera was still attached.

Here's what I saw when I turned on the camera:

I said to myself: "Good thing I always use two cameras!"

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...6143351869317865602&oid=117453291411123099507

Last edited:
good job getting it down

I am reminded again the goal is not to cheat dead but rather not to let him play.

Wow, sure glad you were able to get back on the ground in one piece. Congratulations on your successful handling of the emergency, and thanks for sharing the experience.

Based on your statement that you lost your glasses, it's my understanding you were able to see well enough while looking into the wind at 90 mph, or whatever speed you slowed down to, with the just the naked eye to get it on the ground. Interesting bit of information, as I've often assumed a canopy loss or jettison will likely result in the loss of glasses, and have wondered if it will even be possible to see. Any other comments on this?... e.g., were your eyes taking the full blast of air at 90 mph as you looked forward, or were they partially shielded by turbulence over the nose?... were you looking out the sides mostly instead of forward?... having trouble with getting hit with bugs in the eyes?... Just a few questions I've wondered about in the event it ever happens to me. Makes me think having a spare pair of safety glasses secured in the cockpit might be a worthwhile safety precaution.

Fortunately, my distance vision is good without corrective lenses, but I'd imagine a near-sighted person would have a severe problem on their hands if they had a canopy loss for any reason (latch, bird strike, jettison, etc.) and subsequent loss of glasses.

Last edited:
Again, NTSB notification. The clock is ticking.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...;view=text;node=49:7.1.4.1.12;idno=49;cc=ecfr

830.1 Applicability.
This part contains rules pertaining to:

(a) Initial notification and later reporting of aircraft incidents and accidents and certain other occurrences in the operation of aircraft, wherever they occur, when they involve civil aircraft of the United States; when they involve certain public aircraft, as specified in this part, wherever they occur; and when they involve foreign civil aircraft where the events occur in the United States, its territories, or its possessions.

(b) Preservation of aircraft wreckage, mail, cargo, and records involving all civil and certain public aircraft accidents, as specified in this part, in the United States and its territories or possessions.

[60 FR 40112, Aug. 7, 1995]

Aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage. For purposes of this part, the definition of “aircraft accident” includes “unmanned aircraft accident,” as defined herein.

Substantial damage means damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered “substantial damage” for the purpose of this part.

Last edited:
Helmet and Visor

Wow, sure glad you were able to get back on the ground in one piece. Congratulations on your successful handling of the emergency, and thanks for sharing the experience.

Based on your statement that you lost your glasses, it's my understanding you were able to see well enough while looking into the wind at 90 mph, or whatever speed you slowed down to, with the just the naked eye to get it on the ground. Interesting bit of information, as I've often assumed a canopy loss or jettison will likely result in the loss of glasses, and have wondered if it will even be possible to see. Any other comments on this?... e.g., were your eyes taking the full blast of air at 90 mph as you looked forward, or were they partially shielded by turbulence over the nose?... were you looking out the sides mostly instead of forward?... having trouble with getting hit with bugs in the eyes?... Just a few questions I've wondered about in the event it ever happens to me. Makes me think having a spare pair of safety glasses secured in the cockpit might be a worthwhile safety precaution.

Fortunately, my distance vision is good without corrective lenses, but I'd imagine a near-sighted person would have a severe problem on their hands if they had a canopy loss for any reason (latch, bird strike, jettison, etc.) and subsequent loss of glasses.

Enough to make me dust off the old helmet and visor. Time for an ANR headset install. My ride has a sloper windscreen, but it is goose season.

Again, NTSB notification. The clock is ticking.

There is nothing in your quoted text of the regulations that indicate any "clock ticking". If he needs to gather more information before he even decides to report it... I think that is reasonable. If he decides to report it, or maybe already has, I don't think it's anyone's business here. But if your intent was to sqwash anymore information on what happened and how.... you are probably succeeding. :confused:

Substantial Damage

There is nothing in your quoted text of the regulations that indicate any "clock ticking". If he needs to gather more information before he even decides to report it... I think that is reasonable. If he decides to report it, or maybe already has, I don't think it's anyone's business here. But if your intent was to sqwash anymore information on what happened and how.... you are probably succeeding. :confused:

Nore does this appear to be a case of substantial damage...

You guys (GA pilot community as a whole) need to become familiar with NTSB 830. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. Depending on the type of incident/accident, you have a set time frame within which the NTSB SHALL be notified. You don't get to "decide" as you say. I'm trying to keep the OP out of trouble... the FAA and NTSB have both formally announced they are using youtube and other social media as a means of investigation and enforcement now, and most GA pilots (as you demonstrate) don't understand they are responsible for reporting within the time specified.

In this particular instance... "Immediate" is pretty clearly defined in the title.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...78f9f3001&mc=true&node=se49.7.830_15&rgn=div8

Nore does this appear to be a case of substantial damage...

Read it again.

Substantial damage means damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component.

Whether he reports it or not, is none of OUR business anyway!!

There is so much wrong with this statement I don't even know where to start. Since I don't feel like typing a complete editorial I'll ask two questions.

1.) Would you stop a fellow pilot from unknowingly (or knowingly) violating a rule before he did it?
2.) Do you feel the actions/inactions of your fellow pilots can adversely effect your future ability to enjoy aviation?

Last edited:
In this particular instance... "Immediate" is pretty clearly defined in the title.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...78f9f3001&mc=true&node=se49.7.830_15&rgn=div8

IMHO this incident does not meet the test for immediate notification under 830.5. However even if it did, an immediate notification is NOT mandatory! It must be requested by an authorized representative of the Board!

?830.15 Reports and statements to be filed.

(a) Reports. The operator of a civil, public (as specified in ?830.5), or foreign aircraft shall file a report on Board Form 6120. 1⁄2 (OMB No. 3147-0001)2 within 10 days after an accident, or after 7 days if an overdue aircraft is still missing. A report on an incident for which immediate notification is required by ?830.5(a) shall be filed only as requested by an authorized representative of the Board.

One must always read the entire subpart to ensure complete understanding! Even a GA guy knows that, right?

Last edited:
IMHO this incident does not meet the test for immediate notification under 830.5. However even if it did, an immediate notification is NOT mandatory! It must be requested by an authorized representative of the Board!

?830.15 Reports and statements to be filed.

(a) Reports. The operator of a civil, public (as specified in ?830.5), or foreign aircraft shall file a report on Board Form 6120. 1⁄2 (OMB No. 3147-0001)2 within 10 days after an accident, or after 7 days if an overdue aircraft is still missing. A report on an incident for which immediate notification is required by ?830.5(a) shall be filed only as requested by an authorized representative of the Board.

One must always read the entire subpart to ensure complete understanding! Even a GA guy knows that, right?

REPORT filed on REQUEST, does not absolve you of NOTIFICATION.

Sig,
I personally would not find your reminder of the law... to be too obnoxious. Just me. Others, however bristle when a forum member appoints themselves the defacto sheriff in town. We all have a ton of regs that apply to our hobby and or professional flying. Most, I would venture, are pretty aware of what they should do, to stay out of trouble. You are correct that punitive official types are not restricted from reading our posts. It would be a shame if the original intent, to share and learn.... becomes inhibited due to fear of a violation. The poster of the deadstick Bonanza landing in Alaska was contacted after the FAA listened carefully to the audio portion of his movies, and heard no evidence of a run up before takeoff.
To the original poster, most of us cringed first... and then remained impressed at how you handled the situation in flight. Thanks for posting !

Sig,
I personally would not find your reminder of the law... to be too obnoxious. Just me. Others, however bristle when a forum member appoints themselves the defacto sheriff in town. We all have a ton of regs that apply to our hobby and or professional flying. Most, I would venture, are pretty aware of what they should do, to stay out of trouble. You are correct that punitive official types are not restricted from reading our posts. It would be a shame if the original intent, to share and learn.... becomes inhibited due to fear of a violation. The poster of the deadstick Bonanza landing in Alaska was contacted after the FAA listened carefully to the audio portion of his movies, and heard no evidence of a run up before takeoff.
To the original poster, most of us cringed first... and then remained impressed at how you handled the situation in flight. Thanks for posting !

Agree. While I've yet to seen anyone appoint themselves "sheriff" some people need to be coddled, and there's no room in aviation for feelings, egos, or legal "interpretaions." My intent, and I don't see anything in my post that would allude otherwise, is while everyone wants to talk about the incident (great job by the way :eek:) to remind the OP the incident wasn't over just because he got it on the ground, and while we all jump mentally to what the FARs say about a given circumstance, in this case there is another whole set of rules that now apply. NTSB 830 (amongst others) is an obscure set of rules that GA and hobbyist pilots don't get enough exposure to, it's not until you start flying professionally that the FAA really starts to turn the screws down in training about it and other rules, for whatever reason. I don't know why, the FAA writes the practical and knowledge standards. Either way, they still apply. My intent was simply to inform or remind the OP (and others) he has a legal obligation that he may not have known about. If that rubs someone the wrong way (for some reason), I really don't care, especially if the collective is a little bit more informed in the future and/or learning has occurred. You're right, the powers that be do pursue these boards, and an NTSB official with a burr up their rear could see this or any thread and decide to make an example. However collectively amongst this board, there probably isn't much that can't be covered, solved or learned amongst all the experience here be it building, flying, legal speak, etc. This board could be the sole source for a lot of the experience and knowledge that keeps some readers and lurkers safe and legal. But if the free exchange of information and experience can't be had without hurt feelings, or the "none of your business" attitudes, then we are all worse off and it's counter productive to any culture of safety and learning.

By the way, the above is why I personally know quite a few really smart and experienced guys that have either quit posting here, or quit this forum all together.

Last edited:
REPORT filed on REQUEST, does not absolve you of NOTIFICATION.

Here is Title 49, CFR 830.5(a) (subsection (b) is not germane as it is for an overdue aircraft). Which section do you feel is controlling in this case? As I said, I do not agree that 830.5 is applicable, but my eyes are open!

§830.5 Immediate notification.
The operator of any civil aircraft, or any public aircraft not operated by the Armed Forces or an intelligence agency of the United States, or any foreign aircraft shall immediately, and by the most expeditious means available, notify the nearest National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) office1 when:

(a) An aircraft accident or any of the following listed serious incidents occur:

(1) Flight control system malfunction or failure;

(2) Inability of any required flight crewmember to perform normal flight duties as a result of injury or illness;

(3) Failure of any internal turbine engine component that results in the escape of debris other than out the exhaust path;

(4) In-flight fire;

(5) Aircraft collision in flight;

(6) Damage to property, other than the aircraft, estimated to exceed $25,000 for repair (including materials and labor) or fair market value in the event of total loss, whichever is less.

(7) For large multiengine aircraft (more than 12,500 pounds maximum certificated takeoff weight):

(i) In-flight failure of electrical systems which requires the sustained use of an emergency bus powered by a back-up source such as a battery, auxiliary power unit, or air-driven generator to retain flight control or essential instruments;

(ii) In-flight failure of hydraulic systems that results in sustained reliance on the sole remaining hydraulic or mechanical system for movement of flight control surfaces;

(iii) Sustained loss of the power or thrust produced by two or more engines; and

(iv) An evacuation of an aircraft in which an emergency egress system is utilized.

(8) Release of all or a portion of a propeller blade from an aircraft, excluding release caused solely by ground contact;

(9) A complete loss of information, excluding flickering, from more than 50 percent of an aircraft's cockpit displays known as:

(i) Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) displays;

(ii) Engine Indication and Crew Alerting System (EICAS) displays;

(iii) Electronic Centralized Aircraft Monitor (ECAM) displays; or

(iv) Other displays of this type, which generally include a primary flight display (PFD), primary navigation display (PND), and other integrated displays;

(10) Airborne Collision and Avoidance System (ACAS) resolution advisories issued either:

(i) When an aircraft is being operated on an instrument flight rules flight plan and compliance with the advisory is necessary to avert a substantial risk of collision between two or more aircraft; or

(ii) To an aircraft operating in class A airspace.

(11) Damage to helicopter tail or main rotor blades, including ground damage, that requires major repair or replacement of the blade(s);

(12) Any event in which an operator, when operating an airplane as an air carrier at a public-use airport on land:

(i) Lands or departs on a taxiway, incorrect runway, or other area not designed as a runway; or

(ii) Experiences a runway incursion that requires the operator or the crew of another aircraft or vehicle to take immediate corrective action to avoid a collision.

Losing a canopy is an attention getter for sure, but it does not meet the definition of a "serious incident" as stated in 830.5.
There is a guy in the Northwest who has modified his RV-6(?) to be able to remove the canopy for summer flying, and no one seems to think that this is an issue.

In My Opinion

Also to the OP - what you choose to do or not do regarding the FAA or NTSB is entirely your own business, not ours. We shouldn't assume that you did or didn't report it simply because you didn't say.

As an interested reader, since I'm building an RV-3B, I'm very glad that you posted as complete a description as you did and even more glad that you did such a good job flying. Why and how the canopy came off is reasonably our business and worth talking about.

I'd even go so far as to say that it's worth having a discussion on the relative seriousness of the event, for the benefit of people having a similar thing happen to them in the future. I think such a discussion ought to be in its own thread, though.

Personally, I'd think it not to be "substantial damage," but that's what I think; others might differ. I feel that this is not substantial damage because a) the plane remained under control, even without protective glasses or goggles, b) the plane appears to be intact except for dents and c) unaffected were the "structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft."

Again, this is my opinion.

Dave

Also to the OP - what you choose to do or not do regarding the FAA or NTSB is entirely your own business, not ours. We shouldn't assume that you did or didn't report it simply because you didn't say.

Thank you David... and that's all I meant. Nothing more, nothing less. All the rest is dribble. And yes, I'd like to know the how and why on this incident too. Nuff said.

This is interesting about glass screens, some of the things NTSB wants to know about:

(9) A complete loss of information, excluding flickering, from more than 50 percent of an aircraft's cockpit displays known as:

(i) Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) displays;

Dave

I also don't consider this incident to have caused what the NTSB or FAA would classify as substantial damage. By their standard, you can belly land a retractable gear airplane which cause damage that requires a new prop, replacement of belly skins and antennas, etc. and they do not consider it substantial damage.

As to whether it is none of anyone's business whether a homebuilder follows the rules or not..... I partially agree, but also believe that anything any of us do that is outside of the rules, can have an influence on all of us. In many facets, we are still considered the renegades of aviation and the last thing we need is for any of us to be providing more ammo for that (take the gyro landing on the D.C. mall as an example). So, I personally believe it is our responsibility as a community to educate, and use peer pressure when needed..... no one has the right to blatantly dis obey aviation regs in a way that could influence my privilege to freely fly what I want , when I want, where I want.....

(not meaning to imply that the OP seemed to be planning to not follow the rules if reporting was required... I don't think that has ever been implied here)

First of all, can someone tell me how to add photos inline? I can't figure it out.

I can't resist adding my own shovelfull of manure to this already impressive pile.

This thread reminds me of the good old days of RAH, at the peak of the Zoom/Juan/Fetters/BWB flame wars. Not nearly as mean though, I guess all the angry old white men have finally settled down (or died) and gotten used to the internet. /rant

The still from the video clearly shows the latch rotated back, but it isn't in the fully latched position. When I found the canopy, it was in the same partially latched position. How it ended up in that position, I don't know. Too bad I forgot to put an SD card in my canopy camera. Too bad I wasn't wearing the helmet I had in my lap that has a video camera on it. Too bad I didn't have the ?selfie? video camera installed. I did have one working camera, and it did give me a lot of valuable information, including the location of my canopy. I fly with cameras. They are extra eyes, they are extra memory, they are objective.

I don't know why the canopy opened. There was nothing unusual in the way I was flying, I wasn't going that fast, there was no turbulence, I wasn't maneuvering. Since I first got the airplane, the canopy latch has been a procedural problem for me. I have forgotten to fully latch it on several occasions, I have flown with it unlatched, with it held shut by the secondary latching mechanism. It's in an exposed location in the cockpit where it might get bumped by my shoulder. Several times I've put my hand on it in the pattern, thinking I had my hand on the throttle or the flaps. As a result of these scares, and from the example of flight instructors Michael Church and Adam Zeeman of Sunrise Aviation in Costa Mesa, I added a canopy latch check to my written and mental checklists, along with checking my seatbelt and checking for loose items in the cockpit. The canopy was definitely fully latched before takeoff, and I checked it at least three more times during the flight.

It's nice to be complimented on my piloting skill, but I am a low time pilot with only enough piloting skill to fly an RV-3 and not crash most of the time. Many pilots who were much better than me have died in similar, or even relatively benign mishaps. The skills that contributed to my success in this incident are not pilot skills. The ability to stay on my feet and stay focused and keep fighting after I've been hit in the face, and am dazed and bleeding came from karate training. The ability to maintain control and not over-control in a chaotic environment came from decades of riding a bike in heavy traffic with reckless abandon. The ability to fly, and think, and remain calm with 160mph of wind in my face and no goggles came from years of skydiving. Nothing happened to me on the flight that hadn't already happened to me before, and worse. I just made up an epigram: ?The dishwasher who survives is not the one with the best dish washing skills, he's the one with the best survival skills.?

What I'm taking away from this experience:
My canopy has a dual locking mechanism. Merely unlatching the mechanism won't allow it to open, the latch has to be pushed all the way forward and held there while I swing open the canopy. When I replace the canopy, I will add a secondary latching mechanism that requires even more deliberate ?I really want to open the canopy? action to release it.

I like the fact that the canopy ripped away in half a second instead of flapping in the breeze and hitting me several more times as it came apart. I'm not going to reinforce the hinge side.

I believe that it's pointless to plan for a problem this specific (other than an engine out; and stalls should be routine). No amount of thinking or planning will prepare you for losing a canopy. When it happens, thinking stops. You do not have 5 or 10 or 30 seconds to remember what you thought you were going to do if your canopy opened in flight, and when it opens, it won't be anything like you imagined it would be. Getting hit repeatedly in the face will prepare you better. Skydiving will prepare you better. Getting time in an open cockpit airplane will prepare you better. I recommend reading other open cockpit threads in this forum. I don't recommend getting hit in the face.

First of all, can someone tell me how to add photos inline? I can't figure it out.

This is Picasa -

1. open your album - Upper right side, be sure that access, Share, is provided to "all who have the link"

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-05-02%2520at%25205.49.50%2520PM.png

2. open the specific photo
3. Click on the "link to this photo" on the lower right frame.
Screen%2520Shot%25202015-05-02%2520at%25204.33.41%2520PM.png

Now - click on Select Size pull down box and select original or 800

and click on the box that says "Image Only,no link"

Last - click and copy the address in the box that has the embed image address (blue in the photo) and paste it fully in the box for "insert photo" in VAF.

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-05-02%2520at%25204.34.03%2520PM.png

Let me know if this doesn't get you working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back