What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP horiz. induction-mating to Van's snorkle?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
ok, i searched and couldn't find it.

i'm installing a horiz. induction AFP FM-200 unit.
The Van's snorkel kit for io-360 comes with a square fiberglass end for fitting to an injection system with a built in mounting bracket.

The AFP fm-200 has a round cylinder as it's intake and no bracket.

I'll give Don at airflow in the morning and see if he makes something.

in the meantime, how have you tackled this??

Hi Tom,

I ended up slicing off the end and rebuilding it to fit the FM-200. I'm surprised that nobody has come up with a drop-in snorkel for the FM-200.

Regards,
/\/elson

It is common to have to cut the flange of the snorkel to fit the intake flange of injections. A cut, fit flange to inj or make a new flange, and re-glass in place is a common solution. Once in place, you can mark and drill new mount holes in the snorkel.

It is common to have to cut the flange of the snorkel to fit the intake flange of injections. A cut, fit flange to inj or make a new flange, and re-glass in place is a common solution. Once in place, you can mark and drill new mount holes in the snorkel.

Actually it has not been very common for many years now since the tooling for the part was improved.
In this case the OP is talking about interfacing the Vans snorkle to an FM-200 fuel servo. The FM-200 does not have a flange on the inlet end to interface too.

ok, i searched and couldn't find it.

i'm installing a horiz. induction AFP FM-200 unit.
The Van's snorkel kit for io-360 comes with a square fiberglass end for fitting to an injection system with a built in mounting bracket.

The AFP fm-200 has a round cylinder as it's intake and no bracket.

I'll give Don at airflow in the morning and see if he makes something.

in the meantime, how have you tackled this??

I have done the same thing and am wrestling with plumbing the induction. I have a smooth cowl on the -8 and when I mount the lower cowl, I find I have about 1/2" clearance between the lower lip of the FM200 and the cowl. There is no room at all to plumb Van's induction as far as I can see. The FM200 has a longer barrel on it and it takes more room. I don't know what horizontal sump you have, but I have the ECI sump with the 7 degree angle and am currently planning a scoop. I don't see any other option.

Edit: I suppose you could add a bump to the cowling, but if I have to do that, I may as well do the scoop.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is building with an AFP and snorkel.

I'm convinced that is why he is not flying yet.......:D

Kidding.

Haven't gotten that far yet but a bump is pretty easy. I had to put one on the bottom cowling of my 10 to allow for the air conditioner pulley.

Tom

Back