What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12vdc receptacle

woxofswa

Well Known Member
I recently read an interesting article in a respected magazine written by a respected author.

One thing that caught my eye however, was the comment that a "cigarette lighter type connector on the panel just isn't acceptable".

I've owned a certified aircraft that had just such a receptacle and I installed one in my RV10. I have enjoyed it tremendously, usually to charge my phone, but I have also used it to inflate a tire and even to inflate my air mattress at OSH. I sourced a high quality unit from a marine catalog and used aircraft wire with its own circuit breaker to install it.

Am I missing something? The author didn't elaborate on his acceptability comment. I am curious how others feel about this topic.

I recently read an interesting article in a respected magazine written by a respected author.

One thing that caught my eye however, was the comment that a "cigarette lighter type connector on the panel just isn't acceptable".

I've owned a certified aircraft that had just such a receptacle and I installed one in my RV10. I have enjoyed it tremendously, usually to charge my phone, but I have also used it to inflate a tire and even to inflate my air mattress at OSH. I sourced a high quality unit from a marine catalog and used aircraft wire with its own circuit breaker to install it.

Am I missing something? The author didn't elaborate on his acceptability comment. I am curious how others feel about this topic.

Maybe the author you refer to has specific aesthetic preferences. Or perhaps they were traumatized by such a receptacle when they were young?

I put one in my panel and have used it for a variety of different purposes. I don't think there is a thing wrong with it, provided it's properly wired and protected (fuse/CB) appropriately.

They offend me for use as a power connector. They were designed as a receptacle for a cigar lighter.

They are way too big and the spring action is trying to disconnect rather than retain the connection. Readily available ones tend to be shoddily constructed.

But that is the standard and i have one in my panel and use it every flight. Not elegant at all but it is practical and I have had no problems with mine.

I'm with Brad in that I don't see the problem. BTW, what was the article about? Knowing the context might help us understand the authors rationale.

They offend me for use as a power connector. They were designed as a receptacle for a cigar lighter.

They are way too big and the spring action is trying to disconnect rather than retain the connection. Readily available ones tend to be shoddily constructed.

But that is the standard and i have one in my panel and use it every flight. Not elegant at all but it is practical and I have had no problems with mine.

Yes, there is better design capability, but no offering and infrastructure. I have one as well.

Is there something better AND useful?

USB

Yes, there is better design capability, but no offering and infrastructure. I have one as well.

Is there something better AND useful?

Most electronic devices now can be powered by a USB connector, and it may also be needed for access to your newer EFIS units.

Look neater on the panel.

Most electronic devices now can be powered by a USB connector, and it may also be needed for access to your newer EFIS units.

Look neater on the panel.

Can't trickle charge the battery with it. Can't use it with auto accessories designed for the lighter plug. Both of those are reasons I skipped the USB option.

Without further information from the article's author, he might as well have said "I don't like the color blue and you shouldn't use it."

Seriously, a 12v receptacle has many uses. I have one in my airplane and if I wasn't lazy, I'd add another one. They are very useful.

Got one on mine, although it's hidden underneath the panel because, yes, they're ugly. Right now it's powering the XM radio adapter...

A cigarette lighter connector is required to power some items. On both planes I have built I also use the audio wiring connectors, earth outer and pos. inner for those things I wire in myself for removal easily, such as handheld GPS and radios. My cig lighter is used for a power supply to USB equipment and has a transformer built in attachment. The other plug is an anderson plug which connects a heavy duty battery connection to assist in starting.

A better alternative to the cigar lighter

There is a connector called "Powerlet" that is used on many motorcycles to power various accessories like audio systems, heated vests, etc. for the long-distance, comfort-oriented motorcycle crowd. I think they may even be standard equipment on BMW.

They are similar in concept to a cigar lighter receptacle, but WAY better made, with a nice positive snap in, and they are a little smaller.

So that's what I used in my RV-8. I can charge my battery with it, power temporary accessories in flight, whatever. I would LOVE it if the Powerlet would become a defacto standard, instead of the dumb cigar lighter plug.

Anyone else use powerlet?

deja vu - again

someone on VAF has covered this before....the quick version is that the old cig socket has been improved, still ugly,
but you can get a better connection with the powerlet type plug, which has something like a headset plug bayonet at the tip.
likely came for a need to make motorcycle plugs more vibration resistant.
powerlet_zpsiuyhtcih.jpg

I used Powerlet connectors on my RV-10 as well as a receptacle for my battery charger. The smaller size made it easier to install where I wanted them.

I installed one of these as an external power plug but in the cabin I still have a "standard" 12v receptacle, if you have to use an adapter in the cabin you just defeated the purpose.

There is no reason to choose between a cigarette style outlet or a usb. They make then with both in one unit for the previously mentioned motorcycle industry.

The article in question was AERO'letctrics in June's Kitplanes issue.

Always one of my favorites to read every month.

BTW, the vast majority of the most expensive and luxurious automobiles on the planet have 12V "power outlet" cig lighter receptacles installed.

Last edited:
The article in question was AERO'letctrics in June's Kitplanes issue.

Always one of my favorites to read every month.

BTW, the vast majority of the most expensive and luxurious automobiles on the planet have 12V "power outlet" cig lighter receptacles installed.

After rereading the article it appears to me to just be the author expressing his personal opinion, no rational was given for his statement.

We all have opinions. :)

Another vote for Powerlet

I also use Powerlet outlets in my 8. I anticipated the possible use of heated garments and wanted an outlet better able to handle the higher currents required. I also occasionly use mine for battery maintenance. This is a standard system in sport vehicles and includes a system of cables for charging any device you might want. Plugs can be purchased to adapt any cables you already have. There is no real need to use the adaptor pictured. That being said, the old standard cigarette lighter socket will suffice for low power requirements so long as you keep an occasional eye on it to be sure the device does not jar loose and leave you with a dead iPad.

Chuck

I use what looks like your powerlet connection on my camper trailer. the anderson plugs I use on my planes are much more robust, being rated at 60 Amps. Of course they may not ba available in the USA

VW 12VDC Outlets

I'm using some 12VDC outlet found in VW's. They are the same thing sold by Steinair but you can get them with the hinge on the left, right or bottom of the outlet. The units from Steinair have the hinge on the right.

I found www.ecstuning.com carries all three types. Links and some pix of how I did it in my panel are shown below. The close up pix were before I countersunk the #6 screws on the sides and added an angle tying into the fuselage side skins.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Hinge on the bottom: VW 1K0-919-341-F-9B9 http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/1K0919341F9B9/ES318304/
Hinge on the right: VW 1K0-919-341-G-9B9 http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/1K0919341G9B9/ES318305/
Hinge on the left: VW 1K0-919-341-J-9B9 http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/1K0919341J9B9/ES318306/
Socket (needed for any of the above) VW 1K0-919-309 http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/1K0919309/ES318291/

Aircraft%20001_zpsip6iln0m.jpg

Aircraft%20002_zps1fmgy561.jpg

Aircraft%20001_zps7sabxq2o.jpg

IMG_0250_zpsprgf7n7b.jpg

Circuit diagram?

Does anyone have a circuit diagram? I suppose it's pretty simple - unit...wire...breaker or fuse.

But being an electrical newbie I always wonder if there's info that "everyone" has but me.

thanks

Back