What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian Registration of US Aircraft

John Courte

Well Known Member
Do I have to register my -7 in Canada if I'm not a Canadian citizen?

There's a possibility I might be moving to Vancouver, BC for work. This came up once before, but it's a lot more likely now.

Back then I was still building, now I have a flying airplane. I don't know how long I'll stay there, but I know I won't be going for citizenship right away.

thanks,
-John

It's been a while since I looked at it. But I've been there a couple of times, more than a few months and stuff gets complicated.

The rules are based on residency rather than citizenship. The tax folks will want their cut pretty quickly, though you can do a few months with a red sticker in the window. Be sure to return to the U.S. And then import as you "arrive".

There is some room if you are back and forth enough to argue residency.

Transport Canada also frowns on it, so there are two sets of rules you need to be on the right side of.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Especially when it comes to taxes

Derek

....the rule

202.42 (1) Subject to section 203.03, no person shall operate in Canada an aircraft that is registered in a foreign state that has been present in Canada for a total of 90 days or more in the immediately preceding twelve-month period unless
(a) the foreign state is a contracting state;
(b) the operator of the aircraft is
(i) the foreign state,
(ii) an individual who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident but is a citizen or subject of the foreign state, or
(iii) an entity that is incorporated or otherwise formed under the laws of the foreign state; and
(c) if the operator of the aircraft is an entity described in subparagraph (b)(iii), the aircraft is operated in Canada
(i) in accordance with an air operator certificate, or
(ii) in any operation other than an operation that would require a private operator certificate if the aircraft were registered in Canada.
(2) For the purposes of calculating the 90-day period,
(a) if the aircraft is present in Canada for any part of a calendar day, that part shall be counted as one day; and
(b) an aircraft is deemed to be present in Canada as soon as it enters Canadian airspace.

Last edited:
Registering

I had a buddy fly his 9A for over 2 years with the N number on. He was in fact a Canadian citizen so I don't see a problem for your situation. His biggest reason for changing was due to the fact that FAA apparently wants the majority of hours flown in USA if you have an N number. That is the only reason he changed.
My advise to you would be to call Transport Canada to get there take if you still have concerns but I don't think it would be a problem.

Good luck and welcome to Canada

Not directly the question but like interesting to others in your situation.... the tax rules. (No duty) just sales tax,

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-4-1-eng.pdf

As practical matter they want your money as soon as you enter the Country to setup your new home, and can get quite nasty if you try to delay.

As a Canadian I missed the permenant resident part in the cars. if you are not a PR you should be able to hang on to your N number. My read is pay the tax and you should be good for quite a while.

Derek

Thanks very much for the info. Whether or not I go for permanent residency will be determined by how the job works out.

I had a buddy fly his 9A for over 2 years with the N number on. He was in fact a Canadian citizen so I don't see a problem for your situation. His biggest reason for changing was due to the fact that FAA apparently wants the majority of hours flown in USA if you have an N number. That is the only reason he changed.
My advise to you would be to call Transport Canada to get there take if you still have concerns but I don't think it would be a problem.

Good luck and welcome to Canada

What does the FAA think about all of the N-registered planes flying in the UK then?

Most registered to trusts in Delaware but flying 100% in the UK.

Perhaps a UK VAF member can elaborate...

Back