What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's there to do in San Luis Obispo?

John Courte

Well Known Member
We're flying up to KSBP from KSMO tomorrow (after the presidential TFR's lift) and parking the plane at the Jet Center.

I was wondering what fun things there are to do in the San Luis Obispo area for a kidless couple with a rental car.

Any recommended activities or destinations?

Difficulty: can't do wine tours - she's allergic to alcohol.

thanks,
-john

Last edited:
Go see the mission. Ok, that may just be me as I spent a lot of my time as a kid at some of the missions near the Bay Area and visited many of the others (my Great Aunt was a Franciscan and is buried at Carmel Mission).

I also used to love to go to Morro Bay and eat at the Great American Fish Company. I see from reviews that it may be declining but there are other good restaurants right at the wharf and eating dinner with a view of the Rock as the sun sets is not to be missed.

Hearst' Castle is good but I never liked the weekend crowds; always better on Tuesday or Wednesday and it seemed like the docent's would 'give' a little more on the tours. For weekends, I'd prefer the drive up PCH toward Carmel. If you get as far as the Whale Watcher Cafe (assuming it's still there, and why not?) it's a great place to have lunch and watch the sea, whales or no.

Downtown SLO is very nice to walk around and shop. Walk to end of pier at Avila to have lunch or dinner at Old Port Inn. Rent a dune buggy or bicycle at Oceano Dunes. Visit downtown Arroyo Grande Village--walk over the swinging bridge, and have an Cone at Doc Bernstein's Ice Cream Parlor.

Thanks for the tips!

If you're at KSBP after noon on Friday and you see an unpainted 7 with an OD green cowl and black spinner, that's me.

Firestone Grill

Get a tri tip sandwich at the Firestone Grill. Heavenly! They are located in an old Firestone Tire place in downtown SLO.

See Lions

If you go to the Castle do yourself a favor and go up the coast a little farther and check out the Sea Lions (Sea something they are BIG!). Not sure how many are on the beach now but it is an interesting experience.

Also check out the Novo Restaurant and there Salmon Soup, it is delicious. The front looks like a dive but walt through to the back patio and ask for a table by the creek. You will not be disappointed.

Up the road in Cambria is the Cambria Pines Lodge (Groupon, Travel Zoo etc have coupons from time to time. Nice to stay if you are spending the night. Lynn,s is a good place for dinner in Cambria.

It is nice up there you will find something.

Novo Restaurant
726 Higuera Street, San Luis Obispo, CA ‎
(805) 543-398

River walk and other downtown SLO spots

Immediately adjacent to the Mission is a fascinating, albeit short walk along the river. Think San Antonio TX riverwalk on a much smaller scale.
(To my friends in Texas, yes... There's nothing like the real thang!)

I understand alcohol limits your interests; I'm designated pilot/ driver. I still recommend the Firestone Walker for a very nice gastropub-ish spot outside town. They're a big local brewer, and the restaurant delivers top notch fare.

In town, very close to Bubble Gum alley, is the Big Sky Cafe. It's a favorite whether we drive through or fly in. Reasonable prices, great coffee, and a tasty menu.

Hold on to your wallet downtown; lots of spendy art, clothing, home furnishing shops.

SLO = FUN

A great weekend in SLO, thanks for all your help!

We did a picnic along the river in town, hiked the Johnson Ranch Open space, visited the Hearst Castle, checked out the Mission, and took a short hike up the Bishop Peak trail this morning before takeoff.:D

Oh, and a quick NOTAM:
If you rent a car from Enterprise, don't have the Jet Center deliver it to you, just walk the 100ft to the rental lot. If you have them deliver the car or even the keys, a $22/day car rented online becomes a $44/day car. But the San Luis Jet Center people are awesome, and got us back to our non-delivery rate since the person working on friday was new, and we walked over to our car anyway.

Last edited:
Tour the bathrooms at Madonna Inn hotel.

I remember doing that 40 years ago. Both of them! They were eye openers, especially when a troop of women walked in the mens room and said you should take a look at ours. And we did.

A Little Late....

Too late to help the OP, but I wanted to add a few activities for future visitors to KSBP.
If you are there on a Thursday evening, don't miss the weekly Farmers Market on Higuera St in SLO! Food, music, fresh produce, and best of all great ribs, and tri-tip!
Also, if you head up to Hearst Castle, you don't want to miss the burgers at Sebastian's in San Simeon. My bride and I split a 3/4# Hearst Ranch Beef burger, and we both agreed that it was one of the best burgers in memory.https://plus.google.com/11535386091...6053213221741112258&oid=103908534766096516378
If one heads south on 101, stop for breakfast at Fat Cat's at Port San Luis in Avila Beach. http://fatcatscafe.com/
Also, fly in to Oceano, park your plane and make use of the free bikes to pedal your way into Pismo Beach for a meal. Don't forget to leave a donation for use of the bikes!

Back