What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RTV in hard-to-reach places?

John Courte

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm still chasing down some cooling gremlins and I think I'm pretty close, but I would love to hear any and all advice, tips, tricks, and workarounds for getting RTV into really tight places that are covered up by other bits and pieces.

Mostly it comes down to not being able to position the end of the tube where I need the RTV to go, and if I can, not being able to squeeze it effectively.

I've tried things like trying to squeeze it through a section of plastic brake line, dabbing it on with the end of a screwdriver, and just wiping it on with a finger.

There has to be some sort of magic RTV syringe out there, preferably like one of those electric caulk guns, but smaller, and with a flexible spout.

Any ideas?

Can you get your finger(one of them) in there? If not, maybe a Popsicle stick with a glob of RTV. Other than that, you may have to disassemble a part and squeeze some in first to get a good seal.

Get the high temp silicone that comes in pressurized containers. No tube squeezing involved and you can add vinyl tubing to the end to extend the reach to get it where you want it.

I taped up the end after each use. It probably lasted a month and I was able to eventually use up the entire tube. Just had to push out the hardened stuff out of the tapered nozzle.

Sure beats the heck out of squeezing a tube. Just pull the handle and out it comes. I ordered some from Jegs, then found it locally at my O Reilly auto parts store.

Randall in Sedona

I used a medical syringe and just put a piece of tubing on the end. used a small one so that it had more hydraulic pressure for the amount of effort.

I have managed to get to some places with a finger, but not all.

Randy, I'll look for the pressurized hi-temp silicone at the O Reilly on my way to work tomorrow, thanks!

I'm right on the bubble. I want to get my oil temp down another 5-10 degrees (in climb or with OAT above 75) by sealing absolutely everything I can before I start doing things like cutting back the cowl exit.

I like to buy livestock syringes at Tractor Supply. Fill it up with RTV - the nozzle is a convenient fit for the open end of the syringe - and it's pretty easy to get it to go where you want it. I sealed all around my baffles this way and the results were much more neat than I'd have been able to do with just the tube or my fingers.

mcb

I like to buy livestock syringes at Tractor Supply. Fill it up with RTV - the nozzle is a convenient fit for the open end of the syringe - and it's pretty easy to get it to go where you want it. I sealed all around my baffles this way and the results were much more neat than I'd have been able to do with just the tube or my fingers.

mcb

I use this method too when trying to place RTV accurately and cleanly. I get the pressurized tube of RTV and then use it to fill a livestock syringe. The syringes are cheap enough that you just throw it away when the job is done.

Back