What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not quite, an almost a 14 mod!

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Shorty Seat Back Brace

Like many others it seems; i've found it to be a comfortable seating position with the seat backs rested directly against the cross brace, disregarding the hinged seat back brace. However, I am not happy with the seat back just flopping there and not locked firmly in place, as it is when the hinged seat back brace in play.

So, i ordered two new F-638 seat back braces (only about $10 a piece) and fabbed up a couple shortys. I cut about 1-3/8" off the leading edge of the factory brace with a tin snips. This puts the seat backs within about 1/4" of the cross brace. I used some leftover hinge from fuse kit. Now I can have the postion I want, with the seat backs firmly in place. Surely I cant be the first to do this, but just thought i'd share. $20 and an hour of my time...

neuv5y.jpg

2mdfip1.jpg

s2z0n5.jpg

donxa1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Derek, I did the same thing. I didn't care for them just resting in the cross brace since I'm too tall for the stock ones.

Took all of the adjustment rest out and line the back of the seat... total comfort. :) some trimming required...

My seat backs have rested directly against the cross brace since day one without a problem. They do not flop around. Just more time, money and weight that you will never use.

They are easy to install later if a new owner happens to be much shorter than you. Keep your airplane light. Don't install anything that you don't need. You will be rewarded with an amazing airplane.

Back