What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex and Primer

ctbecker

Well Known Member
We bonded the canopy on the 8A and are ready to fill in the gaps and smooth out the rough edges. The question for the group. When putting sikaflex over sikaflex, is primer required or necessary on the cured sikaflex. I know that it is required where there is only old primer.

Your best bet for a good connection is to use primer.

I would tend to agree, but if it comes down to buying another can of oh-so-expensive primer or not, you might want to try a test first. Apply some Sika over Sika after buffing/cleaning/etc then wait a few days and try pulling it apart.

I used black RTV over the Sika to fill the rough edges. It doesn't look too bad. Overall, I rate myself a 1 out of 10 for caulking application.

I used black RTV over the Sika to fill the rough edges. It doesn't look too bad. Overall, I rate myself a 1 out of 10 for caulking application.

Tony, I'll race you to the bottom there :)

BTW good to meet you at Oshkosh!

Sika on Sika

I asked the tech guys this same question, and he said you do not have to reapply the primer to the Sika. Sika sticks on Sika just fine. I have done this and there has been no problems. I did use the cleaner (though I didn't get into the specifics about this with the tech guy -- I just thought about it after our conversation). If you put it on anything else besides the Sika itself, make sure you use the cleaner and primer (even if over primer that has sat past the instruction time -- I used two hours as the cutoff). Dave

I tested sika over sika without primer on a bead over a bead I put on a piece of scrap alum. After the second bead had fully cured I tried to pull it off with a pair of pliers. With considerable force I was able to rip pieces off but those pieces were both beads stuck together. The Sika/Sika bond was stronger than the sika/alum bond (I did use the cleaner and primer on the alum).

BTW..the cleaner smells an awful lot like alcohol..I'd bet that is all it is.

Back