What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Cradle

EAA has plans for a wing stand on rollers made out of plywood. That’s what I built. Put wheels on it and it’s great.

Transport RV-12 wing

I may need to transport one damaged RV-12 wing from KBVS (Burington, WA) to the factory. I would like to see photos of wing cradles. CWhat do you think about just transporting the wing without a cradle in a truck or trailer laying on cardboard and blankets?

Transporting ours the short distance from Everett to Arlington in a rental truck worked well.

Attachments

• hangar4.jpg
    hangar4.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 180
EAA has plans for a wing stand on rollers made out of plywood. That’s what I built. Put wheels on it and it’s great.

I built the same one from the EAA plans. I think I had most of the materials from construction projects. It cost next to nothing. Out of curiosity, why aluminum- nothing wrong with it, just seems expensive.

Looked at lots of posts about wing stands before I built mine. Don’t spend a lot of money on these as you will not use them once the build is done. Total cost was less than $30 and less than 2 hours to build them. Here are som pix.

Attachments

• 5053B87F-B013-4BAD-BC36-166B9FABC0B0.jpg
    5053B87F-B013-4BAD-BC36-166B9FABC0B0.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 3E7CC7E2-B0AA-4739-B302-6A6DC2ED04B4.jpg
    3E7CC7E2-B0AA-4739-B302-6A6DC2ED04B4.jpg
    921 KB · Views: 220
Thats the exact same design I built 10 years age for my RV12. I've used them every year since. It's much easier for me to perform the condition inspection with the wings off.

I wouldn’t say you won’t use them again. SB’s derail the best laid plans of mice and men. I found out in 2012 when the landing gear attachment mod came out.

You will use the wing cradle much more than you think. Here is mine.

Attachments

• Wing cradle.jpg
    Wing cradle.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 223
Back