What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Move to North Dallas area.

togaflyer

Well Known Member
My son is moving to the Dallas area and will be working in Plano. He is looking for info on decent areas to buy a house and also within a reasonable drive to a GA airport for his aviation fix. We have zero knowledge of that area. Thanks….

Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco, Murphy, Lucas, and Wylie are all good places to live. It depends where in Plano he will be working. Plano covers a large geographic area and it can take 45 minutes in rush hour to get from one side to the other. Crime is pretty low in all those areas, but property taxes are stupid high. Texas doesn’t have an income tax but they get you on the property tax.

Nearby airports are Rockwall (F46), AeroCounty (T31), McKinney (TKI), and Addison (ADS). Unfortunately hangar wait times and rent are crazy in the Dallas area.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited:
Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco, Murphy, Lucas, and Wylie are all good places to live. It depends where in Plano he will be working. Plano covers a large geographic area and it can take 45 minutes in rush hour to get from one side to the other. Crime is pretty low in all those areas, but property taxes are stupid high. Texas doesn’t have an income tax but they get you on the property tax.

Nearby airports are Rockwall (F46), AeroCounty (T31), McKinney (TKI), and Addison (ADS). Unfortunately hangar wait times and rent are crazy in the Dallas area.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Curious, what is "crazy" hangar rent in the DFW area?

I'm in the DC area and wondering if the definitions of crazy are the same, because the wife and I have been toying with the idea of moving back to Dallas.

What about Carrollton area. Prices appear a little lower. He will be joining a flight club when he gets there.

Curious, what is "crazy" hangar rent in the DFW area?

I'm in the DC area and wondering if the definitions of crazy are the same, because the wife and I have been toying with the idea of moving back to Dallas.

The public use airports are all on a 4 to 6 year waiting list for hangar space.

A T-hangar at 52F, home of VAF, was just advertised at $750 a month, but it was an end hangar and had space for an airplane and a travel trailer, so that's higher than normal. Most t-hangars are $500-600.

Shared hangar space is $350-450 for a RV sized plane. Obviously the further away from downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth, the cheaper the rent.

Back