What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL-50R

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a manual for the GDL-50R. I can only find a combo GDL 5X manual. I assume the instrument needs to be mounted horizontally with the arrow facing forward? They offer no guidance on installation.

Thanks,

Tom

Does anyone have a manual for the GDL-50R. I can only find a combo GDL 5X manual. I assume the instrument needs to be mounted horizontally with the arrow facing forward? They offer no guidance on installation.

Thanks,

Tom
Hello Tom,

The mounting guidance for the GDL 50R is included in section 2.12, Mounting Requirements of the Rev. 2 GDL 50(R), 51(R), 52(R) installation manual.

I underlined the answers to your questions in the text below extracted from that section.

The GDL 5X/5XR includes a sensitive attitude measurement sensor. Consider the following when selecting a mounting location:
? Mount the unit with the FWD arrow aligned to within 3.0? of the longitudinal axis of the aircraft (LED bezel parallel to the wing spar). Mount the GDL 5XR so that the connectors point in the aft direction.
? The unit can be mounted with the serial tag pointing straight up or straight down, within 30 degrees of a level flight position.
? Using the connected display, cage the gyros while the plane is in a level flight position.
? For proper attitude performance the unit should be rigidly mounted to the aircraft.
? The unit should be mounted to the aircraft with the LED bezel facing toward the rear of the aircraft.
? To prevent degraded accuracy, avoid placing the unit near areas that are prone to severe vibration.
? The mounting location for the unit should be protected from rapid thermal transients, in particular large heat loads from nearby high-power equipment.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve - somehow missed that section. Everything is clear except this sentence:

"The unit can be mounted with the serial tag pointing straight up or straight down, within 30 degrees of a level flight position."

Does that mean I can mount the unit upside down if necessary?

Thanks again

Thanks Steve - somehow missed that section. Everything is clear except this sentence:

"The unit can be mounted with the serial tag pointing straight up or straight down, within 30 degrees of a level flight position."

Does that mean I can mount the unit upside down if necessary?

Thanks again
Hello Tom,

Yes, your GDL 50R may be mounted right side up or upside down, but not on its side.

Thanks,
Steve

What happens if you mount it on it's side?
Hello Tooch,

If you mount the GDL 5X/5XR units on their side, the attitude data is not usable by portable devices that might want to use it.

Thanks,
Steve

What are you using it for?

So the question is, are you using the GDL/50-R to pipe in altitude and synthetic vision information into a portable like a 660? If not, and you’re just using it for ADSB and traffic information, it doesn’t matter how or where you mount it. If you are using its synthetic vision/altitude information, then yes, the mounting position is important.

So here's where I decided to mount the GDL50R, utilizing the same supports for the GTX35R between the subpanel and the firewall.

Thoughts? Any concerns with bluetooth connectivity in that location?

khOXHiKVg09uLDeOE2yNo8RoJhfmboM1UzvthY6D_l_GqSW6fJdcoFlN5mG82Sab9ptYG9mSBhMETyYyMv3Uw7NNAZe0Z_3R9wrviF-qZTcKY7cG-q8LaHflL1I30W1bJ9FHcRUzwWzGztTDzw3pSsoBHxbSzsCAMUW92ZTy7cFQhRmbx3UoOV5rVknqAMRsQekkzQxzaVnSKWQ5s0MxLWwFfctoq0ojyMD3ysq6uuoL3qe3PS9CKghctXWBF20DRTR63f6DBIg-tkOEjXT02zRl-XVrHIOWExftBeWVAOHoLcMmVoeN9kx54Shs0W-dyAtx8jlgAy-YHsS183soRecl8A4bqURnO-rnVyOjbeTZ0ROpQ3moObV7uivkMOvDvJ12_SxvZZ8u2uVyyJRNBNc94Ikgx_7IBvHCfJ9UUFHzTKgtcxCqJ2cXvn6eUbAghvj4nJVQsGq-EgqT0o5Djs3Qy7KjA4jTVjeC11uN3e41zUSEPjBa7goe_aZ223jKg8zjRb5oRIHBxPqPPr2-0vNjSDWcu13yILiKZjoB2HcrUtk9F-VN4gV0QZeeH4G9viYK-he5c99j_6JiRMo-o5weFOFe4Pwu_epLlYplFtd0IyVULFqnekFXO3KTJro9yxSXoshWnAgOJNQWHWD00jSt7xczoXg=w456-h608-no

tzE8ExJglS1OmB4BPUSEkZFf6TLi5aMfcGYLXhjbV8XWM0TSP6iV9VulhDgp2k0LYS6zdYfeQxmuM3TLrQGNs-Rht8z3EtdPHnwFXtIH-aWnzP2Ne1KdwYwtBc69V-kV5vfw0HlyOi4ps5KZmH7qQRKiyFKSG5t4qwFCrIKpqamVqftwdRoFzzJ8BDAplPwlPiBcg2Kbw0M1iGtiHpUL9-iZ8sWxDETWKGHVegnN2CpGQryKHsFgf9Fpub8XErzzP0oZrB5YwS8Kyw1p_dJh89QAwfYyronhc4O4RMBerxU-FZh_8AJZrd1zqsfUIfT8zkpvpZD-G5Ez8F8VPg0MnEFj793vIKxP_haVariXg6f6VD09sF6lrp3IsYVTnAXiKPhH8iGyoMi2TdD9x0PErhJpy8GMqKH2mIgVSnYLTK9N7t8i805wRiOMA83a_RAUlVdmmTVuHBVdDQQ8OQtAM1CQVi-xNcBmuidH_BOKhZbTUMw0Wf9IOzPsYBGQ3qcmftrHZdZb-DcfosVGQr0hCoErL6q7IQfALgW-85iajEQ45X6Tyy4VnoR1WSLrCe0CUqzLEAOM5jMn0c9PSmoqTbtJfTLFtagorrYl_nkvfY2ySToXjb5LcHoHTOGHuqmwAAJCBP5NttgOQtDsWFTS_aHb7dGpe-4=w456-h608-no

Back