What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration RV12

Cyclone

I'm wrapping up the build project and have a question concerning the Aircraft Registration process. Do I need the packet of forms from Vans including the Bill of Sale and such or can I just download from the FAA, fill out and send to the FISDO?

I checked my AW package. It has three documents with a Vans signature: Bill of Sale, Statement of Conformance and the Affidavit of ownership.

I guess that really didn?t answer your question. I reserved an N number without any of the paperwork I described, and as I recall I needed the bill of sale to complete the reservation.

There are absolutely no "forms" required to reserve an "N" number. A reserved number is assigned to a person, not any aircraft.

You don't have to have an aircraft, a kit, or anything else. Just $10.

I'm wrapping up the build project and have a question concerning the Aircraft Registration process. Do I need the packet of forms from Vans including the Bill of Sale and such or can I just download from the FAA, fill out and send to the FISDO?

If you are going to register as E-LSA, or want to use the kit as a basis for meeting 51% as E-AB, you will need the Bill of Sale from Van?s; but that?s the only form you need from them. The rest of the forms are right here:
https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/amateur_regs/

In order to register as E-LSA, Vans Aircraft needs to fill out and sign and give to you FAA
Form 8130-15 "Light-Sport Statement of Compliance". Vans will not provide that form
unless you buy every part from them and assemble the RV-12 exactly per the plans.

Last edited:
In order to register as E-LSA, Vans Aircraft needs fill out and sign and give to you FAA
Form 8130-15 "Light-Sport Statement of Compliance". Vans will not provide that form
unless you buy every part from them and assemble the RV-12 exactly per the plans.

Which is reason I have decided to go EAB. (experimental amateur build like RV-7 and 8 I built) We are getting paper work lined up right now. Have number reserved, waiting on Bill of Sale from Vans.

There is no advantage for me to go E-LSA, you end up with a quasi certified airplane, like a Cessna, very difficult to make any changes.

There is no advantage for me to go E-LSA, you end up with a quasi certified airplane, like a Cessna, very difficult to make any changes.

This is not correct.

An E-LSA is still an experimental aircraft.
True, to qualify for E-LSA you have to build it exactly per the KAI and present it that way for certification.
After certification you can modify it to any degree you choose.
The only limiting factor is that any modification can't make the airplane perform outside of the limitations of a light sport aircraft.

Thanks for the help

I have an N number reserved and initiated the paperwork from Van?s.
Still have some work to finish up along with moving to the hangar, inspection and transition training. I enjoyed the build a lot more than the paper work :)

Back