What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro Tips

Stroh21

Well Known Member
Hello VAF!!!

I'm looking to purchase a GoPro for my RV-8A. I'm interested to get advice from those out there that have used the system, what kind of mount you bought, and where you had the best luck installing the mount.

Thank you for your time!

Matt

NFlight

We use NFlight billet mount on the exterior and their interior suction cup mount with audio patch cables in the cockpit. Most folks that use it a lot will have the standard sticky mounts all over for multiple angles too. We also have a ton of extra mounts, housings and filters for fishing, diving and flying. You can't have to much stuff! Go ahead and start learning how to use the editing software now! Try a few different ones to see what you like most. That'll be as important as getting the video. It will take a little time but the more you use it, the better you'll get!

This was shot with a GoPro 3 on a billet mount. It's a "Blue Hole" on the north end of Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas.

This is video I took while training for my RV at Patty Wagstaffs in St Augustine. I used the NFlight suction mount with audio patch cables and a GoPro 3 inside with another mounted on the horizontal stabilizer on a standard sticky mount. (She had several already on the plane) The editing as done with Apple IMovie.

https://vimeo.com/147197697

Have Fun!

Ram Mount for GoPro..

Hello,
NFlight is great for all mounts. In addition, I purchased a ball/joint mount for interior use of my GoPro's. They give me the ability to mount and point my cameras in any direction. They can be found at RamMount.com, hope this helps.

FMI68

Modify the plastic GoPro mounts

I use the stock GoPro mounts but modify them. Don't expose the sticky pad then drill and countersink a hole in the mount that will accept the screws that hold on the wing tips. Use one of the existing wing tip screws to hold on the mount. Snap in your camera, done.

I have 3 GoPros for the RV-12, and use them frequently but find them very frustrating. Often they will not read the SD card, navigating through the menu is difficult and on several occasions I've had them stop recording and turn themselves off for no apparent reason.

I'm going to give the Garmin VIRB XE a shot.

I have 3 GoPros for the RV-12, and use them frequently but find them very frustrating. Often they will not read the SD card, navigating through the menu is difficult and on several occasions I've had them stop recording and turn themselves off for no apparent reason.

I'm going to give the Garmin VIRB XE a shot.

Which model are your 3 GoPro's? If one or more are Hero5's I wonder if you are getting problems due to the voice control in a noisy cockpit.

2 Hero 3s in the cabin and a Hero on the tail. I'm fairly tech savvy guy, the GoPro just doesn't have a good user interface in my opinion.

How to get good radio and intercomm sounds?

Is there any way to feed the signal from a headphone jack, to a 1/8 plug and then into a GoPro microphone input in such a way as to record good quality sound along with the video?

Does the signal need to be adjusted?

Is there a better way? I'd like to eliminate the engine noise as much as possible.

Thanks!

Back