What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 HS dimensions needed

rcpaul

I'm New Here
I'm a newbie and headed down to RV Central next week to get some instruction from Jay Pratt on my RV-8 empennage kit. I don't have the preview plans yet, so am just wondering what the dimensions are of a completed HS to see if it will fit in my mid-size SUV to bring back home. Thanks!

RV-8 HS dimensions

Found this searching VAF, from Rick6a,

"I just measured my -8 horizontal sitting on saw horses in the basement. The widest location I could determine with the tips installed came in at 106-3/4". Without the tips, it seems to be 102-5/8".

where there is a will...

Good call Rick - Jay is a good source for learning how to quickly complete your kit. He will get you going in the right direction and give you the confidence to go home and start making more airplane parts.

I measured my HS sitting without the fiberglass tip on it and it is :

98 1/2" wide by 22 1/2" long at the thickest/middle part of the HS and it is 3 3/8" thick at the thickest/inner part of the of the spar/airfoil.

You only asked about the HS - but the elevators are a little odd shaped with the counterweight extending out front on the outer ends and then the fattest part is in the inner part so if you were to build both the HS and the elevators, you would do better to take them home separated.

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for all the responses. It will be close, but I think I will be able to squeeze the HS into the vehicle. I'm looking forward to working with Jay. I started a 7A empennage 14 years ago, but moved to a condo with no garage, and I didn't get very far due to lack of knowledge/experience. i want to do it right this time. Thanks.

Back