What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assisted build your own engine?

ERushing

Well Known Member
A buddy recently told me that "back in the day" there was an engine shop that would help you build your own engine in their shop. Basically, for ~$1000 or so extra, you could utilize their facility and tools over the course of a long weekend or so and they would hand-hold you through your engine build.

Does such a thing exist? For an IO-540? I have never done anything more than change my oil & filter and would love a hands-on education. I'd definitely feel more comfortable with ongoing maintenance, etc...

Thanks!

Mattituck used to do that. Heck, they would even let a bunch of people in their shop to watch a build.

However, Continental bought them and moved the operations. While they are still in business, you don't hear much about them any more.

I think Lycoming might even let you help assemble your engine.

If you can find an IO-540 in need of an overhaul, buy it, and find a local mechanic (or your local EAA chapter) to help you disassemble it, send the parts out for inspection, and finally reassemble it.

That would be a great learning experience for everyone.

Last edited:
Superior Air Parts in Coppell, Texas has that program with their XP engines. Sorry, no IO-540 though. The largest they sell is a 215 HP IO-400

Keep in mind this was a while back, but I saw a sign in a motorcycle shop.

$7/hr for us to repair your motorcycle
$12/hr if you watch
$20/hr if you help

I think the principle still applies.

Why not just to go Lycoming school and have at it at home?

Keep in mind this was a while back, but I saw a sign in a motorcycle shop.

$7/hr for us to repair your motorcycle
$12/hr if you watch
$20/hr if you help

I think the principle still applies.

Why not just to go Lycoming school and have at it at home?

The sign I saw had an additional line:

$50/hr if you have already done the repair.

A buddy recently told me that "back in the day" there was an engine shop that would help you build your own engine in their shop. Basically, for ~$1000 or so extra, you could utilize their facility and tools over the course of a long weekend or so and they would hand-hold you through your engine build.

Does such a thing exist? For an IO-540? I have never done anything more than change my oil & filter and would love a hands-on education. I'd definitely feel more comfortable with ongoing maintenance, etc...

Thanks!

Look for a local A&P or IA to assist with a rebuild. Your biggest challenge will be finding a good -540 core. Most of the ones I see are higher time than I'm comfortable with and/or have cranks that have been turned multiple times, meaning they may not be recertifiable the next time (or two) around.

These are simple engines and require few specialized tools. However, making sure you have a good quality rebuild goes much further than just assembling something. The better shops measure all of the new (or rebuilt) parts to verify the listed dimensions, then go into assembly mode.

IMO, this would make a VERY good workshop at Oshkosh if you could find a clean enough space.

It would be a bit of a trek from Washington, but if there was any reason to be on the east coast, you might look into the Lycoming schools (piston engine & disassembly / assembly). Takes the better part of two weeks, but it is VERY good, and just what you need if faced with doing your own engine.

Dan

I did it

This is exactly what I did on my IO-360. I had not trouble finding someone to help me put a Lycoming together, but after much searching I finally found someone who had put together many, many engines. He performed all the critical steps himself, knew what to measure, all the relevant ADs, and had a few techniques that he head picked up over the years to ensure reliable operation. Lapping the mounting area for the oil pump is one operation that comes to mind, as is a technique for getting extra oil to the camshaft.

I was able to build the rest of it in his shop, and in the end he'd only take $400-500 ( I forget which). I haven't flown yet, but feel confidant in what's in my engine. I learned an incredible amount as I sent each part out for overhaul, and talked to each of the shops. I found it to be a great experience.

Good luck,

David

It would be a bit of a trek from Washington, but if there was any reason to be on the east coast, you might look into the Lycoming schools (piston engine & disassembly / assembly). Takes the better part of two weeks, but it is VERY good, and just what you need if faced with doing your own engine.

Dan

I'm signed up for this school in February, and will be writing it up for the magazine - very much looking forwad to t, even though I have been wrenching on Lycomings for most of my life. Nothing like getting the formal background from the company that designed the thing!

With travel and school fees, it might seem expensive - but when you compare it to the price of an engine, it will fade into the overall expenses of the airplane, and hardly be noticed.

We reported on the Superior school/build expereince a couple of years back, and it is excellent - but like has been said, unfortunately for the OP, they don't do a -540.

We reported on the Superior school/build expereince a couple of years back, and it is excellent - but like has been said, unfortunately for the OP, they don't do a -540.

I would think, if there is enough interest, they might do a 540, no? What is the reason Superior won't go there? It would be great to get this experience as part of the buying experience.

I would think, if there is enough interest, they might do a 540, no? What is the reason Superior won't go there? It would be great to get this experience as part of the buying experience.

If I recall correctly, Lycoming has really hurt the kit engine business by refusing to sell cases/cranks competitively. The engines built at Superior were (I)O-360 offerings using their own cases and cranks, which differed from Lycoming's in several nice ways. When I built my engine there (a truly wonderful experience), I asked about a 540 and was told they did not have one in the works at that time. I assume they had done the market research and could not justify the development cost. Then their parent company drove them to bankruptcy and so I have no idea what their development plans are now that they are back on their feet. The bottom line is that they don't do Lycoming builds nor offer them in their build school as far as I know.

I built my Superior IO360 in the (supervised) shop at Eagle Engines in Redding, CA (in 2008). I don't know whether they are still doing this sort of thing, or with other engines, but might be worth a call. Not too far from you.

Greg

AeroSport Power

I did a builder assist program at AeroSport Power last August. it was great. It takes about 3 days from start to finish. Well worth it IMO. Give them a call.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Back