What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Constant speed prop on IO-320?

JETGLENN

I'm New Here
Guys wanted to know if anyone has run a constant speed prop on a rv4 IO-320 engine?if so what prop and governor? What's the trade off in performance weight cost etc? Thank you in advance. I have seen lots of prop posts have fixed pitch warneke wood. Looking to make change if not constant speed then probably sensenich 3 blade ground adjust composite.

Looks like you are new to the forum. Welcome (take that Mike).

Please use the "search" function. This topic has been discussed in detail.

BTW, I did not know that sensenich had a 3 blade ground adjust composite prop. I have only seen the 2 blade version. I thought the 3 bladed version was for smaller horse power engines or air boats.

Guys wanted to know if anyone has run a constant speed prop on a rv4 IO-320 engine?if so what prop and governor? What's the trade off in performance weight cost etc? Thank you in advance. I have seen lots of prop posts have fixed pitch warneke wood. Looking to make change if not constant speed then probably sensenich 3 blade ground adjust composite.

I am of the school of keeping it light and simple.

As a reference point I had a RV-4 with an O-360 and Warnke prop. I drag raced a -4 with the same engine but with a Hartzell CS. He had better acceleration and climb but it was not spectacular. Top speed was very close.

I talked to the Sensenich people at OSH this year about their 2-blade GA composite for my -8. I was impressed with its lightness it but it retails over $4K. It may be easier to "dial" it in as opposed to a wood prop that might have to be reworked to obtain 2700 rpm at max speed.

Performance Propellers makes a knock off of the Warnke prop.

Guys wanted to know if anyone has run a constant speed prop on a rv4 IO-320 engine?

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=594938&postcount=1

DSCF3193.jpg

Last edited:
Tsam has one seat, but if I remember correctly the propeller was originally installed on an RV-4. I'm pretty sure that propeller was equally effective on both airframes.

Have flown in several RV-4s with O-320 Hartzell constant speed props. Great performing aircraft. The (I)O-360 with Hartzell performs better but you said 150 / 160 HP engine. The constant speed 320 RV-4 will really push you back in your seat when you accelerate or push you into the belts if you pull back on the throttle.

As with all constant speed props, they are a compromise but give you more performance than the fixed pitch props. The fixed pitch prop is optimized for one airspeed and will out perform the CS prop at that one airspeed. The CS prop will out perform the fixed pitch prop at every airspeed except the one where the fixed pitch is optimized.

Prop him up...

Looks like you are new to the forum. Welcome (take that Mike).

Please use the "search" function. This topic has been discussed in detail.

BTW, I did not know that sensenich had a 3 blade ground adjust composite prop. I have only seen the 2 blade version. I thought the 3 bladed version was for smaller horse power engines or air boats.

Well said Axel!
Hmmm, age old discussion topic, again! The F16 Fighter Weapons School Instructor answer? "It depends" To answer "JG's" question: The Hartzell HC2YL-18BF7663-4 Woodward or Rostfrei governor $7400 new from Van's around $5400 used/rebuilt from Western Propeller. Better call is the Whirlwind although more expensive. My 2 cents?
Don't add weight, cost and complexity to a weight sensitive, simple design that originally had a 150HP and wood prop. My answer after 25 years, two RV's and an HR2?
Keep it light, cheap and fun.

BTW, My Catto prop 935lb RV4 could hang in all departments, takeoff, climb cruise and STOL landings with any CS RV4 and has a lighter nose for better acro and 1V1. And. it's cheaper.
Or to quote Van, Fly more, fix less.

My Dos Centavos...
BTW, congrats on the FB4!

V/R
Smokey
PS: Maybe DR should add a Top 10 list for "most same asked questions" about RV's for guys who didn't build one. Or better: how to search the thread for subjects previously discussed (or overly so)
Hmmm...

Last edited:
Back