What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How best to enter / exit RV-8 rear cockpit?

Gash

Well Known Member
I tried doing a search for this, but came up empty handed. Apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously...

I have had 3 passengers in the back seat of my RV-8 so far. All of them have had difficulty getting in and out, perhaps because they are unwilling to step on my nice seats :) I would like to come up with some standard instructions to help passengers. I am wondering what works best for others, and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am quite certain I could not get in and out of my buddies RV-8 without stepping on the seat.

To 100% expect them not to step on the seat is inviting damage and/or injury. Some will manage it with practice, but a wipe of the seat is easier than repairing the canopy or passenger :eek:

What I say is:
  1. From standing on Left Wing
  2. Left Hand grip under the roll bar, emphasise not holding on to the "lip" over the roll bar (don't want that broken)
  3. Right foot to right side floor just in front of seat (which we have non-slip patch on so easy to identify)
  4. Weight now via Left hand to get Left foot to left floor
  5. Lower yourself onto seat
  6. Exit opposite way round
Somebody bought 2 handles for the roll bar, and intended to use only 1, so I have the other and still intend to fit to the roll bar, largely for the rear seat access.

If you over-emphasise not stepping on rear seat, as the passenger loses balance they will grab the canopy which is not desirable. I also briefed an RAF VSO* on getting in. As VSOs are inclined to do, he did not listen and ended up in the rear seat, but with his left leg still outside the aircraft. My offer to get a camera would have been career limiting, except I left the RAF 10 years before :D

* VSO = Very Senior Officer

Man you are right about this one. I have gray sheepskin seats in my -8 and even after I tell them to step on the seat cushion they will go through all kinds of nasty gyrations to avoid it.
I recall another RV driver saying they used a towel that can be thrown on the seat. I might do that just to make folks feel better about stepping on it.

towl

I have a towl with a slit in it to go around the croch strap buckle, I just leave it there all the time.

Tell them where it's OK

Even in the side-by-sides, there's really no way to get in without stepping on the seat. So I tell them that up front.

Easier to clean the seat that repair the windscreen fiberglass that the tend to want to grab. Passengers will naturally grab handles, if they're there. Might as well go ahead and label a few things "Grab Here / Step Here."

That works better than "No Step / Do Not Touch" placards.

Adding a rollover hoop to the center crossbar has become more or less standard with the Showplanes tip-over canopy. There's no reason you couldn't add one to a slider, although it might need to be a little less tall.

Here's the thing....it is a huge, solid handhold for rear seat passengers to use getting in and out. They can reach forward above their head to pull themselves up out of the seat, stand on the seat as necessary, step out to the wing walk, and down to the ground all while feeling secure and balanced.

This is my Mom, age 77; really bad knees, no balance, and the usual fear of falling......

20r2y68.jpg

......here declaring "I'll do it, leave me alone"

2w5m0q8.jpg

'Nuff said.

I have a small piece of matching carpet on the seat and tell the passengers they can remove it after they get in. None seem to do so, so it's become somewhat permanent.

Just have them step squarely in the middle of the seat with both feet. Any other gyrations *will* result in someone loosing their balance and grabbing something they shouldn't. Or worse, falling completely out of the plane. I've never used anything to protect the seat cushions, and in 12 years and 1550+ hrs and one washing, I honestly can't see any wear or discoloration.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. Thanks Dan for taking the time to upload those pics too! I see that stepping on the seat is necessary, and providing some type of handhold is a good idea.

My dad has been flying since 1966, and just a couple of weeks ago was in the back of my 8. I must have told him 3 times each to step on the seat, and not to hold the canopy.

Any guesses what he listened to?

I think the towel is a good idea!

Rear Cockpit Entry Handles

Anyone have a design for some "Help" Handles for getting in and out of a standard RV-8...................

I have looked at that too.

Andy, I thought about those holds myself (I have one on the front bar to help me to get in and out) but I was very concerned about putting one on the rear bar as it could be a serious problem for the rear passenger if we had an accident. I know the bar is there anyway, but it moves the point of contact closer to the passengers? forehead buy about 3 inches.

I really like the extension that Dan showed in his photos. That with a "hold here" painted on it looks ideal. I would like to know all of the details about that as a modification.

Jim

Getting Into The Rear Seat

Here's what I say to friends I take flying in the back of my RV-8: Hold onto the frame between the seats, and step right on the rear seat, no problem. Things not to touch - the canopy or the canopy latch, which looks a lot like a handle. What I do is wrap my hand around the canopy latch so they cannot touch it. Then with both feet on the seat, I tell them to place their feet on the flat part of the floor and slide their backside slowly down the back cushion. Then they can put their feet in the footwells. Use the reverse sequence to leave the seat, once again holding the canopy latch with my hand (ask me how I know to do this!). It is pretty easy for someone to inch their way up the seat back cushion until they can stand. I have flown some size large folks, and they do quite well with this sequence. As for getting the seat dirty, the key is to take a little care that their shoes are clean, even if you have to use the towel for a quick swipe as they are getting in.

I do exactly the same as Terry with a black non-slip holed mat on the seat

Non-Slip-Matt-Black-and-Yellow-AA-Shop.gif

and like Andy I have black anti-slip on the floor so my brief is "step on the black" (wing walk>seat mat>floor).

Hah! Thanks Allan. Next thing we know you'll be recommending that we land "rubber side down" right?

Back