What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small child in the backseat of -8 or -4

Shotgun

I have seen some posts of guys taking up their young (4-6) kids in side by side RV's but not in the tandem models. My 4 year old wants me to take her flying for her 5th birthday and I am wondering if this is a safe/smart idea. Some of my concerns would be her getting sick without me being able to help and the straps not fitting properly. I could put in a booster seat to solve one of those. I would love to hear for anyone that has taken a youngster in the backseat...

No Way to Deal with Any Issues

I've never taken a small child in the back of my -8. There is absolutely no way to deal with any of the multitude of issues (not just air sickness) that could arise. In my opinion, minimum age is at least double what you are talking about because they are on their own from the time of take off to landing. Others may disagree so this will be my last post on the topic.

2.5 years

My boy has been riding with Mom in the back of the -4 since he was brand new, now he has been riding back there on his own since he was two or so. He where?s Peltor child ear muffs, the rear stick is removed, and he sits on a booster seat from Wal-Mart, we have only had one problem, he partly removed his headset, I reached back and corrected the problem, we don?t eat or drink in the airplane so there is no choking etc. The boy has a great time and so do I, everybody loves seeing him, it?s been completely positive. 5 years old,,, my boy will probably be flying the airplane buy then, she wants to go so have fun with your daughter and your airplane.

I have done it with my kids, started with them in the champ or cherokee when they were 3, and in the RV8 at 5 and 7(after phase 1)

Start with small trips, to see how they handle it. Work your way up, at their comfort level.

If they can't sit in a carseat for fifteen minutes or more without your help, better wait longer.

edit--Dean Pichon is right about the intercom--I have used the isolate switch on just about every trip with the kids.

Last edited:
My experience...

I regularly fly with my 6-year-old twins (one at a time, of course) in my -4. I pulled out the rear stick and use a booster seat (for a car) so they can see over the coaming.

Once they turned 5, I flew with them several times in a 4 place (Navion) to make sure they were comfortable. It is important that they can use a headset. It is key to be able to isolate kids on the intercom as kids (m kids, at least) tend to talk non-stop.

I never offered them a ride. I waited until they asked. Last weekend one of the twins asked me to put the stick back in so he could fly. (I didn't) When we were airborne he asked me if I could do any "tricks". Now he loves aileron rolls and zero-G pushovers.

Short flights are key (no more than 30 minutes) and a fun destination helps -fly-in breakfasts seem to be big attractions for my guys.

Good luck,

Dean
Bolton, MA

3 yrs

I've been flying the -4 w/ my son since he was 3. His first flight was on my lap in a friends 182. That went well so we tried the RV w/ a kids head set and a booster seat. He loves it! Our longest flight was a little over an hour - he passed out after about 20 minutes and didn't wake up until I put the plane in the hanger (a rare smooth landing). My 2 1/2 year old twin girls will be next and we'll do it the same way. Hmm, may need to start working on a -10 ;)

I might give it a try

Thanks for the info. I think I will let her practice wearing the headsets, remove the stick and use a booster. Maybe I'll take her for a ten minute flight and eat at the restaurant on the field to make it a fun experience. Thanks again for the inputs

Back