What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weekend IFR Ground School

RFazio

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried one of the weekend IFR ground schools? I was thinking of trying one that is comng to my area next month. I don't know if they are worth the $400.00 or so. They say you'll pass the written after the course. I want to get my IFR rating and have an instructor friend that will instruct in my RV-6. Thoughts?

Yup!

I did them for my IFR, ATP and FE written.

The reason i did them that way is it is a greta time saver. You don't have to pick up a book prior to it and just go to the class, cram like crazy with these usually great ground school instructors and come out with a high test score.

and yes, you can't help but learning something too...but by the time you go to the class you should already have the basic knowledge.

Good Luck!

Good for the "Final Polish"

The weekend "finish up" programs for the written exam are good and I have used them for that purpose ----- but, I always encourage (insist) that my students do the appropriate self-study first -- using the FAA-supplied textbook material and the practical excercises in the aircraft. There is no way that the weekend cram courses (alone) will fully equip you to successfully complete the oral part of the checkride.

Yep - used it for the IFR written. Good course. Of course they teach the test, but it gets you a good grade. Since college, (with kids, job, house tasks, etc) I've found it hard to sit down and study for anything. Some people do - I do not.

OK - I didn't do it very well in college either, but I managed.;)

What are the names of these courses? I am interested and for $400 seems like a good deal given the reviews given so far.

Jae

Many years ago did the weekend course through Flyers, very intense but worth it.

Jae, American Flyers is one, there are others. Look at the ads in AOPAs magazine. They do what they say; this is a cram course to pass the test. Some will let you re-take the class for free if you don't pass. As others have said, you will need additional studying to remember this stuff and to pass the oral.

Yes American Flyers course was worth every penny

The course was steady and covered the material I don't recall any outside the classroom reading but it was a long time ago, if they said to do it I would have done it. Completing it and passing the test at the end of the course was like a guaranteed fast elimination of one of the steps in getting the rating and it was serious education on the basics as well.

Bob Axsom

I used aviation seminars a few years ago for my private, and it was very good. A couple friends did the same just last year, and both came thru good.

I think it is a great tool, and helps to point out areas where you need work.

Back