What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance dual req

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Recently got a quote from Chartis via Falcon for ins for my soon to be RV 7. Chartis is wanting 20 hrs dual in type. Does this seem high?...I was thinking it did, but wanted to check with others first before I sought out additional quotes.

I am low time, which is probably why. 120 tt, 7 tailwheel.

I don't know but 20 hours dual tailwheel only puts you at 27 hours taildragger time. Better start getting the time.

When I bought my 6 last year I had 3 hours of tail wheel time. The insurance requirement was for 10 hours dual. I had about 480 hours total at that time, with commercial and instrument ratings.

5 Hrs

Chartis (through NationAir) is only requiring me to have 5 hrs dual total ( I already have 3.4). However, I have nearly 60 hours of tail wheel time - so maybe that is the difference?

(edit: Now that I think about it, I seem to recall having an original quote several years ago that specified 20 hours of dual - but I had little to no tail wheel time then).

Last edited:
Recently got a quote from Chartis via Falcon for ins for my soon to be RV 7. Chartis is wanting 20 hrs dual in type. Does this seem high?...I was thinking it did, but wanted to check with others first before I sought out additional quotes.

I am low time, which is probably why. 120 tt, 7 tailwheel.

That's about what I was required to do. I was low tail wheel, with over 500 total hours then, SEL/MEL inst rating. Seemed excessive, but I needed it.

I only had to do 5 hours dual, even though it was close to 25 years since I had flown a nose dragger.

The time requirement depends on your experience. So requiring 20 hours of dual doesn't surprise me.

In my case they only wanted me to get three hours in any tailwheel RV. Dual wasn't required. Granted, that was five years ago and I had time in a bunch of different TW aircraft.

The time was flown off in the right seat of a trusting friend's RV-6.

There is a good reason the insurance rates for TW aircraft are what they are. It took me about 100 hours until I truly felt comfortable flying TW aircraft and about 100 hours in the RV until I felt like I really knew the aircraft.

OK..so based on what I am hearing my 20 hr req isn't excessive...and will only a low time pic like me..thanks

My insurance company wants 10 hours make and model... I have 4600+ hours but only 6 in tail wheel.

My comment was that 20 landings would be much, much better than 10 hours. Usually, time in a particular aircraft allows the prospective pilot to gain knowledge of the handling and operating characteristic of the craft. I don't think operating experience and understanding the "systems" is needed in an airplane you build. I suppose it's possible to fly 10 hours and only get two or three take offs and landings in.

Many landings, though... that's another story.

Don

OK..so based on what I am hearing my 20 hr req isn't excessive...and will only a low time pic like me..thanks

You will need all of that 20hrs to get mildly proficient in the airplane. I'm curious, are you planning to get your 20hrs in another airplane and do the initial test flight on your airplane or have an experienced RV pilot do the flight test? Don

I had to have 10 in make/model. I had 0 TW time so I used the requirement as an opportunity to get my TW endorsement and transition training in a RV6.

Killed 3 birds with one stone.

1. Dual requirement
2. TW endorsement
3. Transition training

I completed all the above with Jan Bussell in Florida. Highly recommended!

This was with Chartis my first year.

Last edited:
Don, I intend to complete in t/w in a c/140 then dual 20 hrs in an rv6. then do my first flight in my plane.

I'm curious, are you planning to get your 20hrs in another airplane and do the initial test flight on your airplane or have an experienced RV pilot do the flight test? Don

Ryan, you can do as you wish but my first impression after reading your last post is that you may be marginally qualified (or not qualified) to do the first flight and thus could be another statistic.

I strongly suggest that you find an experienced RV taildragger pilot to perform the initial flights.

Last edited:
understood Ron, and I haven't ruled that out. I guess I will reevaluate after I have 20 hrs dual and see how I progress at the point.

I guess I will reevaluate after I have 20 hrs dual and see how I progress at the point.

That's what I'd do. Everybody is different, and advice from a stranger on a forum is worth what you paid for it.

Other quotes?

Ryan,

You need to make Falcon show you what the quotes from the 4 other insurance companies look like.

Chartis
Global Aerospace
US Specialty
Britt Paulk
Starr Aviation

You're paying Falcon $300-$400 to represent you. Make sure your'e getting all the quotes available. Or fire them and find someone who will.

Some of these quotes may well be a decline due to your time. But I'd want to know that for sure.

I'll just add to the list of experiences. Last year I bought an already flying RV-4. I had about 15-20hrs of tailwheel experience 120hrs total. Working with NationAir (Shanna Linton specifically) she got the underwriter to agree to sufficient training with an approved instructor in an RV taildragger. I went to Kent Gorton in Locust Grove, GA. I had Kent send his credentials to the insurance company and they basically said, go take his training and when he says you're good to go, your good to go. Also, they allowed me to do my training in an RV-6 since true dual control RV-4s are hard to find. Kent's training was superb and he "signed me off" in 4 hours. I feel completely safe landing my 4 now. Can't say enough about Kent and Shanna.

after further inquiry, Falcon said that Starr offered 10 hrs dual, with about 250.00 more premium.

Falcon not doing what we pay them for?

after further inquiry, Falcon said that Starr offered 10 hrs dual, with about 250.00 more premium.

It seems to me that Falcon tends to give you a single quote unless you request (force) them to give you others. They are a large call center-type brokerage house that depend on high volume placements. They take your call, give you the easiest quote, and you take it or leave it and they move on to the 20 other calls on hold.

Not the best way to buy insurance. Maybe need to look at brokers that spend a little more time finding the best package for you.

Call Starr directly.

Can't. Like Chartis, Global, and the others they are an underwriting company that is acessed through a network of brokers. Any broker can give you their quote... if they want to. Or if you ask them to.

Can't. Like Chartis, Global, and the others they are an underwriting company that is acessed through a network of brokers. Any broker can give you their quote... if they want to. Or if you ask them to.

Ack:eek: My bad, I meant to say call Sky Smith.

Gettin old, memory isnt what it used to be. Yep, that is my excuse:rolleyes:

Maybe a call to Mr. Rhodes would be a good move? He seems to be very helpful/knowedgeable when it comes to insurance:)

Back