What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting a Flap Position Sensor in an RV-8

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Just in case there's anyone else out there contemplating this, here's how I did it. I also mounted a flaps up-limit switch so that the flap motor will automatically shut off when the flaps reach the up position. I like to use the kind of switch that locks up for raising the flaps. But you really should have a way for the flap motor to shut off if you're going to do this lest you forget it and burn it up! This makes touch-and-goes and missed approaches so much easier and safer--just flip the switch up and forget about flaps. I just rough installed everything to calibrate the throw of the POS-12 sensor, so still need to prime and tidy up the wiring, etc.

The ball link and threaded rod are just some RC model stuff I had lying around. The top end of the sensor is set up as a hinge so that it can move with the motion of the link. The two small pieces of angle are drilled, tapped and screwed to the flap actuator arm. Here's the flaps down position:

And here's the flaps up view:

This airplane has the flap switch in the grip, so the switch is spring-loaded down and locks up. The up-limit switch (above) is adjustable so that the flap motor shuts off just as the flaps reach full up.

Last edited:
Thx for posting pictures, I'm looking at doing a setup very similar to get read back to my Dynon D180.

Back