What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Console?

comfortcat

Well Known Member
Has anyone put a center console in their RV-9?
I see Aircraft Extras has one, and it is advertised as being strong enough to assist with entry/exit of the plane.

Does it take too much room?

Thoughts? Pictures?

advTHANKSance

CC :cool:

similar models?

Dave, I think it would be safe to poll the 6-7-9 community, if not identical they must be pretty close in width.
I'd love a console, especially to hang a throttle quadrant, but even with 17" wide hips, add the 'mature' pilot thigh pudge, and I really dont' want to give up another couple inches! :rolleyes:
There is a skinny version that holds a fire extinguisher, and serves as an armrest, but I'm not sure you'd want to stand on it. It may be plenty strong, but the side load or someone actually pushing-off of it might be too much.
I think a custom shape, rather than the typical box, might work.....almost nothing at the hip, flaring to a low, wider shape forward, much like some little cars.
Hope to see some good pics and ideas here!!! :)

....or check out this thread....

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=32220

Last edited:
Console

If you install a console make it easily removable. Getting under the panel is tough enough already.

Don B
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

If you ever need to crawl under your panel, and trust me, you WILL, you will curse a console. It's cramped enough under there already.

BTW, the -6, -7, and the -9 fuselages are all the same width.

Three piece panel

Yup!

I have a three piece panel that is removable. I'm kinda big to be trying to crawl around under there.

BUT

I think the "removable" advice is a good idea.

Dkb

I'm nowhere near to that point in the build, but I am planning on designing some sort of two-section console, combining the Bonehead Composites RV-7 throttle quadrant area with a modified version of a slimmer "map box console" based on designs from another builder - more so just because I like to have a spot to rest my boney right arm during flight. :D I'm hoping to get the design where the forward throttle area comes back just to the fuel selector, leaving the space at knee level between it and the map box console open. I'll know more once I get to that point of the build in a few months, and can really sit down to draw it up.

I built the same "airplane extras" console during a lull in the build just in case. I don't even have the fuse in the shop yet, so I cannot give you advice on the fit.

I do like the design, and it is pretty "removable" or at least could be moved to the side as designed. Fairly light and well thought out.

I will have to report back in a while when I finally attempt to fit it and then decide.

I can tell you, I am trying to lose some of my girth before then to help the decision.

Yup!
I have a three piece panel that is removable. I'm kinda big to be trying to crawl around under there.
BUT
I think the "removable" advice is a good idea.
Dkb

Just remember, the panel is not the only reason to have to crawl under it. There are also rudder pedals, brake pedals, master cylinders, and various maintenance items down there.

I am in the process of installing the Aircraft Extra's center console into my 9A. I also have the affordable panels standard slider panel. If you look at the link below you can see the pictures of my initial install process. It's not very wide (3") and feels pretty comfortable so far. Obviously I havent flown it but I have sat with it installed.

http://www.darinanderson.com/2014/03/deja-vu.html

here's a skinny one????

Okay, this one may not be complete, but it looks only 2" wide, and could have almost NO structure below where you need the most pudge margins!
consolerv7_zps188a9f83.jpg

perhaps it's just an armrest...but for sure, someone will try to step on it! :rolleyes:

my version in carbon fiber

This photo shows my center console as I fabricated and installed in my 7, with the photo showing the close fit of the fully deflected stick against my fat thigh. The console is 2 inches wide.

24ywhp5.jpg

Carbon-Fiber Center Console

Steve,

Wow - the width, design and construction of your carbon-fiber console look perfect!

Do you work with composites for a living?

How easily can it be removed for additional access (when necessary)?

How difficult is something like that to make for someone with basic -very basic - fiberglassing skills?

Thanks for any help/advice that you can offer!

Cover with fake carbon fiber vinyl

First Steve, your center piece looks great. Beautiful workmanship.

As an alternative to us who don't work with carbon fiber, just make it out of aluminum or even 1/4" plywood, then cover it with leather or fabric on the sides and that vinyl that looks like carbon fiber on the top.

I made a mock up out of plywood to see if I liked it. I spent all of about 10 minutes on it as you will see. My thought was it would give me a place to push on when I was getting in or out. I am still undecided. It is only long enough to rest my arm on it. This is an old picture showing the size.

The shape is comfortable on my arm and it still allows easy access to the floor area. I am leaning on leaving it out because it doesn't really help getting in or out that much.

mockup_zps17639be2.jpg

Thank you Jim for your kind words. Everything I know about composite layup I learned either here from Dan Horton's postings and from Wally Anderson's class. I certainly don't do composites for a living!

console

I built the console but never installed it. It looks great but I am a big guy and I decided I :cool:needed the extra room and wanted the ability to stretch by legs in a long flight.

I think it all depends on your size.:cool:

I have seen some very nice looking consoles that make the cockpit form fitting, and as one who has built a form-fitting RV-3 cockpit, I understand the desire completely! BTW, I also agree that carbon-fiber one a few posts back is gorgeous.

I have found, however, that in addition to the maintenance access considerations (I used to own a Yankee with a center console, and rudder pedal maintenance was almost impossible with the console), if you plan on long-distance cross-countries, it is sure nice to be able to stretch your legs around. Yesterday I flew almost eight hours into headwinds from east Texas to SOCAL in our -6, and spent a lot of my time with my legs draped diagonally across the cockpit in order to keep from getting sore or cramped up.

One thing you might try that could sound silly - but is worth it if you plan to keep and fly your airplane for years, is to spend a day sitting in the cockpit in the workshop. Set up a TV with some movies, have some drink bottles handy (and maybe something to catch the "discharge"), have your computer handy and study for something....back in my NASA days, we did this all the time - "all up simulations".

You'll have the airplane a long time - it's worth the effort to know how comfortable it will be for YOU.

Back