What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 down (FL), occupants are OK (2/23/14)

rv4bill

Well Known Member
Both occupants are OK

Just saw local news clip that an rv9 out of Sanford landed 16 miles short of Sanford airport on their way back from marsh harbor Bahamas. New clip showed it upside down. So glad to hear they got out.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. This plane was built and piloted by his Aunt's long-time boyfriend. According to him, they lost the engine and picked two other landing spots that didn't pan out before landing in the field. The plane flipped on impact. Both pilot and passenger are in the hospital but will be ok. It is my understanding the aircraft had an auto-conversion engine, but I do not know which one.

...It is my understanding the aircraft had an auto-conversion engine, but I do not know which one.

From this page, I would safely guess it's an "E" engine.

P.S. I just looked at the linked page in Brian's post, and I'd say we know what kind of auto conversion engine it is.

Last edited:
Good job aviating during an emergency

Glad to hear they are OK!!! I met V. C. recently at Venice beach. He introduced himself because he saw my Sanford airport badge. Real nice guy! Told me about his beautiful RV and that it took him 10 years to build. I remember him specifically telling me he had a Subaru engine on it. Like the rest of us, we are interested in what happened (if the engine quit as was mentioned earlier). Sounds like he flew the airplane and did not lose control. Go VC! Good job.

accident

I'm glad they are ok.
I am not glad the reporter stated the airplane landed upside down.
Came to rest maybe?

Landing upside down?

Wow! If he landed upside down to save the wheel pants, he is a GREAT pilot!

Hope all is better soon.

Dkb

I'm glad they are ok.
I am not glad the reporter stated the airplane landed upside down.
Came to rest maybe?

Glad both are okay. All things considered, it could have been much worse. Link worked for me.

Glad they are (mostly) OK, but now I am thinking I'm really going to have to build one of those E-engine setups for my airplane - they are FAST!!

“The only problem (is the plane) was approximately 12 miles from the end of the runway, which is maybe another three minutes, (and) we would have been on the ground,” he said.

12 miles in 3 minutes is 240 knots, not too shabby! :D

These people are very fortunate, drenched in fuel, trapped in an inverted aircraft and no source of ignition. What a deal.

Someone was watching over them.

Glad no one was hurt

I'm also glad no one was hurt,The photo I saw looked like he had an Anti-splat brace with a sheared leg attachment bolt.I don't know if anything could have saved them from the flip given the terrain.The 4cyl Egg has duel electric pumps,complex fuel feed and return lines as well as vents,pumping Mo gas.Yes this could have been very ugly.There are a lot of questions,I loved to hear from the pilot as to how he landed upside down.
RHill

I'm also glad no one was hurt,The photo I saw looked like he had an Anti-splat brace with a sheared leg attachment bolt.I don't know if anything could have saved them from the flip given the terrain..
RHill

Maybe not having something to prevent you nosewheel from collapsing?
With those high weeds, probably going over regardless.

Just wondering

Glad everyone is OK. To me this is an incredibly scary situation and I was wondering what should a person do if your plane flips over and you are trapped inside with fuel running everywhere. Do you flip the master switch to off, or should you not touch any switches and sit there and pray while waiting for assistance.

Last edited:
ideally you should shut off the master switch....

..(as well as the fuel) as you unlatch the canopy on short final, BEFORE ground contact and flipping over. hope I can remember all that if i ever need to...

Glad everyone is OK. To me this is an incredibly scary situation and I was wondering what should a person do if your plane flips over and you are trapped inside with fuel running everywhere. Do you flip the master switch to off, or should you not touch any switches and sit there and pray while waiting for assistance.

Proper procedure is "fuel OFF, ignition OFF, master OFF .. Door open /canopy unlatched..... Before you hit the ground.. IMHO..

?The only problem (is the plane) was approximately 12 miles from the end of the runway, which is maybe another three minutes, (and) we would have been on the ground,? he said.

12 miles in 3 minutes is 240 knots, not too shabby! :D[/QUOTE]

You must work for the FAA. Only they dig that deep.:eek: Trauma leads to rounding numbers in your head. I hope it never happens to you.

RV9A Down Summary from the Pilot

I will try to include photos to let you analyze what happened.

This is VictorC the builder/owner/pilot of N19VC, RV9A with Subaru 2.5L engine that crashed on Sunday Feb 23, 2014 in Mount Plymouth, FL. Route of flight was MYAM (Marsh Harbour, Bahamas) to Orlando-Sanford International Airport (KSFB) in Florida.

Some questions were asked in the forum and I will try to provide short answers. Please don't beat me up if they are not detailed. Believe me, I could write a book.

Summary:
The flight from MYAM to KSFB was a total of three RV's based at SFB on IFR flight plans. The first two RV's were handed over to SFB tower on a 10 mile final to 9L to clear with "SFB Customs".

Someone had a "customs" question. At SFB, 9L/27R is 11,000 feet to handle A300's and B767 flights from places like England and Holland.
Hence, "SFB Customs".

After I leveled off at 3000 ft. and some 12 miles on final to 9L, something in the Prop Speed Unit broke. I have an IVO 3 blade in-flight adjustable prop.

My 'engine out' procedure was performed, 'Backup Batt ON, Backup Fuel Pump ON, Switch to other Fuel Tank" as I declared a Mayday to Orlando approach. My passenger was instructed to "tighten up your shoulder harness hard, we are in trouble".

Approach control issued a 260 heading to the nearest airport 4 miles too far away. I started the turn but saw what appeared to be a "dirt road" in the woods. I lined up with the "road" and started to slow down with full flaps.

On the road there were construction trucks, a crane, and a bull dozer. I was now over the 'road' in ground effect heading towards the construction equipment. I lifted the nose slightly to avoid hitting the Right Wing as I made a very shallow right turn OFF the road and towards a clearing in the woods.

This was Crash Plan "D" and everything was happening very quickly.

Pictures now confirm a very brief three point landing as 'Both mains' and incredibly, the "nose gear" touched down on the soft sandy dirt and the RV9A continued to roll. In answer to a another question. Yes, The airplane was equipped with an ANTI-SPLAT unit on the nose wheel.
Hence, NO flip during first nose gear contact in very rough terrain.

A change in ground elevation OR my bouncing around caused the airplane to rise in the air for a brief moment. During the second landing, The Rt wheel, the Rt wing tip, and Nose gear touched the ground at the same time. There was a very very short rollout then we flipped over as the Nose Gear finally failed into the soft ground.

We were trapped upside down and could "not get out". Twenty minutes later, The sheriff helo found us and he made a very small 10 inche exit hole with his boot at the 'rear' of the slider canopy. I wish I could post the image.

In conclusion: I am not the expert but I do regularly practice emergency scenarios both in the hangar and also while flying in the pattern.

Items for thought and practice:
WE were extremely fortunate that things worked out.
--Practice engine out / power off landings to minimize the 'surprise' if it comes
--Practice end of the runway departure turn around ( figure out YOUR safe altitude for a safe return)
--Practice telling each other to tighten your shoulder harness because a canopy strike will kill you.
--Practice approaches to 'best glide speed' until you are in ground effect on your home runway.

When there is a fatal airplane stall, people tend to say that "he tried to extend the glide, he stalled it and died". When I talk to my friends, there appears to be some confusion of where and how you transition from glide speed/ landing speed to stall speed in an emergency WITH NO POWER.

*Folks love to quote the text books but PLEASE put the info you quote to real world practice.

Again, I am not the expert on this. In MY case we has a No Power descent from 3000 feet. Plan A, B or C "did not work". It could have all gone bad. We got lucky on Plan D.

I apologize if the write up was too long. Hopefully, something I wrote may help you in a similar situation.

I thank you for your kind words. We spent the night at the trauma hospital in Orlando, FL. No broken bones, just Whip Lash.

God Bless and fly safe.

VictorC N19VC

Welcome to VAF!

Victor, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Sorry about the plane, and crash-----------but it is very good of you to help clear up what happened, and maybe help others who could find a nugget of wisdom in your story.

Thank you for your report and glad you are doing well. Went through an emergency as you did I know how difficult it was. With so much uncertainties and so little time it is hard to think straight. More importantly nothing is ideal. So "ideally you should do" goes out of the door. It is how to find the best action you can take at the moment that is most important. Obviously you achieved it otherwise you would not be here to report your experience. So, congratulations for a job well done. Save yourself and not to worry about the airplane. It can be replaced and you can not.

I do agree that we need to think over emergency scenarios and try to practice as much as possible. At end, only keeping cool and not panic will allow you to do what you have practiced.

Thank you for coming here to post. We are all glad that you are here today to tell the story. Well done.

Another thank you ...

First and above all, we are elated you and your passenger escaped with minor injuries. Second we are VERY appreciative of your post. Your experience and resulting advice are like gold to the rest of us. It's incredibly valuable to hear from the person in the left seat after an incident like that. Thanks again, and glad you're OK.

Dissection of prop

Thanks for posting on your wild ride. Glad you and passengers are OK. I am interested in what you found when you dissected the prop speed unit. What broke to give you the engine out, or was the engine running but not producing any thrust?

Godspeed to you as you decide what is next in your flying plans.

Another 9A owner who passes his thanks for your report. Have put a burning Cessna 210 down and a Luscombe with a failed engine. Shoulder harness tight is key. Fly all the way until all motion ceases. The training and forethought mentioned are all excellent. Glad you will continue to fly.

Shoulder harness tight is key.
This has been said twice already but i'd like to make an addition: First tighten your *lap* belt, *then* tighten your shoulder belt. Especially on the RV's that don't have the crotch strap.

Awesome job putting it down in a survivable manner. Phenomenal job in re-evaluating and adjusting "the plan" on the way down, even up to making a change at the last minute to avoid equipment (and possibly persons) on the ground.

9a down

Hi Victor,
I'm glad your and your passenger are alive and well.Thank you for posting,this information is Gold. Great job on a tough situation,"You both walked away,it's a very good landing!" That said, from the photo it looked like the Anti-Splat brace did its job,till the leg attachment bolt sheared.May I ask,did you have any other Anti-Splat mods other then the brace? Wheel bearings? Skid plate? Had you modified the attachment bolt to close tolerance or taper pin? Was this Jan's engine package? What re-drive did you have and what failed? I know this is still painful to talk about but is a huge help for the safety minded who may be faced with this in the future.
Thanks
RHill

Thanks for the post Victor and fine job of getting down with minimal injuries given the options available.

A couple points on the nose gear speculation (from an actual ploughed field forced landing): No matter what mods you've done to the shear bolt or nose leg, a hard landing on soft ground will cause failure of the leg or shear the top bolt anyway. In my case, both, and the leg penetrated the firewall and battery box too. I was lucky that the leg folded under and the bolt sheared, preventing the aircraft from flipping over- food for thought.

Making a runway or hard surface road is a relief after a power loss event but I can assure you, not being able to make such landing spots will give you a sick feeling because you know you are likely to damage your airplane and maybe yourself too, yet few other options remain. You must make the best choice in limited time. I can relate here to Victor's dilemma, what looks like a good choice for a field at 2000 or even 500 feet often doesn't look very good at 200 feet once you can see more detail- rocks, furrows, ditches etc. You just have to ride it out at that point.

Victor---I also want to extend my congrats on a job well done. As a full time passenger ( right now) I often think of the what ifs.
What you did was outstanding.
Tom

Cheers Vic. I'm a hangar neighbor from the other side (south west) at SFB. I immediately recognized you when I saw the news. We met briefly at Venice one day a few months ago. I am VERY happy to hear that both of you made it ok. You had some luck but by the sounds of it, your plan was executed very well. Good to hear from you first hand (Manny O.)

Victor, I arrived at Marsh Harbour the day before you did and departed after you left, so we never ran into each other. I didn't see reports of your ordeal until I got home.

There but for the grace of God go I, and all of us on VAF.

Thanks for taking the time for the report and congratulations on your piloting skills when it mattered most.

You did GOOD!

Thanking God for the blessing that allows you to provide us with a valuable update and report.

May God continue to bless you as you rise to the sky!

RV9A Down Summary from the Pilot

Wow, So happy you are ok.... Thank you for bringing us the facts of what happened.

NASA ASRS report?

Victor C

Thank you for sharing and so glad you are both safe.

Having a plan and then being flexible enough to modify it when it became apparent things weren't working as you had envisioned were keys to your survival. GREAT WORK!

I would encourage you to go to NASA's Aviation Safety Reporting System site {http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/} and fill out the NASA report, ESPECIALLY if you are still within the time frame that provides immunity from punitive FAA action.

Last edited:
? something in the Prop Speed Unit broke. I have an IVO 3 blade in-flight adjustable prop.
Victor - you did a fantastic job flying the aircraft and making a survivable landing. Well done! Congratulations!

It would be very interesting to learn more about the failure of the Prop Speed Unit, once you have had it examined. Did the prop go to a very low or high pitch, such that it could not produce forward thrust? If so, perhaps there is a design or installation issue with the pitch stops. If the prop pitch can change in flight, the prop really should have high and low pitch stops that will prevent the prop from going to a pitch that prevents continued safe flight.

Or, have I misunderstood the nature of the failure?

Victor - you did a fantastic job flying the aircraft and making a survivable landing. Well done! Congratulations!

It would be very interesting to learn more about the failure of the Prop Speed Unit, once you have had it examined. Did the prop go to a very low or high pitch, such that it could not produce forward thrust? If so, perhaps there is a design or installation issue with the pitch stops. If the prop pitch can change in flight, the prop really should have high and low pitch stops that will prevent the prop from going to a pitch that prevents continued safe flight.

Or, have I misunderstood the nature of the failure?

IVO is cockpit controllable electric which twists the outer portion of the blade via an embedded torsion rod. These PSRUs have no provision for hydraulic C/S props so you are stuck with IVO, Quinti, MT electric or FP.

Victor, I am interested to know if this was a Gen 1, 2 or 3 gearbox?

I would encourage you to go to NASA's Aviation Safety Reporting System site {http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/} and fill out the NASA report, ESPECIALLY if you are still within the time frame that provides immunity from punitive FAA action.

I'm curious - what punitive action could there be in an emergency situation such as this?

Zero thrust.

This is not a first, for an Egg PSRU to fail. I gave an RV-8 owner a BFR several years ago, who also suffered a gearbox failure with the resultant loss of thrust. Fortunately, he made it to a nearby airport.

Another friend removed an Egg package and drained the gearbox oil "just to see." Within days, the metal had settled in the jar....also a Gen III gearbox.

Best,

Back