What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello RV world.

Thatnewkid

I'm New Here
I am new to the aviation world and recently began my flight training. I am the hands on kind of guy and have began research to begin my own build. I am interested in the RV-7 and hope to start my build next fall. Just introducing myself and saying hey to everyone.

Welcome to VAF!

From an old fireman to a new one--------------

William, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Welcome! You're in the right place. I was in exactly the same situation as you two years ago.

Good luck with your training!

my experience

I started flight training three and a half years ago and building shortly afterwards. (Of course, family and work have remained present and needed attention as well!) These are both time intensive and exacting pursuits. I found that building definitely took time away from training, and as a result, my flight training has taken longer, been harder, has consumed more hours, and been more expensive, than if I had done it sequentially, instead of in parallel. I joke that the thing that has been the biggest obstacle to me in finding time to train, has been an airplane, ironically.

At your age, if you were to get your private license first, I think you would be better off. My opinion anyway.

I think in my own case, since I did not have experience to guide some of the build decisions, I put more $ into the project than I might have if I had more flying time, and had better defined preferences.

On the other hand, my plane turned out beautifully, and my check ride is coming up...

Welcome to. Vaf and to aviation!!! Flying is a one of a kind experience that many can not appreciate, but for those of us who do, it is highly cherished. And we always long to be there again.

Bird

Last edited:
Fly

Fly, Fly, Fly!,, buy an airplane, fly, fly, fly. Build as an after work activity.
Fly a lot try and define your mission before you commit to a build.

I'm with Jay;
Fly as much as you can.
I started building an RV because it was the only way to get one at the time, but life interfered, and it took about 14 years to finish it. Good thing I flew first and built when it was rainy.
On the other hand, I started building it to 'get an RV-8', as time went on, I continued to build because I enjoyed it. Now it's done. I suppose I'll be a 'repeat offender' after I get thru phase 1 testing and it becomes a regular flyer.
I love that building...:p

I agree totally with Jay. I put 400 hours on a dozen different rides before I knew what I wanted to build. (I'm a slow learner). Another good reason to get some hours in your log book first is because you will almost stop flying at some point in the build to get it done, usually near the end and that is not what you want to do right before your first flight! Really helps to have those flying Experiences.

Welcome to the VAF world!

Will, while I think everybody has well meaning advice, and I certainly encourage you to actively fly as much as possible, don't let that mean you can't build too, once you are sure you are committed. The great thing about these kits is you start small with the empennage, and can get a feel whether this is for you or not without spending TOO much.

I say all this because like you, I am also younger, and a firefighter/paramedic, so finances are an issue. I did have my PPL before starting the build, and have since gotten my instrument rating, and hopefully commercial this year. What I'm saying is that where there's a will there a way. I take all the overtime shifts I can get to pay for flying and plane parts.

My reasoning was this: in 5 more years I will more than likely have a kid and more commitments to keep me from building. So if I don't start now, I may not be able to justify starting this project until I'm retired. I know I will have to cut back on the flying at some point to focus on family, and I'll have no problem with that, but at least the huge up front expense of building will be behind me and I'll have a plane I can hopefully get 40 years of enjoyment from. Compare that to retiring at 60, building for 4 years, and maybe getting 10 years of RV flying in.

I wouldn't reccomend building to somebody who really just wants a plane to fly, but if you enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction that comes from such a project, go for it. But do make sure your wife knows what she's getting into.

Good luck!

Chris

Back