What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Holyoke, CO and Valentine , NE?

glfrdug

Well Known Member
I am looking at flying to a golf tournament in CO and NE this coming Sunday....Departing Manistee, MI Sunday flying to Holyoke CO then up to Valentine, NE on Monday afternoon...returning to MI on Thursday.

Never having flown in that part of the country I was wondering if anyone calls this area home out there and has any comments as to what to watch out for?

Thanks in advance
Doug

The picture on airnav is one I took many years ago.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KHEQ

If no one responds, call the airport manager for needed info.

Do read the comments on the Airnav site. Sounds like a reasonable stop with multiple courtesy cars available.

Last edited:
I have been to Valentine several times. Nice airport with 24hr credit card pumps and flight planning. Right on the edge of town.

I believe there is an upscale golf course nearby that draws in some nice twins and business jets.

The wind can blow pretty good there but they do have 2 runways.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys.
Kelly....that golf course you are describing is why I am going out to Valentine....The Prairie Club. I am participating in a review of the property for future trip recommendations. 4.5 hours in an RV from Michigan beats 13 hours by car....at least if the weather participates.

High plains

Dont see any problems on this end. Better than it has been for a while. I'll bet there will be low clouds Sunday morning on your end, perhaps as far as NE Nebraska.

It is bumpy even when no storms from 11 till 8.

Typical afternoon thunderstorms hit Holyoke about 7. Valentine more midnight. Pretty calm in your window though.

You will enjoy the 50 mile plus visibility and low humidity!

I have been into Holyoke several times from Minnesota. There have always been a couple airport cars available. Only issue is sudden storms. Make sure your plane is tied down very very securely. It is always good to call the airport manager ahead of time to let them know your are coming and get the latest in regards to fuel, tie downs, cars, etc.

Warren
C170
Finishing RV7
Plymouth, MN

great golf

After building an RV, I think getting invited to play at Sand Hills in Nebraska would have to be way up there on my lifetime bucket list. Fairways and greens, Doug, and I love my Bell tail fork.

Trip Review

Both of the local airports were very nice with fuel at reasonable prices.

The flight out was an "experience" for sure. 7 1/2 hours of flight time due to strong headwinds and severe turbulence the second half of the trip.

Flew from Manistee, MI to Quincy, IL and stopped to refuel and make sure we had a gap to get through the front that cam across the Midwest last Sunday. The gap was there, all was good and off we go. 2.5 hours at 9500 feet and I figured I would go down with the first opening I came across as it was smooth air up there but only 115 kts.....
So, we dropped down and got clear at 4500 ft...but were battling 30 kts headwinds gusting to 40.....my passenger was not comfortable. 45 min later we gave up and luckily found Hebron, NE with a runway directly into the fan!
Took a break and refueled then flew direct to Holyoke, CO at about 1500 AGL to get a semi calm ride.

Ballyneal Golf and Hunt Club is amazing and a must play if you have the opportunity. A Tom Doak Classic.

Then Monday afternoon we topped up the tanks in 105 degree temps and headed to Valentine Nebraska....must have been 120 on that fresh blacktop....and the pumps kept failing. Two guys from the city came out and indicated the pumps will fail in the high temps. But they got us going.

Valentine was calm winds, cooler temps (85) and a very nice field. We got tied down, picked up by the golf director and headed out to Prairie Hills Club for 3 days. That night a storm blew through with 50 mile an hour gusts....thank god I tied it down good.

The two 18 hole courses at the Prairie Club were great, the lodging and food are first class and the little 10 hole par three course is a lot of fun.

Thursday AM departed at 8am central time and 3.5 hours later touched down in Oshkosh for fuel and a bathroom break.
Here is where it got fun.
After fueling up, I was taxiing to the south end of 36 for takeoff and my right main tire blew.....so into the grass we go and we had a 1-2 hour delay for repairs....
Once repaired a smooth 45 minute flight home over the lake.

That is my 4th blown tire....two on both sides. I need to figure out what is going on!

So...all in all it was a great trip, the RV performed flawless except the tire issue, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
We shipped our clubs with a new service called Caddy X. UPS picked them up and had them waiting on us. Then picked them up and shipped them home.

I was thinking that this may be a destination golf event that I could plan and get 4-8 guys to make the venture!

Cool

Cool, going to have to get invited to play Balyneal!

Takes a dedicated soul to press on in wind, heat and turbulence. I realized I have become a fair weather flyer!

Ballyneal

I live in Wray and have been to dinner at Ballyneal several times. I don't play golf, need gas money, but the resturant is fantastic. I don't think you have to be a member to play golf since the new owner took over.

Back