What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron stops

Joe Parish

Well Known Member
Finishing up the wings, wondering if I should put the aileron stops on now or is it better to wait till the wings get mounted and everything hooked up? Did not come up with anything in a search and plans are vague. Thanks

It depends on what kind of aileron stops you are using Joe. If stock per plans rivet them now. If other type (bushings) wait till final assembly.

Actually, I would highly recommend you wait until both wings are on as the down stop for one is the up stop for the other. If you wait you'll be able to make sure you have the max allowed travel. Plus, there's absolutely no challenge to doing it later.

I did mine per plans well before rigging and they turned out to be exactly in the correct positions. IIRC, to do them during/after rigging, you'd have to install and rig the aileron, then completely remove it again to install the stops.

I did both the delrin and factory plans stops (belt and suspenders?). I did both during construction of the wings.

IMG_8194-M.jpg

It is easy to rig them up like the photo to get them identically aligned when they are off the wings. I can't imagine doing this later in the build.

If anyone wants some of the delrin rod, I have extra for the price of shipping.

I did both the delrin and factory plans stops (belt and suspenders?). I did both during construction of the wings.

IMG_8194-M.jpg

It is easy to rig them up like the photo to get them identically aligned when they are off the wings. I can't imagine doing this later in the build.

If anyone wants some of the delrin rod, I have extra for the price of shipping.
Hi Bruce-
I think you'll find that the delrin stop will not work for the RV-9 unless you make the delrin diameter so large that it gets into the slipstream. I tried this too based on RV-7 success with it but found that the delrin rod (sized like that large area washer in your picture) resulted in way too much aileron travel relative to that called for in the RV-9 manual. Works for the -7/-8, but not the -9. Perhaps you did something else that makes it work, but I couldn't figure anything out. Went back to the regular stops which work quite nicely anyway.

Edit/Addition: IIRC the delrin did provide sufficient stop to stay within allowable travel in either the up or down direction. However, because the up stop on one ailron effectively serves as the down stop on the other, and because the travel limits are not equal both up and down, what works on one aileron in the up direction does not work on the other aileron in the down direction. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Back