What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag timing tool - recommendations?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Anyone have any recommendations for a magneto timing light/kit? I have dual Slick mags on a stock IO-360...just continuing to acquire what's needed prior to first engine start, etc.

Don't want to spend a fortune, but I also want something that is good quality...

Thanks!

Steve

Mag timer

Any of the mag timing lights mentioned are fine but do yourself a favor and also get a degree wheel that fits on the spinner for finding TDC. Makes it much easier to get exact timing without the contortions of trying to line up case halves and guessing.
My .02 worth.

been working well for me for over twenty years
Jim AP/IA
RV-6 O-320

index from the starter...

MUCH easier to index accurately from the front using the starter index whole if you have it...

Any of the mag timing lights mentioned are fine but do yourself a favor and also get a degree wheel that fits on the spinner for finding TDC. Makes it much easier to get exact timing without the contortions of trying to line up case halves and guessing.
My .02 worth.

been working well for me for over twenty years
Jim AP/IA
RV-6 O-320

I'm surprised nobody has teased you about getting rid of the caveman mags and going E-Mag. Then you have all the tools you need to time it between your nose and chin.....

I bought the Eastern version recently, same basic device, very easy to use and I have the index hole in the starter case plus the advance marks on the front of the flywheel. Crank the prop past TDC to get the impulse coupler to clank, if your mag has one, then ease back and dial the mags in. Takes a little time to dial each one in to fire right at the same time, but no different than timing any other engine in that regard.

At my recent annual, mine were close to the 25BTDC spec but one was a bit off, so it was nice to get them matched and on spec.

Back