What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I use RV-7 seat ribs in a RV-6

lancef53

Well Known Member
I am trying to build my RV6 with as much room as possible, and noticed the seat base ribs on a 7 are 1/2" to 1 1/8" lower that the ribs for my 6. Could I use the ribs for a 7 in a 6? would that cause any other issues?

The seat ribs in the six are part #F615-619 R & L.

Thanks for the help, Lance

It's probably possible, but......

It won't be a direct replacement. You will need to check on the height of the elevator pushrod and make sure you have enough room for it. There will most likely be other unforeseen issues also.
If I remember correctly, doesn't the -7 have a flat bottom skin? The -6 bottom skin is in a "V" shape to match the dihedral of the wings.
If you are using manual flaps, those dimensions will change.

Just remember, any one modification will always lead to many more.

Last edited:
IIRC there is an approved option for raising the canopy an inch or two.

Contact Vans for details.

RV6 seat ribs

Lance,
You can accomplish the same result by modifying the -6 ribs. Cut off the top flange of the ribs as needed, fabricate new flanges and rivet them on in the new, lower location. Leave the center ribs uncut to avoid problems with the flap housing, etc. Your will have a step up at the center rib(s). I did this for the pilot side only and it worked very well.

I have contacted vans, and they haven't been much help.

Yes, the 7 bottom is flat and the 6 is curved, so they won't be a direct replacement. How do I know the height of the elevator pushrod?

Is there info on how to raise the canopy? It has been mentioned, but no info seems to be available.

Thanks, Lance

Yes, the 7 bottom is flat and the 6 is curved, so they won't be a direct replacement. How do I know the height of the elevator pushrod?

Ken has the best suggestion here. Leave the 2 center ribs the old height. That will give you adequate clearance for the pushrod.
And as to the other ribs just cut the amount you want to lower the floor by the same amount off the top off each rib.

Is there info on how to raise the canopy? It has been mentioned, but no info seems to be available.

Thanks, Lance

Lance,

I am a tall guy also (6'4") and am planning to just use thinner cushions to increase my headroom. I have flown in a couple RV-7s with standard classic aero seats and had no headroom issues. I just plan to make my seats a bit thinner to make up for the difference. I also shifted my runner pedals as far forward as possible and will use a 1" seat back pad.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with kens suggestion, and go from there.

Thanks for the help!!

YEP!

Mel, since the floor bottoms are preformed to just drop in, won't new ones have to be made?

And also since they will be lower, the forward seat pans will need to be extended.
Like I said before, one modification always causes more modifications.

Thanks, Lance

Thanks to the wayback machine, a little canopy raising info here -

http://web.archive.org/web/20050213175903/http://home.mindspring.com/~rv6/RV6site/canopy height.htm

Back