What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd VHF COMM desired with Garmin System?

Chkaharyer99

Well Known Member
Friend
For those using the Garmin G3X system with any of the compatible Garmin radios (GTR 200, GTR 225, GTN 650...) featuring the Garmin comm frequency monitor function (listens to standby while monitoring the active), is one radio sufficient? or do you desire two radios? Why?

If you're in the two radio camp do you use an intercom, switch, or an audio panel? Why?

Is the Garmin comm frequency monitor function "choppy" or do you find it to be clear, coherent and understandable?

I'm a VFR pilot, fly an RV-8 with one comm, Garmin GNS 430W and a PS 1000. Considering a second comm and possibly an audio panel.

Your experience with the the newer Garmin Comm's and any advise about them is appreciated.

Thank you,

Charlie

I have a Garmin G3X system with a GTR200 and a GTR20 for communication. Good price point, about $1K each. The -20 is mostly a backup for IFR flying, but works just like the -200, but is remote mounted. The monitor function is clear and understandable. I also have a Garmin 425 intercom/audio panel. It has a lot of nice features that makes it very useful.

I have a Garmin G3X system with a GTR200 and a GTR20 for communication. Good price point, about $1K each. The -20 is mostly a backup for IFR flying, but works just like the -200, but is remote mounted. The monitor function is clear and understandable. I also have a Garmin 425 intercom/audio panel. It has a lot of nice features that makes it very useful.

He meant a Garmin 245 audio panel.

I find that having 2 comm's and an audio panel just makes life easier. You can have 4 frequencies loaded and ready to go.

I currently have a GTN 750 as Com1 and a GTR 20 as Com2. Having an audio panel makes it easier to monitor a standby freq on the "other" comm and then switch over to it with a single button push.

It is easy to swap Standby and Active freq's on both Comms, but having the audio panel makes monitoring the "other" comm much easier (1 button). It's a bit more "button pushing" on the touch screens to monitor the Standby freq's on either the GTR 20 or GTN alone.

If you have a panel mounted GTR 200/225 having the dedicated monitor button gives you an easy way to monitor the Stby freq on the active comm.

I have been flying with a single GNC255 for a few months now. It is sufficient for me for both VFR and IFR flying. The majority of my monitoring is for ATIS/AWOS information, Unicom while still with approach, and Guard enroute. The relative low transmission power of ATIS/AWOS stations is sometimes an issue but workable: I have to make that frequency the primary and turn off auto squelch sometimes, quick occasional flip flop while listening to make sure I don't miss a call (ADS-B in so I already have the weather information, just need the 'other' stuff and letter of the hour). Other types of frequencies being monitored are not choppy, easily understood if the primary is not receiving anything.

I am using the built in intercom and have no complaints at all after tweaking the settings to optimize for my particular cockpit acoustics.

Last edited:
I have a GTR200 and a GTN650. GTR is my primary radio as it works so good, is so easy to use, pulls up most of my freq's with the touch of a buttom, and sounds great. Stdby freq monitoring is just as clear as prim freq.

I use the GTN as com 2. Being able to have 4 freq's loaded is really nice for many operations.

I would definately spring for the 245 audio panel, can't imagine not doing an audio panel these days (with dual coms) with all the great features they provide for such a minimal cost.

I have done a couple of VFR panels with dual GTR200's and a 240/245, another great combo for minimal cost.

A nice feature of the audio panel is it allows you to listen to both coms at once rather than "monitoring" the second one with the push of a button. I use this feature quite a bit to get ATIS/AWOS/CTAF and use the #2 radio volume control to maintain balance between the 2 radios. Doing it this way ensures no missed calls.

Last edited:
I would definately spring for the 245 audio panel, can't imagine not doing an audio panel these days (with dual coms) with all the great features they provide for such a minimal cost.
IMHO VERY, VERY good advice.

:cool:

All of the ones I've done with a single radio usually come back for the second radio to be added.

Vic

Back