What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx ADS600-EXP Software Bug?

Jesse

Well Known Member
Navworx ADS600-EXP Software Bug!

I now have found 3 units running on software version 5.2.1 that do not output the weather or the number of ground stations. 2 are feeding AFS 5600's and one is feeding a GRT HX(-r, I believe). Does anybody have one of these units running this version of software (the newest from the Navworx website) that may be having the same problem.

As a side point, traffic is working perfectly on all 3 of these units and there are no errors shown on the FAA email report.

I talked to Bill and they can't find a software bug, but there must be something in there causing this.

Last edited:
I now have found 3 units running on software version 5.2.1 that do not output the weather or the number of ground stations. 2 are feeding AFS 5600's and one is feeding a GRT HX(-r, I believe). Does anybody have one of these units running this version of software (the newest from the Navworx website) that may be having the same problem.

As a side point, traffic is working perfectly on all 3 of these units and there are no errors shown on the FAA email report.

I talked to Bill and they can't find a software bug, but there must be something in there causing this.

My unit is the GRT HX above. I met with Jesse today to resolve another issue that required the EEPROM to be erased and reset to factory defaults (I couldn't get the Squawk code to display). I'd like to add that the above weather issue appears to be a NavWorks software issue as the Hx ADS-B Status counters for the weather & TFR's isn't counting. I haven't gotten a reply from GRT yet to get an idea on what they think...

Fred,
I went to the airport to get the config values for you.
Apparently, I had configure mine successfully for the 5.0.1 firmware and using that config software version. Navworx told me I had the 5.2.1. firmware.

Sooooo, I went to get your values and I used the new 5.2.1 software.
Bad news. I was forced to upgrade and it stalled several times during the process.
I left a VM and email for Bill.
I ended up restarting it as I was already dead in the water. The third time upgrading, I believe it finished. Messaging was terrible.

I did a reboot/power cycle of the UAT and then finally, was able to get some communications between the device and config software.

With my previous settings, my alt encoder & transponder now say "not ready for flight". Was "ready for flight" before.

At this point, I'm not sure whether it's accurate, but will do some OUT testing tomorrow.

Anyway, here's my settings from the 5.01, now 5.2.1
GRT Sport SX AltEnc1 = Gramin/Trimble, sent to UAT & GTX327
GTX327, IN=ICARUS, OUT=ICARUS
UAT alt encoder = ICARUS, 9600
TX Control Panel = GTX327(squawk only)
Display = GRT..., 115000

Will post update tomorrow following tests

Nothing personal, Dan, but I hope you don't get weather tomorrow. That will add more evidence of a 5.2.1 bug. If you do, then that would almost mean there's a hardware problem causing it.

I'll let you know tomorrow whether I'm getting weather. I did on the 5.0.1 version.

Fred,
I went to the airport to get the config values for you.
Apparently, I had configure mine successfully for the 5.0.1 firmware and using that config software version. Navworx told me I had the 5.2.1. firmware.

Sooooo, I went to get your values and I used the new 5.2.1 software.
Bad news. I was forced to upgrade and it stalled several times during the process.
I left a VM and email for Bill.
I ended up restarting it as I was already dead in the water. The third time upgrading, I believe it finished. Messaging was terrible.

I did a reboot/power cycle of the UAT and then finally, was able to get some communications between the device and config software.

With my previous settings, my alt encoder & transponder now say "not ready for flight". Was "ready for flight" before.

At this point, I'm not sure whether it's accurate, but will do some OUT testing tomorrow.

Anyway, here's my settings from the 5.01, now 5.2.1
GRT Sport SX AltEnc1 = Gramin/Trimble, sent to UAT & GTX327
GTX327, IN=ICARUS, OUT=ICARUS
UAT alt encoder = ICARUS, 9600
TX Control Panel = GTX327(squawk only)
Display = GRT..., 115000

Will post update tomorrow following tests

Interesting.... Here's my settings:

GRT Hx ALT Output set at Fuel/Air (Z Format), sent to GTX330 & UAT, 9600
GTX330, IN=FADC W/ALT for ALT, 9600
UAT alt encoder = Shadin Z
Tx Control Panel - GTX330 (Squawk only)
Display = GRT..., 115200

Currently meets FAA conformance spec, but not displaying any weather.

Interestingly, when we set Fred's GRT encoder output to Alt Encoder #1, the Navworx showed altitude of -1025, while the Shadin Z showed -100. We didn't test fully, but that didn't seem right.

This just in from Bill Moffit:

Jesse,

We can confirm there is a problem sending weather over the (hardware) Display port. The weather does function over the Wifi channel.

We?ll release 5.3.0 on Monday.

Jesse,

We can confirm there is a problem sending weather over the (hardware) Display port. The weather does function over the Wifi channel.

We’ll release 5.3.0 on Monday.

Hi Jesse, We are using WIFI-Ipad-WingX. Traffic shows up on the ground, will see what weather does today but looks like we are good to go. Thanks Jesse. Larry

Last edited:
This whole thing is very depressing. after finally receiving my exp, I have no information on this install where to get the "console".There is nothing on their website. now it sounds like it may not even work? im very sad.

Jesse,

We?ll release 5.3.0 on Monday.

Tested mine today with the 5.2.1 upgrade & I lost my weather.
Waiting for 5.3.

I talked to NavWorx yesterday and they said that 5.3.1 should have the bug fixed and should be posted today. A translation, 5.3.1 may have the bug fixed and should be out no later than Easter. :D

This whole thing is very depressing. after finally receiving my exp, I have no information on this install where to get the "console".There is nothing on their website. now it sounds like it may not even work? im very sad.

It's been a long journey but I believe from now on it will be stable.
Btw, I have no financial interest in NavWorx, just want a good reliable product.

Just to let you know, the 5.3.1 upgrade completed without errors & the fix corrected the weather issue on my GRT Sport SX.

Now I get traffic & WX, and the FAA has confirmed that I'm reporting without any issues.

Others that follow will have an easier go on the whole process.

I appreciate it

Dan,
Thanks to you and Jesse for your efforts on behalf of the rest of the herd that is following you. I installed my 600exp and antennae (GPS and UAT), but have not had a chance to finish the wiring or programming yet. I have an AFS 4500 and Garmin 327, so I will see how compatible that system is, hopefully this weekend.

Ver 5.3.1 Software

It's been a long journey but I believe from now on it will be stable.
Btw, I have no financial interest in NavWorx, just want a good reliable product.

Just to let you know, the 5.3.1 upgrade completed without errors & the fix corrected the weather issue on my GRT Sport SX.

Now I get traffic & WX, and the FAA has confirmed that I'm reporting without any issues.

Others that follow will have an easier go on the whole process.

I installed Ver 5.3.1 last night, and started getting weather pictures via the serial display interface while on the ground outside my hanger. I flew to X60 today and was able to get a count of 5 ADS-B stations and RADAR images. An interesting issue was that I was getting what looked like scan lines on the screen. These started going away as the RADAR images appeared. A note from Jeff at GRT:

"The blue crossed-out rectangles are "no-data" areas. This means the display hasn't received an ADS-B radar block for that area. It doesn't know if it's clear or stormy there. ADS-B sends radar data in small blocks spread over many transmissions. Each rectangle will go away one by one as radar blocks are received for the area they cover."

I was also getting the AWOS, TAF, and METAR data for selected airports.
So it looks like it's all working as advertised... But I'm planning on doing a bit more testing. One issue I found with the previous version was that if the ADS-B GPS signal was lost, the unit would not recover. (I found this while doing aerobatics....). So I want to test this version some more....

I installed Ver 5.3.1 last night, and started getting weather pictures via the serial display interface while on the ground outside my hanger. I flew to X60 today and was able to get a count of 5 ADS-B stations and RADAR images. An interesting issue was that I was getting what looked like scan lines on the screen. These started going away as the RADAR images appeared. A note from Jeff at GRT:

"The blue crossed-out rectangles are "no-data" areas. This means the display hasn't received an ADS-B radar block for that area. It doesn't know if it's clear or stormy there. ADS-B sends radar data in small blocks spread over many transmissions. Each rectangle will go away one by one as radar blocks are received for the area they cover."

I was also getting the AWOS, TAF, and METAR data for selected airports.
So it looks like it's all working as advertised... But I'm planning on doing a bit more testing. One issue I found with the previous version was that if the ADS-B GPS signal was lost, the unit would not recover. (I found this while doing aerobatics....). So I want to test this version some more....

As discussed with Fred yesterday, on my short test flight, I did experience some of these "no data" areas as I had to go to a 100 mile display for weather.
I went out again tonight, capturing 6 towers, and as Fred stated, once data was rendered, these scan lines "no data" areas vanished.
All looks good. BTW, I'm running the GRT Sport SX EFIS.

Last edited:
update

As fred did, I also flew to X60 I think he was departing as I was crosswind. I lost communication with the Ipad before getting off the ground, a reboot of the ipad was done and all was good after that.
GRT sport was getting traffic and the traffic would drop off and later would pop back up, at x60 I was pattern alt with one tower and grt was doing the same, traffic would pop up and drop off.

Please tell me how to determine how many towers are being received. AFS 4500 Navworx 600B. Thanks, Larry

Back