What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane power alternator flicking out

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Had an interesting issue arise today on a cross country. After flying for near an hour my alternator out light started flicking. Not solid light but flicking. This of course caught my attention as I am all electric dual batteries dual efii ignition. Since the light was flicking I suspected a bad wire or connector. I then paid close attention to the volts on my two batteries and neither of them were dropping at all for 50 minutes. Considering I had zero drop in volts I figured the alternator must be doing its job still and continued on to my destination. I figure tomorrow before heading back home at night I will pull the cowl and look for a loose wire or connector.

Any one else can into this before?

Thanks
Ryan

Ryan,
DanH had a thread about his PP having a poor connection within the connector to the alternator. Others have found the same. You might look at the thread, and procure a replacement connector locally, and use RTV to pot the wire exits from the connector body. The terminals, in his case, fretted and the increased resistance detempered the terminal so although it appeared reusable, it was not.

Maybe you will be lucky and this will address the issue.

Mine isn't a plane power, but did the same thing. I found the spade connector in the plug had broken in half from vibration, and was causing it. I replaced that one, and a couple weeks later, the main power wire did the same...I then had only battery power. I used some electrical quality silicon in the plug since to help minimize vibration.

I thought it may be connector related. Especially since I never lost any battery volts. Going to check it out this afternoon before departing back home tonight. Hopefully it is easy fix.

I found my alt field light would flicker but you would barely see it, just a slight illumination. The voltage had dropped some to 14v from the typical 14.2-14.5, I dropped my alternator and the repair shop said the alternator was not worth rebuilding as the bearings were also shot. New nippo alternator $160 and everything back to normal, alternator had 350 hrs.

Back