What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill Conduit Holes Closed Wing

DHRYCAUK

I seen one post where additional conduit holes where drilled in a closed wing with the use of extensions on removed wings, but is it possible on installed wings?

I am looking at installing additional wiring to both wing tips on my -8 and the existing wire conduit might not be able to pass the addtional wires. My biggest concern would be the inboard wing walk area...

Last edited:
Just a thought

Have you thought of possibly pulling the existing wire out of the conduit and making up a new loom with carefully aligned wiring and then reinstalling using wire lube. It's really amazing how much wire you can install in one of those conduits if your careful.
You might get into more trouble trying to drill new holes all the way out to the end. Give Stein a call. I'm sure he has a few tricks for solving your problem.

All said and done in not sure I would install conduit again. Wire can be fished through the access panels and wing tip pretty easily without conduit. Then zip tie it in place, done.

All said and done in not sure I would install conduit again. Wire can be fished through the access panels and wing tip pretty easily without conduit. Then zip tie it in place, done.

Interesting. I'm nearing the wing wiring stage (QB wings) and there are snap bushing already installed. My wingtip light wiring is a 4-wire jacketed affair that's decently stiff by itself (and more so when other wires are tie-wrapped to it) so I'm thinking of forgoing the conduit too and just using the existing snap bushings.

Have you thought of possibly pulling the existing wire out of the conduit and making up a new loom with carefully aligned wiring and then reinstalling using wire lube. It's really amazing how much wire you can install in one of those conduits if your careful.
You might get into more trouble trying to drill new holes all the way out to the end. Give Stein a call. I'm sure he has a few tricks for solving your problem.

My existing conduit is only 7/16" od, I wish the original builder would have gone 1/2". I was hoping to mount my 2 dynon compasses in the left wingtip but with 3 power wires already installed it will be tight. My install uses clear tubing as the conduit, I might be able to find a thinner wall tubing but worst case I could pull it and install snap rings. I really don't want to drill as it would be next to impossible to debur and remove the filings out with the wing installed.

The smooth black irrigation tubing fits right in the holes without the snap bushing. You can push it into a snap bushing at each end and crossdrill/safety wire it to keep it in place.

Back