What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-3 Brake hoses

rmarshall234

Well Known Member
Checking with the Brain Trust here. Those of you running the smaller -3 brake hoses...

Have you noted any negative effects in-use such as; reduced stopping effectiveness, brake fade, or increased foot pressure required?

I'm only planning -3 from the bottom of my Grove Gear to the brake calipers. And that, only for a smaller bend radius allowance. All else is -4. I ran a search but didn't find any after-action reports.

Thanks.

Checking with the Brain Trust here. Those of you running the smaller -3 brake hoses...

Have you noted any negative effects in-use such as; reduced stopping effectiveness, brake fade, or increased foot pressure required?

I'm only planning -3 from the bottom of my Grove Gear to the brake calipers. And that, only for a smaller bend radius allowance. All else is -4. I ran a search but didn't find any after-action reports.

Thanks.

I have -3 hoses from the fuselage to the caliper, no issues. My pedals are solid as rocks, they basically don't move.

The calipers are the RV are small, so the flow requirements are also very small. even a -2 hose would likely be sufficient, but I would have to look at the specs to be sure of that.

I have -3 hoses from the fuselage to the caliper, no issues. My pedals are solid as rocks, they basically don't move.

The calipers are the RV are small, so the flow requirements are also very small. even a -2 hose would likely be sufficient, but I would have to look at the specs to be sure of that.

Brake lines are not really designed to flow, they are designed to transfer power from one piston to another.

Those of you running the smaller -3 brake hoses....

No problem. You could run -2 and it wouldn't make an difference.

Like the man said, flow is near non-existent.

Attachments

• Brake Plumbing.jpg
    Brake Plumbing.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 133
Awesome. Thanks guys!

Understood regarding Flow. And, I seem to recall something in Hydraulics Class about "pressure being equal" throughout the system. That, plus your experiences covers it all.

All hoses, even braide teflon will expand an X amount under pressure. -3 has less expansion than -4 under the same pressure. Less expansion, firmer pedal.

Tom

I'm running 1/8 OD hardline (same as Bendix injector lines) from the firewall to the caliper on the Rocket. Did not notice any change in performance from the -4 that was on it originally.

My 2650 lbs GW Cutlass has #3 brake lines. More than enough braking pressure.
The RV-8 is as per plans, all #4 lines.

Back