What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt fasteners for cowling

RVDan

Well Known Member
Patron
I have an RV-6A that I am replacing the original cowl on. I have an expoy cowl and am debating on the attachment means. I have the hinge pins which are a simple engineering solution, but I find them a pain for maintenance and cleanliness standpoint. I am planning on going with the Skybolt fasteners and would like to hear about maintenance problems that you folks already flying with them have. Looking for real life data points on any problems. I am already aware of the need to reinforce the cowl to prevent pillowing. Cowl wear issues? Fastener failures? Ease of cowl installation and removal?

With regards to installation, any real issues with this as a retrofit for the hinges?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I have an RV-6A that I am replacing the original cowl on. I have an expoy cowl and am debating on the attachment means. I have the hinge pins which are a simple engineering solution, but I find them a pain for maintenance and cleanliness standpoint. I am planning on going with the Skybolt fasteners and would like to hear about maintenance problems that you folks already flying with them have. Looking for real life data points on any problems. I am already aware of the need to reinforce the cowl to prevent pillowing. Cowl wear issues? Fastener failures? Ease of cowl installation and removal?

With regards to installation, any real issues with this as a retrofit for the hinges?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

100% opinion here, and not exactly aligned with your question...

On the RV-6 I have hinges/pins down the horizontal cowl split and along the vertical sides of the bottom cowl. I have screws everywhere else.

The RV-10 has a similar setup, with skybolts swapped for the screws.

If I had it to do over again, I'd just use screws on the -10. I thought the skybolts were fiddly to install, plus they add a few hundred dollars to the cost. The on/off time savings comparing the skybolts to screws just isn't enough to justify the expense or the additional installation time.

Highly recommend the skybolts. Ours have been good for over 2000 hours. Makes the cowl real quick on and off so you don't hesitate to go in there for a looksee. Only issue I've noticed is on one or two of the studs the the cross bar came loose which allows it to fall out when removed. It wont come out once it's engaged, so it's not a safety issue, just annoying. After 2000 hours I figure I can spend $7 for a replacement.

One of my Cessnas had screws and if you didn't want to be there all day you needed a screw gun. This led to galled screws and slips and scratches.

My cowl is all Skybolt fasteners and it's slick. I have screws everywhere else...wheel pants, fairings, plenum, etc.... I can't imagine what a PITA having all screws on my cowl would be.

Attachments

• skybolt fasteners.png
    skybolt fasteners.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 346
Trick for Skybolt Cowl removal

The Skybolts grab everything like a bunch of treble hooks in a tackle box.

Getting the painted upper cowl on/off was risky.

I just added a few vegetable rubber bands and it keeps them retracted for the process.

Skybolt Tip 01.jpg

The Skybolts grab everything like a bunch of treble hooks in a tackle box.

Getting the painted upper cowl on/off was risky.

I just added a few vegetable rubber bands and it keeps them retracted for the process.

View attachment 16690

I may give that a try. I have just been using a little bucket and taking them out all the way each time. At one time I used O rings to hold them on. I really didnt like the pain the ring worked and how hard it was to get them off. It is like having a chain saw already without having the fasteners in the way too so I just took them out.

Mil spec

I have done 2 James Cowl upgrades on RV-6's....we have put a few hundred hours on them....both with full Mil Spec fasteners all around. Love them...install per instructions.....no issues removing or installing cowls.
Love them.
Retroing them will be a messing job obviously removing the hinges etc and installing the metal receiver strip on the firewall was a job in itself. I layed up a fiberglass strip on the horizontal split line which I like very much.
But very doable....you will love it.

I use the sky bolts for my cowl on the 3B. I do not use the retainer clips and just pull each bolt out completely when removing cowl. That way no damage from bolts. They are fast to use and are really well designed.

Bob Grigsby
Los Altos, Ca
Re-doing entire carb system on the 3. Stromberg carb would not work
Flying my Cub a bunch. Fun

Back