What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New FAA Reregistration

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
I got my notice of registration renewal yesterday. My current registration was listed on the FAA website as expiring on 30 June 2011. The letter required that I renew by 30 April 2011.

So even if I waited until the last minute, I would lose two months.

Being quick to act, I lose five months out of three years.

Suggestion, wait until the end of the renewal window which still cheats you out of two months...but not the five months because I blew it.

Will have to call AOPA tomorrow.

I'm interested in what AOPA's response was

I got my notice of registration renewal yesterday. My current registration was listed on the FAA website as expiring on 30 June 2011. The letter required that I renew by 30 April 2011.

So even if I waited until the last minute, I would lose two months.

Being quick to act, I lose five months out of three years.

Suggestion, wait until the end of the renewal window which still cheats you out of two months...but not the five months because I blew it.

Will have to call AOPA tomorrow.

Ron, if it is not too much trouble could you tell what the AOPA response was?

Bob Axsom

I may be mistaken but I think you will find that your new registration will be effective from the "expiration" of the old registration for 3 years, not from when your renewal is received. You shouldn't loose any "months".

I've sent an e-mail to Oklahoma City to see if I can get confirmation one way or the other.

Short Changed

I too decided I may as well get this taken care of. Once you get into the web site it warns you if you don't complete it all the way through you will not be able to come back and complete it on line. So, yes, you should wait until the last minute.

When you get your registration you will find that you have lost the couple months - or more. I was due to expire in March. I just received my new registration and now I expire in December. :mad:

Brought to you courtesy of the FAA. "We're not happy until you're not happy."

I hit the worst case situation. My initial registration for my Ercoupe was this last March (2010). I have already had to register mine, got the new one last week. Seems like quite a waste to re register only 10 months after registration. March people got hit first.

Yep, we just renewed our Cessna 421 at work, waited until the last minute and renewed this month (January 2011), old expiration was March, and we now expire January 2014...:mad:

I just got a renewal notice yesterday for one of our planes.
It took me 2 minutes online with a credit card for $5.00.
I don't see what the big deal is.

When I compare it to what it takes to renew my car every year, this is nothing.

I agree, it's not a big deal...right now. I wholeheartedly welcome the new registration fee, but it's gonna go up big time. :(

Bob, AOPA response was that this is a done deal. The new three year period is based upon when you renew...so in my case it is now January 2014. That is technically three years.

My old date of June 2011 was not updated to June 2014 as I expected. Stupid me.

Apparently you have three months to do it online. Then you have two months where you can do it by paper.

The big deal is that this is inept. Why can't I update/verify info online in June? I watched. The record was updated the day after I did the online option.

All I did was verify that the info was correct which in my case is just that my address is the same. If that is what they want, just send a letter out every three years and have people verify that they live in the same place. Then show a date when the info was last confirmed by the pilot.

No need for a new registration card.

Looks like a letter to my US Representative and Senators is needed.

I just got a renewal notice yesterday for one of our planes.
It took me 2 minutes online with a credit card for $5.00.
I don't see what the big deal is.

When I compare it to what it takes to renew my car every year, this is nothing.
Acceptance of government regulation truly is a slippery slope. Of course this is being presented to us in a pretty package. That way we can buy into the new process and accept it so that when they make changes later on, we are less likely to balk against any changes. We will have resigned ourselves to the fact that "this is just the way it is if I want to be able to fly".

I agree, it's not a big deal...right now. I wholeheartedly welcome the new registration fee, but it's gonna go up big time. :(
Absolutely correct! Here is a quote from the final rule (section V.c):

. . .The Federal Aviation Administration
Reauthorization bill (H.R. 915), if enacted as passed by the House of
Representatives on May 21, 2009, will provide the authority to increase
registration-related fees. The projected fees are higher than current
fees but reflect only the direct and applicable indirect unit costs of
the FAA Registry's Aircraft Registration Branch. The $130 registration
fee projected in the legislation would not apply as the fee for re-
registration or renewal. If estimated by the same method used for the
reauthorization bill, the fee for re-registration and renewal would be
about $45. . .

This clearly shows the FAA and the House of Representatives both expect to be able to increase this fee in the future.

This just in from Oklahoma City.

You guys are right. Here is the scenario I received from registration in Oklahoma City:

Scenario: My renewal expires 6-30-11
I receive the letter mailed in early January
I have thru 4-30-11 to renew on line.
If I re-reg on line on 2-11-11, the new
expiration is 2-28-14
If I re-reg on line on 4-30-11, the new
expiration is 4-30-14
May and June I have to mail the form.
The new expiration date is three years from the
last day of the month in which we accept the re-reg form.
If I mail it on 5-5 and it is processed on
5-19, the new expiration is 5-31-14
If I mail it on 5-5 and it is processed on
6-1, the new expiration is 6-30-14.

From this, it looks like it is best to use the mail.
Crazy!

I don't understand all the fuss.....

It only costs $5.00 to register an airplane. It's been that way for a long time. I haven't seen any indication that it will change with the new rules. Why are we moaning and groaning about $5.00? I just don't get it.

Nobody likes to pay our government for doing nothing. But if you look at most other countries around the world, we've got it pretty darn good when it comes to fees for flying. The FAA is the best value for my money that I get from our government! Yeah, there's lots to complain about at the FAA, but compared to everything else in our country, I'm pretty happy with them and I don't mind paying $5.00 or $500 every three years for what we get.

Just my two cents worth..............

Craig, feel free to send the FAA lots of money.

My current registration card has no expiration date. None, zip nada

Now I have to pay something every three years just to get a new card? What purpose does that serve?

If they want to know that RV-6A serial number X is associated with a certain N-number, individual and address, query me every three years and I will affirm that the info is still correct or change as required.

There is no need for an expiring registration card or to charge me $5 USD

Last edited:
It only costs $5.00 to register an airplane. It's been that way for a long time. I haven't seen any indication that it will change with the new rules. Why are we moaning and groaning about $5.00? I just don't get it.

Nobody likes to pay our government for doing nothing. But if you look at most other countries around the world, we've got it pretty darn good when it comes to fees for flying. The FAA is the best value for my money that I get from our government! Yeah, there's lots to complain about at the FAA, but compared to everything else in our country, I'm pretty happy with them and I don't mind paying $5.00 or $500 every three years for what we get.

Just my two cents worth..............
So you really don't care if a bureaucrat decides to increase your taxes or fees whenever he/she desires to do so? You are a politician's dream constituent!

As far as the statements about having it better than others around the world; I don't think having something that is just slightly "not as bad" as someone else's situation makes my situation GOOD!

Last edited:
It always baffles me when someone uses that kind of logic. Comparing America to Europe, for example, which some enjoy doing, leads to the inevitable conclusion that we have it pretty good here in the US, whether you're talking about healthcare, business, lifestyles or flying.

But, instead of enjoying that situation, some prefer to feel guilty about it and conclude that we should change it to be more like Europe. After all, that's only fair.

Because everyone else has higher fuel prices, more taxation, more limitations on when and where they can fly, WE should not enjoy our freedom to enjoy flying and should change OUR system to be more like theirs. Makes ZERO sense to me.

But hey, that's just me.

Like I said, "Just my two cents worth". I've got better things to do than gripe about $5.00 every three years.

Like I said, "Just my two cents worth". I've got better things to do than gripe about $5.00 every three years.

Other than Ron (sorry buddy!), I don't think this argument is about the five dollars. I could care less about $5 every three years, and if they're gonna charge something, that's SMALL potatoes to keep it registered. Heck it could be $25/year (arbitrary), and I wouldn't complain (our vehicles are $106 per year apiece right now!! :eek:), it's the fact that our fees are going to rise substantially, and there's no limit!! They say $130 for initial registrations, and $45 for re-registration, but that's can and probably will change, and it ain't goin down.

Now...just wait until the States catch on, we'll be punched TWICE!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
(our vehicles are $106 per year apiece right now!! :eek:)

Wow, that's actually quite good. My 8 year old pickup is about $280/yr and my wife's new car is $550/yr here in GA. I also get to pay ~$900/yr to the state each year for the privilege of owning my airplane.

It's not this $5, nor any one individual charge or new rule. It's the cumulative effect. One day you wake up and wonder why you can't afford to fly anymore.

Wow, that's actually quite good. My 8 year old pickup is about $280/yr and my wife's new car is $550/yr here in GA. I also get to pay ~$900/yr to the state each year for the privilege of owning my airplane.

Holy ****!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

You guys are sooooo lucky...

It always baffles me when someone uses that kind of logic. Comparing America to Europe, for example, which some enjoy doing, leads to the inevitable conclusion that we have it pretty good here in the US, whether you're talking about healthcare, business, lifestyles or flying.

But, instead of enjoying that situation, some prefer to feel guilty about it and conclude that we should change it to be more like Europe. After all, that's only fair.

Because everyone else has higher fuel prices, more taxation, more limitations on when and where they can fly, WE should not enjoy our freedom to enjoy flying and should change OUR system to be more like theirs. Makes ZERO sense to me.

But hey, that's just me.

I totally agree... Let me paint the picture on how it is on this side of the Atlantic...

I imported a RV-9 from Florida last year (on the best things I did during my 47years on mothership Earth) and apart from shipping fees, had to pay 19 % Value Added Tax to the Dutch Government :mad:. They also stole 4 % import tax :mad: which I succesfully reclaimed because aircraft are free from import tax... Now the fun begins..
Certificate of Registration and Certificate of Airworthiness were $ 504.00. Since we are so **** enviromentally concerned, each and every aircraft needs to have a Noise Statement which requires 7 passes over a fixed point, climb and level off to determine time and distance over an 15 meter obstacle and thereafter make 7 passes over a microphone. This takes the better part of two days, including all the paperwork and set me back $ 708 (Yes, you're not in a bad dream here... sevenhundred and eight dollars).. Allright, paperwork is complete apart from a Radio Certificate License which comes at $ 164.

Flying can start now. Not IFR of course, this is strictly forbidden for Experimentals and eventhough my 2007 RV-9 is fully equipped for IFR flight, with glass instruments and steam gauges to back things up, the clouds may only be inspected from the inside by tired and beaten spam cans with vacuum powered instruments. Night VFR is forbidden as well and so are airwork and commercial operations (to name just a few areas we must stay away from)

Landing at my home base requires me to pay $ 22.00 to the airport and $ 13.00 to Air Traffic Control for every touch I make.

100LL fuel is an area that I want to stay away from. It would bring tears to my eyes having to compare US and European fuel prices......

I'm not complaining, on the contrary, I love the fact that I have an aircraft at my disposal and love every minute flying it and I'm not cutting back on the number of hours I fly, life is too short to go slow :)..

I guess my point is that my American friends have all the right in the world to complain about the $ 5 the FAA wants every three years to renew your Certificate but I couldn't stop laughing about that and would most likely send them $ 50 to cover for the next 30 years. I would then grab my bicycle and head out to the airport to fly...

And to think, just the other day I was thinking to myself that Georgia might be a nice place to live. :rolleyes: Boy, no matter what the rest of the country thinks about my home state, I think I like living in Oklahoma.

But hey, that's just me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reason Don.

Bottom line, the GA community is not getting anything in return for a new tax. The five dollar cost is the camel's nose under the tent.

The registration on the Doll will not change until I either lose my medical or die. So where's the cost to the FAA? If I decide to sell her, the FAA can charge for the re-registration cost at that time. If they want to update their records, they can do that at very little cost on-line. But No........So I will re-register the Doll and change nothing in their records, and pay their forced fee for the privilege of doing so.

The cost to fly is growing and GA is shrinking. Just wait until the mandate for new equipment for air traffic control arrives! If you want an activity to decrease, tax it!

Last edited:
Whether it's $5 or $5 to the nth power (and it will go up), the reason and the lie behind this new revenue enhancement scheme are particularly irksome to me.

Reason: The FAA has confessed that their records are so screwed up they have to implement this program to reestablish a baseline. Since they couldn't keep up with the old once-in-a-while registration activity, are we really to believe they'll keep up now that they have a three year repeating cycle to labor over? Nah.

Lie: The story spun to the gullible media is it's a security issue. (That's the story I read in the Wall Street Journal. Really.) I'm sleeping better tonight knowing the FAA has a grip on who owns what. Like bin Laden's going to buy a plane in his name. Idiots.

John Siebold

Danny, I am not sure what you are saying but if a person fails to comply with this new process their aircraft certification may/will be canceled or similar effect.

Danny, I am not sure what you are saying but if a person fails to comply with this new process their aircraft certification may/will be canceled or similar effect.

I'm not saying that I'm not going to re-register my 8, I'm just agreeing with Don that the small five dollar cost to do so is only the beginning, and I don't want to be compared to any other country and be told how good I have it. For that matter, I don't want to be compared to any other state and be told the same. The voters have the ultimate power to assure that local, state, or national government is the servant, not the master.

Here in Texas we not only have great year around flying weather, we also have it better than most other states when it comes to the cost of aircraft ownership.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Danny. I am letting people who otherwise may not be aware of this issue so they don't get caught unaware.

There are multiple things about this process that are poorly implemented and potentially bad.

I also don't want to be told it is nothing because it is worse in another state or country. Those people can fight it or roll over. I will fight this nonsense even if I am the only person doing it.

Fast Aviation Administration

That was fast. 5 minutes online, $5 and one week later the new registration is here. :) Good till late 2014.

Reason: The FAA has confessed that their records are so screwed up they have to implement this program to reestablish a baseline. Since they couldn't keep up with the old once-in-a-while registration activity, are we really to believe they'll keep up now that they have a three year repeating cycle to labor over? Nah.

So just why are the records screwed up? Well, perhaps because aircraft owners have continually ignored mailed update requests from the FAA to update registration records, and because hundreds or thousands of aircraft owners never cancelled registrations after aircraft were removed from service either by accident or otherwise.

There has been an ongoing attempt by the FAA to update the Registry, but it is amazing how few paid attention to the effort until registrations started getting cancelled.

Short of sending a huge team of inspectors out to every airport to verify aircraft records, the new practice would seem to be the least onerous.

I agree that once a revenue stream is identified, there will be attempts to take advantage of it. And why the process is online for three months and then must be done through the mail is inexplicable, but the reasoning behind the effort is clear. A current aircraft registry is not a bad thing for aircraft owners and operators.

So just why are the records screwed up? Well, perhaps because aircraft owners have continually ignored mailed update requests from the FAA to update registration records, and because hundreds or thousands of aircraft owners never cancelled registrations after aircraft were removed from service either by accident or otherwise.

There has been an ongoing attempt by the FAA to update the Registry, but it is amazing how few paid attention to the effort until registrations started getting cancelled.

Short of sending a huge team of inspectors out to every airport to verify aircraft records, the new practice would seem to be the least onerous.

I disagree...

I believe it was screwed up because the triennial survey postcards did not have a "must reply" feature. If the info was correct you did not need to respond.

So all of those bad adresses, lost postcards and "why should I bother, I don't have the plane any more" issues had the same effect as a "good registration" and after a few decades the list got screwed up beyond fixing...:rolleyes:

The faulty triennial postcard survey system was the cause.

If you can register on-line, by all means do so. I waited until about 3 weeks before the registration was due and discovered I couldn't do it on-line any more. So, I downloaded the PDF form, filled it out electronically, printed it, signed it, sent my $5 bucks in and waited. About 12 weeks later I got a letter saying the form I sent was incomplete because it was missing the form number (you know the 6 pt font number BELOW the content of the form). I checked my photocopy of what I sent in and by golly that form number didn't print out. EVERYTHING else was there. The form d/l off the FAA website, completed correctly, the only flaw was beyond my control.

So, I printed the HTML formatted form, made sure it had the form number (as if you couldn't tell at a glance it was the right form) and filled it out by hand (my handwriting isn't very good, so I wondered if I'd get it back) and resubmitted it. Remarkably, it wasn't rejected but it took almost 2 more months of not flying, a couple of phone calls, and much frustration before I received my registration. With my luck I'm figure my first ramp check would occur about 24 hours before I received my new registration.

Unfortunately, for the past 3 years every contact I've had with the folks in Oklahoma has been like this.

What distresses me is that the FAA is one of the best working functions of the government.

We may be doomed.

Reminder to wait on Re-registration or lose months

Second re-registration yesterday for the Kitfox. Due to expire in June.

5$ again. Minor grumble.

Updated on FAA website as of today - that was quick.

Forgot to wait till last month & mail so now it will be due in Jan '16 not June. *#$&^

Last edited:
FAA collection of registration fees is covered by laws passed by Congress (the FAA Reauthorization Acts). That is, the authority to do so was given by elected officials...YOUR elected officials.

You know what that means...you elected them, you can unelect them, right? :)

It is not really the money or the PITA that it is.

It is more than a little irritating that because I did it online and early (which saves them hassle); I get penalized and will have my next redo moved up to Jan. At which time I very well may have forgotten that I actually should procrastinate and will move it up again.

It is not really the money or the PITA that it is.

It is more than a little irritating that because I did it online and early (which saves them hassle); I get penalized and will have my next redo moved up to Jan. At which time I very well may have forgotten that I actually should procrastinate and will move it up again.

Miss it by 30 days and you will get really penalized when your registration becomes totally null and void...:rolleyes:

Back